Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon - likely to happen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Given the low water temperatures, < 10c I am told and the weather forecast for the next week. Combine that with the ITU rules (http://www.triathlon.org/images/uploads/itusport_competition_rules_20120215.pdf) likely to be a long duathlon or cancelled?

Anyone hear anything solid?

Wasn't there a problem like this last year, i do remember a few saying that they couldn't feel their face in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wasn't there a problem like this last year, i do remember a few saying that they couldn't feel their face in the water.

<13 degrees Celsius and no race. I gather last year they made it by 0.5 degree.

This year is colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

<13 degrees Celsius and no race. I gather last year they made it by 0.5 degree.

This year is colder.

Agreed it is colder, i'd say it will be a duathlon if that happens. No doubt they'll leave the decision as late as possible. Could they delay the start time to allow the water to heat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

they already are - 12 bells

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's a week later this year and it's a later start time but so, so much colder this year. Not sure I'm bothered with the HIM as it is definitely couldn't be assed if its a duathlon.

Any idea what sort of distances it might if it is a duathlon? Not really much point of putting on a swim if its 750...

It's a week later this year and it's a later start time but so, so much colder this year. Not sure I'm bothered with the HIM as it is definitely couldn't be assed if its a duathlon.

Any idea what sort of distances it might if it is a duathlon? Not really much point of putting on a swim if its 750...

13.9-13.0 is 750m swim

<13.0 no getting in the water

Ah OK, thought they allowed lower temps for shorter swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Speaking of possible cancellations I see Triathlone have confirmed they are going to cancel their Olympic race this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    Speaking of possible cancellations I see Triathlone have confirmed they are going to cancel their Olympic race this year

Ah here! Pulling a thread O/T!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It'll be interesting re Tri an Mhi, supposed to be national championships, gonna be pretty disappointed it it goes to a duathlon, though it will suit me better as I've no swimming done in the last 8 weeks (worth talking about).

What would be the format? 5k run, bike , run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I was down at Tri an Mhi on Saturday and even had a dip in the lake.
    Expected it to be colder for some reason but granted it wasn't warm.
    Seapoint was colder yesterday actually but anyway.

By chance I bumped into the race director.

Official line is as follows:

"No call will be made until race day.
    We are very hopeful of a swim going ahead and have a lot of safety precautions etc in place.
    We also have a few contingency plans and these will be on the website with the race briefing once uploaded around the week before the race. "

So that was that.

There's no doubt the water is cold at this time of year, and perhaps with hindsight TI may have set the National Champs to be later in the season to ensure the full format goes ahead.

However I'm firmly of the opinion the swim should go ahead and having jumped in feel it will do.
    Perhaps a compromise of 2 x shortened loops to keep swim closer to shore and away from the probable colder temps as the lake deepens.

I was only in the shallow area and it was v cold, but manageable in my view.
    A sunny day like Saturday was and it should be grand so fingers crossed.

As a national middle distance champs, it would be a crying shame if this was turned into a Duathlon.
    I'm not the fastest swimmer by any means, but I signed up for this triathlon and really hope the swim proceeds.

Fazz wrote: »
    I was down at Tri an Mhi on Saturday and even had a dip in the lake.
    Expected it to be colder for some reason but granted it wasn't warm.
    Seapoint was colder yesterday actually but anyway.

By chance I bumped into the race director.

Official line is as follows:

"No call will be made until race day.
    We are very hopeful of a swim going ahead and have a lot of safety precautions etc in place.
    We also have a few contingency plans and these will be on the website with the race briefing once uploaded around the week before the race. "

So that was that.

There's no doubt the water is cold at this time of year, and perhaps with hindsight TI may have set the National Champs to be later in the season to ensure the full format goes ahead.

However I'm firmly of the opinion the swim should go ahead and having jumped in feel it will do.
    Perhaps a compromise of 2 x shortened loops to keep swim closer to shore and away from the probable colder temps as the lake deepens.

I was only in the shallow area and it was v cold, but manageable in my view.
    A sunny day like Saturday was and it should be grand so fingers crossed.

As a national middle distance champs, it would be a crying shame if this was turned into a Duathlon.
    I'm not the fastest swimmer by any means, but I signed up for this triathlon and really hope the swim proceeds.

Good to have some actual information!

All good points but if someone gets hurt/sick/killed and the ITU water temp rules were ignored............

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Water was 11 degs last year and it went ahead with 2 small laps. It was swimmable but if I hadn't been in twice a week before then I would have bailed on the day.

Sun was out that morning, made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

mrbungle wrote: »
    Water was 11 degs last year and it went ahead with 2 small laps. It was swimmable but if I hadn't been in twice a week before then I would have bailed on the day.

Sun was out that morning, made no difference.

Sun might have been in the sky but there was frost on the ground that morning.

I was close to bailing too. When we were called in everyone stood looking at each other till a few of the braver soles made the move and a few of us followed. First few metres I was wondering what on earth I was doing and just promised myself that I would try and make it to the first buoy. It was bitterly cold but I warmed up by the first buoy and completed the swim ok. I'm probably lucky in that I have a fair bit of natural insulation so wasn't too cold in T1 but I heard stories of people sitting for 20mins to try and warm-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Also done this race last year,
    and it was very cold, infact i would have said that it should have not went ahead, water temp of approx 11/11,5 and air temp was under 10 at the start time, under ITU rules this should have been cancelled,
    That said i did enjoy the race when i warmed up after about 20k on the bike.

Can see the swim not going ahead this year,
    pressure to go ahead will out way any to cancel, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

It'll be interesting re Tri an Mhi, supposed to be national championships, gonna be pretty disappointed it it goes to a duathlon, though it will suit me better as I've no swimming done in the last 8 weeks (worth talking about).

What would be the format? 5k run, bike , run?

I'd like to know this too - if it were to become a duathlon how long would the first run be likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I'd like to know this too - if it were to become a duathlon how long would the first run be likely to be?

Not to draw any parallels with Eireman from a few years ago but when that swim was cancelled it was replaced with an approx 5km run.

It should be at least 10k, at least make it worth doing.

20k - 93k - 20k would be worth getting out of bed for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Taken from the Tri on Mhi Facebook page

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE CXIII MIDDLE DISTANCE TRIATHLON:

Dear all.

We have become aware of some false rumours and negative comment regarding the above race. For the avoidance of any doubt the Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon will take place on May 18th. It is not cancelled and is not being postponed. We are anticipating, and planning for, a full Middle Distance Triathlon. However as with all triathlons that take place in this country, a decision will be made on race morning following an inspection of every part of the course. Over recent months Club members have been regularly inspecting the route. Some were in for a swim this past weekend, with more heading down this weekend to get in the lake following a lap of the cycle route, or run route, or both. Tri An Mhi are looking forward to hosting another successful event and look forward to welcoming all participants lakeside on the 18th May.

Yours in sport,

Tri An Mhi"

• Advertisement

tinydave wrote: »
    Taken from the Tri on Mhi Facebook page

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE CXIII MIDDLE DISTANCE TRIATHLON:

Dear all.

We have become aware of some false rumours and negative comment regarding the above race. For the avoidance of any doubt the Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon will take place on May 18th."

Rumours only prosper in the absence of information.

Given recent conditions and absence of updates was a thread like this REALLY that unexpected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Good to have some actual information!

All good points but if someone gets hurt/sick/killed and the ITU (replace Itu with Irish traffic rules) water temp rules ( speed limits or drunk driving) were ignored............

In my mind better to talk about precautions to keep the risk (which their is being alive) as low as possible. We dont stop using cars either and their casuse by far more accidents than in tri.

Precautions
    -make it a beach start (or only knee deep start whatever is practicable) so their is no waiting in the water to get cold ( this is where people get most cold if they are in the water and wait for the start that often never seems to happen.)
    so be really precise ie if its announced that swim start is in 5 min and 5 min it is not 6min or whatever than athletes can plan.

-Make people aware to keep core temperatures high before the race start ie warm jackets and warm trousers over wetsuit, if air temperature is low. do dryland swim warm up.

-Allow people to wear neopren booties and gloves

-Some hot water being handed out before race start can help.

- Have everybody confirm that they can swim sub 45 min to start not finished after 45 min pulled out of the water if needs shorten swim to 1500m . (its an Irish champ and not a tri a tri you swim faster you produce more heat)

(in pink ) somebody could pee in the lake -shortly before - where they will meassure the water temperature ;-) water temperature would be officially safe. .

Has anyone seen the start list for this? Their site says it was going up on April 24th but can't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

The question now is how much values such a list that is not fully updated since their is quite a few spaces that were given to sponsors and other people not on this list ....I can see at least 4, more likely 5-6 podium contenders that are racing and are not in the list . SO better to wait and get a final start list ( race organicesrs have better things to do right now than to worry about a start list)

Spoke to one of the friendly race organicers today and they doing a great job keeping a calm head despite all those people wanting answers about a swim when answers cant be given before race day ...
    Fact is water temp rose 2 -2,5 degrees last week and they have an admirable number of kayaks and boats organized. And they will do everything to make the swim happen.

peter kern wrote: »
    The question now is how much values such a list that is not fully updated since their is quite a few spaces that were given to sponsors and other people not on this list ....I can see at least 4, more likely 5-6 podium contenders that are racing and are not in the list . SO better to wait and get a final start list ( race organicesrs have better things to do right now than to worry about a start list)

I'm looking more at how many people will finish behind me at this stage anyway(I'd like at least one) With Marie Boland in my age group I won't ever even have an AG chance unless she takes early retirement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I'm looking more at how many people will finish behind me at this stage anyway(I'd like at least one) With Marie Boland in my age group I won't ever even have an AG chance unless she takes early retirement :D

You could make it worth my while...;)

I'm just kidding, I was actually considering pulling out - I've not really had time to put in the longer training hours for middle distance racing with big exams coming up. I'm doing Alpe d'Huez in July though, so going to do it for training anyway. How are you fixed for it?

You could make it worth my while...;)

I'm just kidding, I was actually considering pulling out - I've not really had time to put in the longer training hours for middle distance racing with big exams coming up. I'm doing Alpe d'Huez in July though, so going to do it for training anyway. How are you fixed for it?

I'm screwed. No spins longer than 60k since November would suggest I shouldn't be trying to run off a 93K bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

Nerves have officially taken hold...

Advertisement