Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon - likely to happen?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do we have a result?

Should be nearly all over now. Fazz was still leading the run about 10 minutes ago.

Mark Horan 2nd, Fazz 3rd

Dunno who won...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

1st Niall somers
    2nd Mark Horan
    3rd Ian Farrell

According to B2R on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

subscriber wrote: »
    1st Niall somers
    2nd Mark Horan
    3rd Ian Farrell

According to B2R on Facebook.

Must have been a cracking run from Niall.

Well done Fazz great race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Ah pity, knowing Ian I know he will be disappointed but wow, a NC podium! Well done!

Somers is a savage runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Ah pity, knowing Ian I know he will be disappointed but wow, a NC podium! Well done!

Somers is a savage runner.

Somers is also a savage cyclist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Tough racing today.
    Results online http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=74&RId=10153

Enjoyed it and played my card as best I could.

Timing chip pulled off on swim so my splits are wrong online - have them myself anyway.
    I did give to timing guy but not updated yet.

Very interesting race, lot of battles.

Had a fighting swim (13:19 for 800m), messy start and lost a bit but got into rhythm then.
    water felt fine to be honest and warmer than ive swam in recently thankfully.
    Did a flying mount and as I did my shoe hit ground and flew off!luckily I didnt fall so stopped and put on and on to bike then.

Think I started bike around 20th odd.

controlled first lap of bike few battles with LCD before getting up to 2nd near end of lap 1, and putting hammer down when some 2mins behind Mariusz way out in front.
    Managed to pass him past 60km as he bonked a bit and I played my card to try get a gap.
    First off the bike in 2:27:14 with near 2mins lead.

Stuck to my pace on run and got closed and passed by Mark Horan at 9km and then Niall Somers around 15km. Both stayed in sight for a few km but Niall was very strong and won well with a great run off 2nd fastest bike. Fully deserved it with those splits.
    My run was 1:28:57 for 21.35km and a hard rolling course those hills at end were murder!

I knew there was no point coming off bike without a gap as my run strength is behind the top guys for now.
    Happy with progress made today.
    Next up Kilkee in 6 weeks.
    Now to try find some speed!

a very well marshalled race I must say.

Only a couple negatives which I'll reserve for my race report tomorrow or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Can I ask what happened Liam Dolan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Jesus that cycle was horrible.......really horrible. They could have made the swim a lot longer IMO, it wasnt that bad. Played in to the hands of the strong cyclists.

Great race though, really well organised, loads of food (including a tray of Jaffa cakes I got on the run :) ) , loads of protein after and loads of helpful marshals and stewards . Massage after was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Arranmoreelw

The water was grand as was the slick organizing skills of Tri Mhi
    A tough day at the race's but thats Ireland so grin and bear it can't get any worse
    Bike course was ace and the run was interesting with a few lumps thrown in for sport
    I though the hanging up off the wetsuits by the marshals was a Lovely touch
    Thank you Tri Mhi for that',at least they got washed while we were slogging around the course

• Advertisement

Also, i do not understand why so many people that do triathlon clearly hate the swim. the amount of people that were delighted with the swim being shortened was odd and it wasnt just down to the cold, i've noticed it before.
    Surely it makes more sense for these people to focus on duathlons ?? it makes no difference to me, but i just don't understand why they bother. drop the swim from your training and focus on bike and run and enjoy your races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

miller82 wrote: »
    Also, i do not understand why so many people that do triathlon clearly hate the swim. the amount of people that were delighted with the swim being shortened was odd and it wasnt just down to the cold, i've noticed it before.
    Surely it makes more sense for these people to focus on duathlons ?? it makes no difference to me, but i just don't understand why they bother. drop the swim from your training and focus on bike and run and enjoy your races

It's disappointing that the swim was shortened yet again. I've entered 4 middle distance races and am yet to get a full swim...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What duathlons? They are only a winter event here from Jan-March and maybe an odd one in October. It is a pity really.

i thought there was more during the summer

ah fair enough then. it just seemed a bit mad to me

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

A great race and a great day. Shortened swim was fine, if a bit crowded and trashy for the first few hundred metres. Bike course was hard and the strongest out there definitely shined on the rolling terrain of the midlands. I don't think there were any flat parts - all either up or down. Run was the same. Undulating from the get-go and the legs felt like they were going to seize going up some of the bumps. The heavy rain stayed away for the most part and we were treated to a nice, cooling drizzle for the second half of the bike and a good portion of the run.

A big thanks to the organisers for an extremely well run race. The marshaling was superb. Every junction on the bike course well manned and lots of marshals at all of the drink stations on the run. Thank you to Tri and Mhi for a fantastic event.

On a personal level, it was my first middle distance race and certainly the toughest race I've ever done. Ended up finishing in the top ten and podiuming in my age group so I was delighted with that. Would gladly do it again.

Congratulations to everyone else who made it around on Saturday.

I noticed that in Athlone last year as well, was gutted when the swim was shortened. I love swimming but don't get enough OW practice in so dreaded the swims last year...would have been very disappointed to turn up to a shortened swim on Saturday.

Well done to everyone who slogged through this. The short swim and horrendous weather softened the blow of missing this for me. Still on my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Triathlon Ireland

We put together a short video from the race.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6a3iLq7UU

Hope you like it!... and well done to all the finishers, really tough race.

great video lads

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

Great race. Shame about the weather and shortened swim. Water was fine. My first race at this distance and time exceeded my expectations.

Really, really well marshalled. Everything covered, even down to a guy to direct me on to grass margin to park the car at the start. Top marks goes to the kind lady marshal who helped me open my helmet in the transition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Was here to say how well the race was organised at the weekend,
    Pure class !!!
    How Ti was Supposed to know last year that this would be the coldest winter in 60 or so years is beyond me. I think the race was moved back wards by 1-2 weeks and it was very reasonable to think that weather would be ok. In deed if the race had been 1 day earlier or 1 day later all would have been good. I cant think about the day where we have a good weather guarantee in Ireland ( apart for the duathlons held in the phoenix park) and statistically May is I believe the sunniest month in Ireland.
    It was a race venue and organisation that surpassed the quality of last years middle distance nat champs by miles, so I think that's great improvement. and the race location was well accessible from all parts of Ireland which I think is another bonus for Nat champs. Its another issue TI clearly seems to have taken into consideration this year.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Mod note I've deleted/edited a load of posts. They're not only off topic, but also not for discussion on this forum.

Advertisement