Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon - likely to happen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    I know that Valentia had their swim cancelled. However, the swim in the Quiet Man went ahead so here's hoping that the conditions allow this swim to go ahead too. The Quiet Man swim was in fresh water too.
    Summer my arse. I couldn't open the helmet when I finished my spin #cycling

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I nearly choked on my water when I read that!!!! :D

Must clean up the spray of water from my desk now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Water temps from Tri An Mhi people...

Sunday 4th May - 08:00hrs - 10C
    Friday 10th May - 17.00hrs - 11.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Anyone want a lift from Galway direction down and back on Saturday? I've seats for 2 passengers and tons of room for gear & changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

was swimming in Killiney last night and it was grand (cold, but grand). would the water in the lake be colder yeah ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

So the forecast for the weekend has changed with the winds due to pick up Saturday morning and remain pretty strong from the north for the duration of the race (and indeed get stronger for those of us that may take a bit longer out on course).

What kind of wind speed would you take off a deep (ca. 80mm) rimmed front wheel and race with a regular wheel instead?

jesus this is gonna be hell

a_snowman_on_top_of_a_bicycle_at_rackles_hill_phot_1593243593.jpg

matty+reed+riding+in+a+wetsuit.jpg

Reckon I'll be staying like this.

Imagine this:
    Swim gets cancelled cause of the weather
    Bike gets cancelled cause of the guards.

One long run eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did this race in its first year and I saw more rain on the bike and first half of the run than I've ever seen in any race and this was after a cold swim. At one stage on the bike the water was flowing in torrents sideays across the road. I wore full cycling gear, but did see some very pink people in trisuits. The joys of a spring HIM

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Imagine this:
    Swim gets cancelled cause of the weather
    Bike gets cancelled cause of the guards.

One long run eh?

How many will be up for a 70.3 mile run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

What are people thinking of wearing on the bike?

PGF wrote: »

I'll have the tri suit on then i think i'll throw on the joey hannon zip up cycling jersey.

miller82 wrote: »
    I'll have the tri suit on then i think i'll throw on the joey hannon zip up cycling jersey.

Sleeves and a gilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I ran yesterday evening in long sleeves, hard to believe this is May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

PGF wrote: »

In the past I've gotten a full long sleeve jersey on without *too* much trouble if its cold but not lashing rain, and I was glad I did. Gloves took an age and I eventually gave up, only to stop a few miles down the road to get them on.

If you're using arm warmers, roll them up like donoughts so you can roll them on in T1 (a tip i found on here years ago to be great).

kingQuez wrote: »
    If you're using arm warmers, roll them up like donoughts so you can roll them on in T1 (a tip i found on here years ago to be great).

would they not be grand under the wetsuit ?

They'd be wet, very very wet.

They'd just get soggy and then your arms would be even colder. If there is no swim, just wear them from the start.

If there is no swim, just wear them from the start.

ssshh, la la la , i'm not listening !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the cleanliness of the lake like? Will I die from infection in two weeks if I swim with open wounds?

Whats the cleanliness of the lake like? Will I die from infection in two weeks if I swim with open wounds?

100% yes

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

It's has the only inland blue flag beach in the country and the water is described as 'gin clear'. I reckon if there's anywhere you should swim, it's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The lake is very nice, crystal clear water and a sandy beach area which is the race start afaik. I have swam in it a lot over the years and no issues, they also have a shower if you fancy it on your way out :)

Good news for those wanting the swim. I'm led to believe that regardless some sort of swim will be happening.

enzeder wrote: »
    It's has the only inland blue flag beach in the country and the water is described as 'gin clear'. I reckon if there's anywhere you should swim, it's here.

Loughrea is a Blue Flag too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Lepto is always a risk when swimming in static water bodies with open wounds / cuts / abrasions. A low risk I would have thought though.

100% yes

:P
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Lepto is always a risk when swimming in static water bodies with open wounds / cuts / abrasions. A low risk I would have thought though.

Don't be giving RQ any excuses to bale out!

On the bright side, if it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger (after being sick for ages)

Don't be giving RQ any excuses to bale out!

On the bright side, if it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger (after being sick for ages)

I currently have no way to get there unless I cycle out. That's my excuse now :D

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »

Yeah well thats my worry. The blue flag status made me think it wouldn't be as high a risk as say swimming in the Liffey. It's the facial wound I'm worried about as it's not possible to cover it.

Don't really fancy being sick for two weeks.

Advertisement