Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Williams causes trial to collapse, manipulates witness into false statement

• 29-04-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Came across these articles yesterday,
    Just as Paul Williams joins fellow hacks and liars at the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis, receiving a standing ovation.
    It emerged yesterday that he caused the collapse of a criminal trial after a witness alleged Williams forced him to make a false statement to Gardai after Williams told him he had no other choice as he was to be shot.

I find it incredible that a bigger deal is not being made of this, that a media and state darling like Willams is allowed to make a mockery of the court and justice system, and not be properly exposed for such wreak less carry on.....

The trial of a publican and two other men accused of demanding another pub close within 24 hours has collapsed following several legal issues.

John Stokes (55), who owns the Players Lounge in Fairview, Daryl Mulcahy (21), of Matt Talbot Court, and Derek Nolan (30) from north Dublin, had pleaded not guilty to demanding with menaces that Shane Simpson close the Castle Inn public house in Summerhill "within 24 hours" on March 13, 2011.

Mr Stokes, who has an address in the UK, also pleaded not guilty to the assault of Mr Simpson at the Castle Inn on the same date.

Judge Carmel Stewart told the jury that because of "an accumulation of matters" arising from legal argument, she could not allow the trial to continue. She listed the matter for next month when a new trial date will be set.

Before the collapse of the trial yesterday, Mr Simpson said he had lied about the allegations to gardai because Irish Independent Special Correspondent Paul Williams told him he was going to be shot.

Mr Simpson claimed that the statement he gave to gardai alleging the threats against him and the pub was false and that what really happened was more benign.

"I felt I had to lie in the statement," he told the court. "I know it was wrong but that's the reason."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/trial-of-publican-collapses-after-witness-says-he-lied-29225552.html

THE dad of Celtic star Anthony Stokes walked free from court yesterday after a judge dramatically called a halt to his assault and blackmail trial.
    Controversial bar owner John Stokes was accused of punching a rival barman and trying to bully his family out of business during the opening exchanges of the hearing on Tuesday.

But following three days of legal argument, the 55-year-old and his two North Dublin co-defendants — Derek Nolan, 30, and Daryl Mulcahy, 21 — emerged from Dublin’s Circuit Criminal Court with grins for the waiting cameras.

Judge Carmel Stewart earlier told the jury she could not allow the trial to continue because of “an accumulation of matters”.

All three accused — along with a fourth man who has since died and cannot be named for legal reasons — had previously pleaded not guilty to demanding with menaces on March 13, 2011.

Stokes, who owns the Players Lounge boozer in Fairview, Dublin, also denied assaulting Shane Simpson at the Castle Inn in Summerhill on the same date.

Before the trial’s collapse, the jury heard Simpson row back on his statements to gardai.

In one, he alleged Stokes had threatened him with the words: “We’re giving you 24 hours to close the pub down, 24 hours and that’s the end of you.”

He had also claimed that Nolan and Mulcahy had chased him down a street — adding that he soiled himself with the fear of being killed.

But when confronted with his account in court, Simpson insisted he had lied about the chase and the 24-hour “threat” was simply a timeframe for his brother, pub owner Stephen, to contact the accused.

Explaining his change of evidence, Simpson told how he made the false allegations after crime journalist Paul Williams warned him that he was going to be shot.

He claimed Williams convinced him that, if he didn’t “go further” with the matter, his life would be in danger and he would have to leave the country for good.

Mr Simpson said: “I felt I had to lie in the statement. I know it was wrong but that’s the reason.”

He was the only witness to take the stand during the four-day trial.

Dismissing the jury yesterday, Judge Stewart thanked them for their time and re-listed the matter for May 9, when arrangements for a new trial will be made.

The date will most likely to be set for next year.

irishsun@the-sun.ie

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/4905221/Stokes-da-threat-trial-collapses.html?fb_action_ids=110475825821632&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

He's a twat. So are all of those full of themselves tabloid crime correspondents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Explaining his change of evidence, Simpson told how he made the false allegations after crime journalist Paul Williams warned him that he was going to be shot.

He claimed Williams convinced him that, if he didn’t “go further” with the matter, his life would be in danger and he would have to leave the country for good.

That's actually beyond belief.. even for Williams.

Surely a criminal case could be brought against him for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mr Stokes, who has an address in the UK:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Williams is a twat
    However there is no proof that he really influenced the witness it might be that the witness has changed his statement now due to coercion from a third party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tigger wrote: »
    it might be that the witness has changed his statement now due to coercion from a third party

i was thinking the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

To think people form their opinions from the likes of Williams and co.

It's him that gives these people nicknames all to sell his books and stories.

I wonder how many deaths he is responsible for, from printing his lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Stokes should be done for wasting police time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Williams is a twat
    However there is no proof that he really influenced the witness it might be that the witness has changed his statement now due to coercion from a third party
    If you read statements from the trial of the victims it seems they are not as innocent as they made out, they admitted threatening people too.

Both parties seem guilty of threatening each other.

Even if there was interference from a 3rd party surely the gards have a duty to investigate the allegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I stopped reading after this ,
    ".....that a media and state darling like Willams......"

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Valetta wrote: »
    Stokes should be done for wasting police time.

It's the police who put Stokes on trial, he surely didn't want to be on trial did he?

And surely it's Williams and this Simpson person who should be done for giving false statements and influencing a false statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lovely fella's

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

I stopped reading after this ,

And he's not, sure how many shows have RTE and TV3 commissioned for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

And he's not, sure how many shows have RTE and TV3 commissioned for him?

He isn't, he is gutter press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

To think people form their opinions from the likes of Williams and co.

It's him that gives these people nicknames all to sell his books and stories.

I wonder how many deaths he is responsible for, from printing his lies.

That's Paul 'The Bollix' Williams to you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Williams is a twat

Yeah, but this should still warrant a full investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"A fourth man who has died since...""

Wonder did he die of natural causes in broad daylight in North Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Omackeral wrote: »
    "A fourth man who has died since...""

Wonder did he die of natural causes in broad daylight in North Dublin?

He fell on top of that bullet your honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Just waiting for the day that Paul Williams gets killed off by one of the criminals he's always writing about. Only a matter of time I'd say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Williams has set himself up as some kind of inquisitor. The self appointed criminal justice hack was the main reason why Foley was able to set up Viper Debt Collection. His name was so terrifyingly enhanced by Williams' gutter journalism. Most of the "exclusives" that he has printed could be picked up in bars in the right area long before they went to press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Just waiting for the day that Paul Williams gets killed off by one of the criminals he's always writing about. Only a matter of time I'd say...

You'll be waiting. He has about as much relevance as a boil on their arse.

A complete nonentity and establishment mouthpiece. He's a political correspondent these days rather than a crime one in any case.

He got it spectacularly wrong on the Garda Donoghue murder and nobody held him to task on it. He's a bit of an irrelevance when it comes to important matters like that if truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Well, he always seems to find a bomb under his car the week he has a book out....

Maybe it'll be like the boy who cried wolf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

That's actually beyond belief.. even for Williams.

Surely a criminal case could be brought against him for that?

Don't hold your breath on the hope of that happening My name is URL!

Advertisement