Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Back Pages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Since I have recently been nominated for a prestigious literary award I felt guilty at not updating my training log. I haven't let the training slip, I started to run before breakfast to try to train the fat burning system that's believed to help marathon running. Ive done 4 or 5 10 milers and a 16 miler @ 7 minute mile pace before eating in the morning. I was dreading these runs as before when Ive ran without eating Ive suffered with energy and low blood sugar issues. This time however they have gone great and I actually feel better than on my normal runs. I think this will become a feature of my training from now on.
    Put in some solid sessions over the last few weeks too 12x 400 in 72 ,1 mile 5:21 3x 200 33 and 2x 3 miles @ 5:30 pace. Also this week I did 2x2.5 miles 13:21 13:37 2x 1 mile 5:25 5:30 with 4 mins between the 2.5 and the miles and 2 mins between the reps.
    I won a local 10k race last sunday in 33:28 splitting 16:59 16:29 on a course with a tough enough 1st half so that was encouraging for bleek mid winter.
    I have let the core and strength stuff slip tho and feel the worse for it so that is something Il be looking to improve on as I look forwar to 2014.
    Feeling positive about next year with Rotterdam in April and another 2:30 attempt. After that I don't have a solid plan but would like to run the world 100k in Lativia in August if all goes well and I can gain selection.
    ! should hit 3000 miles for the year in the next week or so and that will be the 4th year in a row over that mark and 13000+ miles in that time. I feel I need to get reward from that effort and not see it wasted, its up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Since I have recently been nominated for a prestigious literary award I felt guilty at not updating my training log. I haven't let the training slip, I started to run before breakfast to try to train the fat burning system that's believed to help marathon running. Ive done 4 or 5 10 milers and a 16 miler @ 7 minute mile pace before eating in the morning. I was dreading these runs as before when Ive ran without eating Ive suffered with energy and low blood sugar issues. This time however they have gone great and I actually feel better than on my normal runs. I think this will become a feature of my training from now on.
    Put in some solid sessions over the last few weeks too 12x 400 in 72 ,1 mile 5:21 3x 200 33 and 2x 3 miles @ 5:30 pace. Also this week I did 2x2.5 miles 13:21 13:37 2x 1 mile 5:25 5:30 with 4 mins between the 2.5 and the miles and 2 mins between the reps.
    I won a local 10k race last sunday in 33:28 splitting 16:59 16:29 on a course with a tough enough 1st half so that was encouraging for bleek mid winter.
    I have let the core and strength stuff slip tho and feel the worse for it so that is something Il be looking to improve on as I look forwar to 2014.
    Feeling positive about next year with Rotterdam in April and another 2:30 attempt. After that I don't have a solid plan but would like to run the world 100k in Lativia in August if all goes well and I can gain selection.
    ! should hit 3000 miles for the year in the next week or so and that will be the 4th year in a row over that mark and 13000+ miles in that time. I feel I need to get reward from that effort and not see it wasted, its up to me.
    Retain your Manulla 4 miler title and that's that ticked off so!

Any plans on how you might bridge the distance gap from marathon to 100km next year or is it too early to be thinking about that? Do you feel that you will naturally ease back into the (assumably) higher training mileage?

Well Its been a while since I updated this log of mine. I got a bit lazy. Anyway I have been training away and have hit a bit of form. Ive been averaging 75 miles a week for the last 10 weeks plenty of Long runs, 10 over 2 hours with most of those over 2.30. Sessions going well too and Bohermeen Half marathon last weekend where I went within 12 seconds of my pb, so Im confidant Im on course for a marathon pb in Rotterdam in 5 weeks and maybe that elusive 2:2x. Ive been here before tho and messed it up so definitely taking nothing for granted. I did 25.3 miles yesterday @ 7 min mile pace so reaching a peak now, Just need to keep it going for another couple of weeks.

Sun 10

10 x 1k 3:13 avg off 70 sec recoveries, felt controlled and comfortble. Surprised how lively I felt after long run yesterday. 14.5 miles total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great running last week JB!!

• Advertisement

Mon 10

6.17 miles 45:00(7:17p)
    40 mins strength/core work

Tue 11

3.7 miles w/up 25:39
    3 miles in 16:02(8x 400(75/76sec) 200(45sec)
    3 mins jog
    4 miles 22:07(5:30,5:35,5:33,5:28)
    1.5 mile c/dn @7:48p
    45 mins strength/core

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Can I ask a little about your strength/core work UP, it seems to feature very heavily in your day to day training. Could you give a rough overview of what you do when you get a chance? Do you include weights in that as well

Excellent result recently in Bohermeen, fair play!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Can I ask a little about your strength/core work UP, it seems to feature very heavily in your day to day training. Could you give a rough overview of what you do when you get a chance? Do you include weights in that as well

Excellent result recently in Bohermeen, fair play!

Hi pconn, ya was happy with Bohermeen felt strong. Regarding my strength work its very basic and of my own design. I do basic stuff like pressups, situps,various types like feet up,weighted, arms outstretched, on the ball etc. A lot of planks and advance it arm raised leg raised etc. I have a few weights at home and a bench so bench press, bicepcurls , standing row, bent over row and tricep dips. I lift fairly heavy and medium reps (8-12). I often intend to get proper instruction and a programme done up for me but the urge goes easily and I forget about it. Im not sure if what Im doing is even helpfull to my running but I feel better in General when I add a bit of strength work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi pconn, ya was happy with Bohermeen felt strong. Regarding my strength work its very basic and of my own design. I do basic stuff like pressups, situps,various types like feet up,weighted, arms outstretched, on the ball etc. A lot of planks and advance it arm raised leg raised etc. I have a few weights at home and a bench so bench press, bicepcurls , standing row, bent over row and tricep dips. I lift fairly heavy and medium reps (8-12). I often intend to get proper instruction and a programme done up for me but the urge goes easily and I forget about it. Im not sure if what Im doing is even helpfull to my running but I feel better in General when I add a bit of strength work.

Thanks for that, looks very comprehensive anyway and it clearly works for you.

Wed 12

10 miles 71:11(7:11p)

• Advertisement

Thu 13

2.65 miles w/up 18:46(7:06p)

2 miles 10:33 1:50 jog recovery
    1 mile 5:08 90 sec jog rec
    1 mile 5:06 90 sec jogrec
    800 2:30 90 sec jog rec
    800 2:30 90 sec jog rec
    400 70 sec 90 sec jog rec
    400 71 sec 90 sec jog rec
    400 71 sec

2.15 miles c/dn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

so Im confidant Im on course for a marathon pb in Rotterdam in 5 weeks and maybe that elusive 2:2x. Ive been here before tho and messed it up so definitely taking nothing for granted.

Great run In bohermeen JB. Why do you think the sub 2:30 hasnt worked out before? I know people who've run 73mins for the half and gone sub 2:30 so its definitely on.

tunguska wrote: »
    Great run In bohermeen JB. Why do you think the sub 2:30 hasnt worked out before? I know people who've run 73mins for the half and gone sub 2:30 so its definitely on.
    Thanks Eoin, Bohermeen was a good run for me but only a stepping stone, I hope.The thing Id say regarding previous failures at 2:30 is that the time can be strangely underestimated. Running fast halfs and a bunch of mid 2:30s isnt a garuntee. There is a HM x 2 +8 mins rule of thumb but to be honest I dont think there is any relation between the half and full. It takes a significant mount of talent combined with hard work to run sub 2:30 and obviously the more talent you have the easier the task will be. If Im capabable of 2:2x Im only just. Also my fueling has been hap haphazzard. When I ran my pb (Dub 08 2:32:45) I didnt even take on water let alone carbs and dropped 1:45 in last 3 miles when I hit the wall. I have a belief this time tho and a fueling plan and also the knowledge that at 39 I dont have an awfull lot more chances.Some luck between now and the race a proper taper and Il be in a position to give it a good shot at least, and if its not good enough I can live with that.

Cool sounds like a plan. Hopefully it wont be too hot on the day. I'll keep an eye out for your result.

Fri 14

6 miles 41:30(6:55p)
    40 mins strength/core

Sat 15

2.5 mile w/up 18 mins
    14 miles @ marathon pace 1:20:00(5:43)
    1.4 mile c/dn 10:30

This run as just inside 2:30 pace, conditions were windy and it was done on the long loop in lough lannagh so had a nice long gradual hill on each of the 8 1.75mile loops. Slowest lap was 10 flat quickest 9:54 so it was nice and even paced. Felt tiredness in my legs from the start after a high intensity week. Good to have it in the bag.

Sat 16

8.1 miles 57:20(7:04p)
    25 mins core/strength

Sun 17

24.08 miles 2:46:54(6:56p)
    Easy 16.5 miles @ 7:10 ish pace on a hilly course,to start then 6 miles @ MP and 1.5 miles back to car. Didnt hit the pace on the 6 mile segment that I wanted because of fatigue and a strong breeze.last 6 miles 6:04,5:58,5:52,5:52,5:47,5:51. This run,like all my long runs in this build up,was done before breakfast and to be honest it felt hard today.I think the effort was there and thats the important thing. Tough this weekend watching all the race results pouring in while I put the effort into solo trainings but its all to the greater good, inside the last 4 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

hey UP, that's some run to do without food, i do my long runs without food also, nothing to that extreme though, would you ever bring an emergency gel?

jfh wrote: »
    hey UP, that's some run to do without food, i do my long runs without food also, nothing to that extreme though, would you ever bring an emergency gel?

I take an energy drink before the marathon paced segment some times but I dont realy feel it makes a lot of difference to me to be honest. My long runs are done on various laps so I have the comfort blanket of knowing Il be passing house or car every 45 mins or so.

Tue 18

5 miles 35:15(7:04p)
    40 minscore/strength

Wed 19

10 miles 72:33(7:15p) pre breakfast
    20 mins "heavy" weights

Thu 20

2.65 miles w/up 19:42
    5 x 2k (1lap recovery in 1:45- 1:50) 6:39,6:39,6:36,6:32,6:38
    very windy on the cinder track where I did this workout so times were 10 seconds behind what I hoped for. Felt good tho.

Fri 21

5.1miles 37:52(7:26p)
    45 mins core/strength

Sat 22
    13.5 miles 1:34:16(6:58p) pre breakfast

Sun 23

4 mile w/up 27:20
    8x 800(60 sec jog recovery) 2:27,2:29,2:28,2:28,2:27,2:28,2:30,2:30.
    2 miles c/dn 14:45(721)

• Advertisement

Mon 24

11.27 miles 1:21:35(7:14p) pre breakfas run
    1 hour core/strength
    T minus 19, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Gluck with your taper....only saw the thread last week but really enjoyed reading back through the pages.

I'll be in rotterdam aswell and hoping for low 2.40's so might see you beforehand but definitely not during!! All depends how the taper goes over next few days.

Best of luck and hopefully we'll get good weather!

cgooner wrote: »
    Gluck with your taper....only saw the thread last week but really enjoyed reading back through the pages.

I'll be in rotterdam aswell and hoping for low 2.40's so might see you beforehand but definitely not during!! All depends how the taper goes over next few days.

Best of luck and hopefully we'll get good weather!

Good luck yourself. As you say taper is important, work should be mostly done now and the aim for us is to get to start line fresh.Im looking forward to it . Hope to see you there.

Tue 25

13.58 miles 1:32:42(6:50p) pre break fast, last 20 mins @ 5:48p avg n a hilly course.

Wed 26

7.7 miles 55:36(7:13p)
    1 hour strength/core

I ran my first ever 1 mile race last night and hit 5:51 for it...Dunno how you manage it over 25.2 more miles!

Any chance you will go for a trot in Belcarra the Sunday before Rotterdam (April 6th) for the 8k?

belcarra wrote: »
    I ran my first ever 1 mile race last night and hit 5:51 for it...Dunno how you manage it over 25.2 more miles!

Any chance you will go for a trot in Belcarra the Sunday before Rotterdam (April 6th) for the 8k?

I wont do Belcarra John, its just too close and I dont want to fall into that trap again. Sarah may run it tho so I might go for a look. I take it youl be running yoursrlf? If you can run a mile at that pace you can hold it for 5k with a bit more speed endurance, when you can hold it for 5k you can hold it for 8k etc.... Distance running is based on strength not speed and that is ignored a lot of the time.

I wont do Belcarra John, its just too close and I dont want to fall into that trap again. Sarah may run it tho so I might go for a look. I take it youl be running yoursrlf? If you can run a mile at that pace you can hold it for 5k with a bit more speed endurance, when you can hold it for 5k you can hold it for 8k etc.... Distance running is based on strength not speed and that is ignored a lot of the time.

Yep, I'll be running it alright. Might see ya there if Sarah decides to do it.
    Ah yeah, sure i know myself about holding the pace over longer distances but it's just the putting it into practice bit that gets me!
    Hope the taper goes well for a great 2:2x in Rotterdam!

Thu 27

2.13 mi w/up 16:14(7:37p)

11 miles MP 1:02:27(5:42p) 44 laps of Beleek cinder track which I suspect to be a little long. Garmin has distance at 11.25 miles and pace 5:33. More garmin controversy but Il record the official for fear of upsetting anyone. Felt controlled and comfortable throughout.
    5x 150 meter hills 5k effort.

2.2 miles c/dn 15:45 16 miles total

Thu 27

11 miles MP 1:02:27(5:42p) 44 laps of Beleek cinder track which I suspect to be a little long. Garmin has distance at 11.25 miles and pace 5:33. More garmin controversy but Il record the official for fear of upsetting anyone. Felt controlled and comfortable throughout.

I've been there, not pleasant at all but very effective. That must be it with the hard sessions at this stage, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Thu 27

Not so fast ultrapercy. You can't be making comments like that and expect to get away with it. We want to see garmin traces, satellite images of the track and GPS coordinates.

I'm on the way to Beleek as we speak with my walking metre wheel, measuring tape and 1980s school style wooden ruler. I'm going to bring ultraman1 as an official AAI measurer (he may not be reliable however, he has measured Morton stadium track anywhere between 380-450 metres in the past ;)) I'm also going to print out all 2,813 posts from the garmin megathread as reference material.

Put the kettle on, the cavalry are a coming :)

Advertisement