Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Register Ireland Scam: Calls from Czech Debt Collector

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everybody,

I know this is resurrecting a topic that was around two years ago but the company I work for very stupidly signed the "internet register Ireland" form and sent it back to Germany and have since been sent invoices totalling over €2000 as payment for listing on some website that we didn't want to be listed on. We ignored the letters and they eventually stopped.

However about a month ago I got a call from a Czech debt collection agency "Cross Border Recovery". They have a legit looking website www.cb-recovery.com and the guy I spoke to was British and very polite and professional. On the phone I told him that it was a scam and we shouldn't have to pay and he asked could he email me everything, which he did. I've been ignoring the phone calls since and I got another email today saying that if we don't pay by the 3rd May they'll refer us to their legal dept.

I've read a lot of forums about this and the advice was always to ignore the letters, even if you'd signed the form as they can't pursue you through the courts in another country. But this crowd seem really slick and I'm not so sure. Surely it would cost more than €2000 to take it much further? And would it have a chance in court anyway?

Has anyone else come across them? I know loads of companies signed up to this scam in 2010/2011. Are we the only ones receiving these calls?

Any advice would be great or if anyone can let me know if they're in the same boat.

Aside from the fact that we can't afford to pay, I feel like if we do pay, we're just funding them to run more scams like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I've read a lot of forums about this and the advice was always to ignore the letters, even if you'd signed the form as they can't pursue you through the courts in another country.

You received great advice in any forums you checked about this and yet you are choosing to ignore all that sound advice?

To put it simply, you should not engage further with these people, the more calls people answer the more bull these scammers will invent such as taking you to court from another country!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Entreprenurial & Business management, as this is a business matter and not a Consumer Issue

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

But they can take you to court in Ireland and any judgement is enforceable in Ireland. The question is would they go to that expense, and would an Irish court uphold the validity of their contract, especially if it is clearly duplicitous... I would tell them to go ahead and issue proceedings, and advise them that this kind of contract has already been struck down by the Irish courts. ( It will cost them to find out if that is true or not!) Bet you hear no more!

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I'd suggest telling them that you've consulted your solicitors firm and they are keen to get the matter to court to recover the money spent to date. That will be a red flag to them and stop the calls.

Advertisement