Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Back Pages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Im resurrecting this log after a summer recess mainly so that there will be a training log on boards thats about training. The summer has not been good running wise. I have struggled with motivation brought about by general fatigue or vise versa but I havent missed many training days and I have done a fair bit of strength work. The National Half Marathon went as well as could be expected but 73:56 is over 3 minutes slower than I ran last March , albeit on a tougher course. So with 10 weeks to Dublin there is plenty of work to do but time to do it as I still have a big base of strength behind me.
    This week had me doing 19 miles on Sunday at 6:53 pace overall (last 10 at 6:35) and yesterday was 10 miles hilly tempo at 5:56 pace. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Looking forward to following your training for Dublin and hope it goes to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great to have you back. I have really enjoyed reading about your training. One of the logs that I have found personally very beneficial. Best of luck with the training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to have you back. I have really enjoyed reading about your training. One of the logs that I have found personally very beneficial. Best of luck with the training!

+1 to this.

Great to have someone of your quality along here.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it and am delighted if others find my training log helpfull.

Wedensday 20

10 miles @ 7:03 pace

Thursday 21

1.75 mile warm up/cool down
    6x 1 mile cruise pace off 60-70 sec recoveries 5:35 5:29 5:31 5:25 5:41 5:26
    out and backs so wind on out leg slowed things down a fair bit. Never pushed too hard in this session and it felt very comfortable.

Fri 22

8 miles 56 mins

Sat 23

very messy day had to abandon afternoon intended session because of back pain that has been bothering me all week. Did 7.5 miles inc. 1.5 miles and 1 mile @ 5:45 pace before I was forced to pull the pin.
    Feeling twisted and crooked afterwards but I decided to try something in the evening anyway, managed another 7.5 miles progression run avereging under 6 min miles with last 5 at 5:45 pace. Surprisingly my back/neck felt much better and freer afterwards. Appointment with chiro on Monday to try and sort out this problem that has bothered me off and on since 2007. Anyhow, 81 miles for the week and as per every other year, since I began running, the onset of Autumn has revived my motivation.

Sun 24
    20.57 miles 2:21:23(6:52p)
    very hilly and very tired at the end, held the pace well tho.
    Pints now to ease the torment of what may be another Croagh Park slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Pints now to ease the torment of what may be another Croagh Park slaughter.

Some second half performance! Initially, I didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed with the result but definitely happy now given where we were at half time and the last two missed chances from Kerry!
    Maigh Eó Abú!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Some second half performance! Initially, I didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed with the result but definitely happy now given where we were at half time and the last two missed chances from Kerry!
    Maigh Eó Abú!

Some display in the second half, especially after losing their best player to a harsh red. After 4 years on the road it would have been very easy to throw the towel in but they showed real guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Harsh red card? More like the softest red card ever given. Don't worry, Mayo will win handily on Saturday. Unfortunately, you'll get a lesson in how to play football against Dublin in the final and the curse will grow a little bit bigger :)

Harsh red card? More like the softest red card ever given. Don't worry, Mayo will win handily on Saturday. Unfortunately, you'll get a lesson in how to play football against Dublin in the final and the curse will grow a little bit bigger :)

Yes I think it may all end ultimately with defeat to Dublin regardless of who wins the replay but theres nothing shameful about being 2nd best behind a team of that quality. Mayo always put it up to Dublin too and if they get over Kerry they will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Despite all the hype, Mayo dont have a bad record against Dublin over the last few years.

J, are you going to defend your title in the Athlone Flatline HM on the 13th? If not you might consider the Westport Parkrun. Its our first anniversary and we're inviting everyone who's run throughout the year. As the course record holder we'd love to see you back. Free coffee afterwards and spot prizes! How can Athlone compete with that?:)

Unfortunately wont be there myself, I'll be in Athlone.

snailsong wrote: »
    Despite all the hype, Mayo dont have a bad record against Dublin over the last few years.

J, are you going to defend your title in the Athlone Flatline HM on the 13th? If not you might consider the Westport Parkrun. Its our first anniversary and we're inviting everyone who's run throughout the year. As the course record holder we'd love to see you back. Free coffee afterwards and spot prizes! How can Athlone compete with that?:)

Unfortunately wont be there myself, I'll be in Athlone.

Yes the flatline is the plan but Im sure it will be a much better quality field this year. I notice that my Westport Parkrun record is under a lot of pressure lately.
    Mon 26
    7 miles recovery 7:40 pace

Tue 27
    10 miles 1:10:19(7:02p)

Still having a lot of trouble with my back and its a worry at this stage. Im running with completely different form because of it. One session with Chiro and it did help another one for Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Quality wasn't bad. I ran 1:29:xx and was just outside the first 100...

A few tourists in Westport ran fast recently. You might need to come back and raise the bar.

Wed 27

4.7 slow miles, warmed up to do a session but bac discomfort and general low energy caused me to nock it on the head.

Thu 28

2 mile w/up 15mins
    10 miles hilly 58:49
    1.2 mile c/dn 10 mins
    feeling a lot better today after trip to Chiropractor, she recommends a stretching programme as I am very lacking in flexiblity.

Fri 29 Aug

10 miles 1:09:40

Sat 30

13 miles inc 9 miles at 6 min/mile

Sun 31

15 miles @ 6:53 pace

!st September

6 miles 44 mins

Tue 2

5 miles 6:57p

Wed 3

1.2 miles 1 min !! shortest run ever. Still struggling with back problems and energy is very low.

Thu 4

5 miles 37:10

Fri 5

8.5 miles hilly @ 7:10 pace, this was possibly the best run I ever did. Met up with a friend of mine who is a talented sports massage therapist and he fixed my back. It too him about 5 mins to do more good than numerous other therapists did in 5 years.

Sat 6

Charlestown 10k 1st 33:59 took first 5k handy 17:11 then upped it for 16:48 second half, fairly happy as I wasnt feeling great before this. 3 mile w/up 1 mile c/dn

Sun 6

20.1 miles 2:20:52 first 10 miles very handy 6:45 pace for 2nd 10.

Mon 7

11.4 miles 1:20:19 (7:01p)

Tue 8

Track session
    3.25 mile w/up 23:23

2 x 2miles 10:51 10:46 1 mile 5:18 800m 2:30 400m 69sec 1 mile lactic 6 min(to clear lactic)
    1.75 mi c/dn

so things looiing up again finally after months of feeling crap. Neck/back is almost 100% and Im enjoying running and looing forward to getting out rather than forcing myself to go. Hopefully it continues this way.

Do you set your own training & race schedule or have you a coach who you work with?

Do you set your own training & race schedule or have you a coach who you work with?

I started working with a coach last December to try and crack 2.30 in Rotterdam. I didnt manage it but ran a pb and felt I was in 2:30 shape also ran within 10 seconds of my half pb which was 6 years ago. Since Rotterdam, between one thing and another, I have not followed the programme as diligently as Id like but hopefully will get back on track. Getting help from a coach was a big change for me as up to that I had done all my own schedules but it was definitely worthwhile and I only wish I had gone that route a few years earlier to be honest. If you want any more details or info, pm me.

• Advertisement

Wed 9

6 miles @ 7:03 pace
    30 mins core/strength

Thu 10

6.1 miles @ 6:46 pace inc 1 mile @5:13

Fri 11

6.1 miles @ 7:18 pace

3 easy days ahead of Athlone Flatline Half Marathon tomorrow. I won this race last year in 71:39 but dont feel that time or placing is a realistic target this year considering the disrupted nature of my recent training. Things have picked up for me in the last few days though so Im hoping for a strong ccompetitive run and a bit of motivation for the 6 weeks ahead of Dublin Marathon and beyond.

Sat 12

Athlone Flatline Half Marathon 4th 73:26

Fantastic race with perfect organisation on a genuinely fast course. Big congratulations to all involved.
    As for my own race Im struggling for a word to describe it. Workmanlike might best sum it up. I didnt find the heat overly bad though I suppose it was a factor. I was very comfortable until 7 had a very good mile 9 to 10 then battled home. Overall I got everything I could from the race on the day but almost 3 mins outside my best. Il keep on keeping on and hope for a dramatic upturn in form in the lead up to Dublin.
    3.5 mile w/up 24 mins 2.3 mile funeral march c/dn 18.9 miles for the day and 81 for the week.

sun 14

5 miles 36:16(7:14p)

Mon 15

7 miles 48:57(6:55p)

Tue 16

2.25 mile w/up 17 mins

2 x 3miles AT 16:50 16:46 .4 mi recovery 3 min
    2.5 mile c/dn 17 mins

Wed 17

13.3 miles 1:26:50(6:32p) inc 5k hilly @ 5:42p

Thu 18

8.6 miles 1:00:19(7:00p)

Fri 19

5.9 miles easy 7:33p

Sat 20

am 5k shakeout 22 min

pm
    ballymote 5k 15:48 2nd
    4 mile w/up 1.5 mile c/dn

Sun 21

22.08 miles long run 2:29:21(6:46p) last 3miles 5:44 5:48 5:40
    good strong run felt great. Encouraging weekend.

Mon 22

9 miles 1:02:52:6:58p) felt fresh despite race/longrun back to back.

Tue 23

3.25 mile w/up 22:30 to track

3 miles AT 16:57, 1 lap recovery jog

400 5kp 200 mp x8 = 3miles in 16:32 1 lap recovery jog

2k AT 6:55

1.5 mile c/dn 11 mins

I did this session within myself because the last 3 days were tough and I want to keep momentum on my side and come away from sessions satisfied with the effort I put in. I think the pressure I put on myself to hit targets and times has led to a sort of downward spiral of frustration over the summer so I want to change that mindset and enjoy training and running in general.
    The 400 hard 200 cruise was supposed to be 75/45 but in reality was more 77/46 but Im very happy considering last few days and the fact that I held a little back. The 3 mile and 2k at AT pace was very comfortable.

Wed 24

9 miles 1:02:49 (6:58p) felt fresh and strong.

Thu 25

12.75 miles inc. 4 x 2miles @MP roughly 2 min recovery jog

4 x 2miles 11:50 11:39 11:40 11:28 these were done at a comfortable cruisey pace and it made for a very enjoyable session.

Fri 26

25 miles 2:50:40 (6:49p) pre breakfast
    started very easy and picked up, last 6 miles at a faster pace 6:11 6:09 6:01 5:45 5:45 5:56. Felt very strong and fresh and the faster pace felt manageable. Took a couple of gels in 500ml of water at 20 miles.

Fri 26

25 miles 2:50:40 (6:49p) .

Dont you know theres no need for 20+ mile runs.........jeezzzzz :P

Sat 27

6 miles easy 7:09 pace

Sun 28

Ballyhaunis 8k 27:42 1st 25min w/up 28min c/dn

had a wedding yesterday and between the long day on the beer and the 25 mile run on Friday I wasnt expecting much. I wasnt much looking forward to it either as a bad head/stomach combined with the hilly course was not an appealing prospect. As soon as I started my warmup tho I knew I felt better and decided to run at a comfortable hard pace amazingly I ran 14:12 13:30 splits and my last 3ks were 3:16 average which considering my ill health and fatigue was a very pleasing result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sat 27

6 miles easy 7:09 pace

Sun 28

Ballyhaunis 8k 27:42 1st 25min w/up 28min c/dn

had a wedding yesterday and between the long day on the beer and the 25 mile run on Friday I wasnt expecting much. I wasnt much looking forward to it either as a bad head/stomach combined with the hilly course was not an appealing prospect. As soon as I started my warmup tho I knew I felt better and decided to run at a comfortable hard pace amazingly I ran 14:12 13:30 splits and my last 3ks were 3:16 average which considering my ill health and fatigue was a very pleasing result.

I hate you..... That is all :P

(hell of a run all things considered man)

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I hate you..... That is all :P

(hell of a run all things considered man)

I know how you feel, I hated myself at 9am this morning.

Advertisement