Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig Mills Open Water Swim

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Just Wondering has any one ever try and swim in the Water in the Mills out in Ballincollig ?

Looking to get started on my Open Water Swimming be my first time in open water want to get use to it before my Tri Race

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you mean the river, realise that it is just downstream from the dam and water levels and flow rates can vary drammatically.

If you mean the lakes, realise they are disused quarries and are exceptionally deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I was thinking of the River, just above the small Water fall down at the end.. its all down Stream but. I hear its a good Swim upstream as well

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The water levels don't change that dramatically or that quickly. You have time to get onto the bank. I fish the river and I often fish at night and never had trouble. You will feel the pressure coming on if they are releasing and it takes about 5mins for a full flow to hit you and besides just call the ESB at the dam and they will tell you what they are generating and if they will be releasing soon.
    I have often snorkled above the dam so you should consider swimming there. Swimmers in rivers with salmon anglers isnt a good mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I used to swim in the part of the river about 22-24 years ago, the bit i the Regional Park just behind the weir. It was fine back then but nature may have changed things since then! :o

Advertisement