Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you park in gear or neutral?

• 29-04-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Do you park in gear or neutral?

Does parking in gear put any strain on the engine/gearbox?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Neutral unless there's a chance of the bike rolling forward or being bumped forward off the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

What he said ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In gear all the time....no ifs, buts, or maybe's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've never given it any thought but I park the bike in neutral and the car in gear lol.

I doubt it makes a difference really.

The only time it will make a difference is if you are unlucky enough to get shunted by a car if you not around....could be the difference in a large repair bill and no repair bill, depending on the bike you have (faired etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

If I'm on level ground, in neutral. If I'm on an incline/slope of any kind, she goes into gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Neutral. If theres a chance of it rolling, park elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Nearly always in neutral except when outside work as it is a private street and the surface can be a little slippy at times.

So the general feeling I am getting is that people park their bikes (and gear it) purely on the merits of the surface they have stopped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

If there is no chance of moving my bike, I'll park with neutral.
    If my bike may move for slope, I usually park it with a gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Always in gear
    Can I ask why people don't

Tigger wrote: »
    Always in gear
    Can I ask why people don't

At a guess I'd say I got into the habit because we'd to park on the center stand in the sheds in work, its harder to roll the bike onto and off the center stand if its stopped in gear.

Other than that I've no idea and in over 25 years riding motorbikes I have never had one roll because it was parked in neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

At a guess I'd say I got into the habit because we'd to park on the center stand in the sheds in work, its harder to roll the bike onto and off the center stand if its stopped in gear.

Other than that I've no idea and in over 25 years riding motorbikes I have never had one roll because it was parked in neutral.

Makes sense but is there any reason not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Tigger wrote: »
    Makes sense but is there any reason not to

Funny that, I seen this thread tiday and had been thinking the opposite since.

Why would you?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm neutral man too.
    Never parked it in gear in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I park in neutral because I usually start the bike and let it warm up while I'm putting on my helmet, removing locks, etc. It can be a bit fiddly trying to find neutral when I'm not sitting on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Always in gear. Once had a bike roll forward off the sidestand when I left it idling to lock the shed, nearly cried when I heard the crunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Always in gear! Once it is parked and stopped I know it will not roll.

Don't park facing down a hill and it won't roll ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

sean61 wrote: »
    I park in neutral because I usually start the bike and let it warm up while I'm putting on my helmet, removing locks, etc. It can be a bit fiddly trying to find neutral when I'm not sitting on the bike.

same as this :)

• Advertisement

Dont ride a bike at all and you wont have the hassle of either 1st or neutral. :pac::pac:

Cienciano wrote: »

Thats the part I don't get, its not that hard to park on level ground or ground where the weight distribution is going to be at the back of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Cienciano wrote: »

It is more so anyone passing by won't "accidentally" push it rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Since posting in this thread, I have started parking in gear all the time now when I am out and about. The power of suggestion, eh? Haha

Soundman wrote: »
    Since posting in this thread, I have started parking in gear all the time now when I am out and about. The power of suggestion, eh? Haha

We all wear women's pants too:cool:

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    It is more so anyone passing by won't "accidentally" push it rolling.

That happens?.

That happens?.

Hell yeah, out on a spin once and some parents wanted to put their not so little lad on a bike. When taking him off the bike was pushed forward coz they were a pair of numpties....Did not hit the deck put was mighty close.

And as for jealous fooks pushing bikes over it happens more then you think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

its being in gear aint gonna stop someone malicious pushing it over though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

speaking of numpties - have to fess up to being a major one once...
    Parked me bike with steering lock on - was in a rush to make a lodgement at a bank, jumped on bike - forgot steering lock was on (bike was pointing in direction I needed to turn), started, kicked 1st gear, open her up and went flying on my ear. Bike over on its side with throttle wide open, engine screaming and with an audience of probably hundreds (was in busy street) had pick myself up, kill engine etc... you get the picture :o

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    speaking of numpties - have to fess up to being a major one once...
    Parked me bike with steering lock on - was in a rush to make a lodgement at a bank, jumped on bike - forgot steering lock was on (bike was pointing in direction I needed to turn), started, kicked 1st gear, open her up and went flying on my ear. Bike over on its side with throttle wide open, engine screaming and with an audience of probably hundreds (was in busy street) had pick myself up, kill engine etc... you get the picture :o

I done that once, in Howth and in front of a load of biker mates :mad:

Advertisement