Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low - Whelan's - August 20th

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

Low play Whelan's on August 20th with gigs in Cork and Belfast either side of it. Seems to be up on Ticketmaster now. Sweet!

EDIT: Tickets are also up on tickets.ie if you want to save yourself booking fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

How does it work with tickets.ie? How do you know if they will be on there too? Is it down to the venue or promoter that's involved, I notice they don't have tickets for a lot of gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

How does it work with tickets.ie? How do you know if they will be on there too? Is it down to the venue or promoter that's involved, I notice they don't have tickets for a lot of gigs?

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of the time it's down to the promoter. In this case the promoter is Harmonic and they've allocated some tickets to Tickets.ie and some to Ticketmaster. But with the bigger promoters a lot of the time they only sell through Ticketmaster.

So basically it's always worth a look on Tickets.ie if the gig is relatively small or you know the promoter deals with them regularly. Unfortunately I don't know of any more scientific way of telling if they'll have tickets for a particular show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

only a few days away now, very few tickets left for their Dublin gig

only a few days away now, very few tickets left for their Dublin gig
    Pretty sure Low said it was all sold out on their FB page actually!

Anyways super excited for this, wonder if they'll pull any experimental stuff or play it safe?

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Pretty sure Low said it was all sold out on their FB page actually!

Anyways super excited for this, wonder if they'll pull any experimental stuff or play it safe?

They did say it was sold out, but tickets are still on sale on tickets.ie and on ticketmaster.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Cannot wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

They were fantastic in the Button Factory. Hate having to miss out on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Missed out last year, going to Cork tonight! Not gone on the latest album, but still looking forward to the gig..

seachto7 wrote: »
    Missed out last year, going to Cork tonight! Not gone on the latest album, but still looking forward to the gig..

Let us know how it goes yeah?

Also, I've been to Whelans before but never for a gig - what's the main stage like?

• Advertisement

Let us know how it goes yeah?

Also, I've been to Whelans before but never for a gig - what's the main stage like?

Small and intimate, hopefully there won't be any talkers there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Small and intimate, hopefully there won't be any talkers there tonight.

There's talkers at every gig, in any venue, people don't know when to shut up talking.

I found it especially evident during the Sly and Robbie gig with Ernest Ranglin on guitar and Robbie Lyn on Keyboards last December, which was a more laid back sounding gig, a great gig, in Whelans, which Choice Cuts did great work to reschedule, from the gig that had to be postponed from July,

It was great to get the chance to see Ernest Ranglin, and Sinead O'Connor later sang a few songs with them!

and a whole bunch of people obviously ignorant to the importance of Ernest Ranglin to Ska music, couldn't keep their mouths shut throughout the whole show:mad:

Good gig in Cork last night. Good set list. Notable absentees were "California" , "Over the Ocean" and "Try to Sleep", but still a very good set list. I was happy. Fair few songs off the latest album as well.

They did a cover of a Rihanna song too. Ended with Dinosaur Act.

No talkers either during the songs which was great, people were really into it. I reckon Whelans will be a bigger crowd than Cyprus Avenue.

Murderer was my fave.

How long they play for? Can't wait to hear Murderer, easily one of their best.
    Any merch at all?

Yeah, I picked up a tshirt, and there were CDs and vinyl on sale too. Band hung around to sign stuff as well, but I had to go.
    To be honest, I didn't even check what time they started at. But I checked and they started to play their last song just after midnight.
    Katie Kim, support, wasn't bad either.

I have to be in Dublin tomorrow. Kind of sorry I didn't get a ticket for Whelans as well.

Well that was effin' fantastic! Amazing set from start to finish. I love how humble Alan was. Highlights were Clarence White and Dragonflies for me.
    Also it seems like they went with a different setlist for Dublin as they played California and ended with Broadway

Katie Kim was a nice surprise too, will definitely be on the lookout for her from now on.

Did they do a second encore? I left at 11 after the "first" encore as I was melting, was like a sauna in there. Thought they were great, loved the new songs especially "plastic cup" and "just make it stop" only got there in time for katie kim's last song but it was brilliant will definitely check out any headlining shows she's doing.

Did they do a second encore? I left at 11 after the "first" encore as I was melting, was like a sauna in there. Thought they were great, loved the new songs especially "plastic cup" and "just make it stop" only got there in time for katie kim's last song but it was brilliant will definitely check out any headlining shows she's doing.

they played two songs in the encore and ended at 1 minute past 11.

They played from 9.32pm till 11.01pm

Did they do the Rihanna song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWl46YI3wk

I guess a good pop song is a good pop song when you see it with all the gloss and production taken away....

So that's what it was! Yeah they played that, was great.

• Advertisement

they played Stay, I think it was the second last song they played, it wasn't listed on the handwritten setlist

Didn't know the song at first, but knew there were too many lyrics per line, and it was too happy sounding to be one of their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

was like a sauna in there. QUOTE]

Only lasted about half an hour up on the raised bit at the side before having to go stand at the back by the bar, couldn't belive how hot it was in there. Left before the encore to get home in time to relieve the baby sitter. I must be getting old :(

While I enjoyed the gig, I didnt think they were quite as mesmeric as when I've seen them before in the Village and Temple Bar Music Cenmtre a few years back

While I enjoyed the gig, I didnt think they were quite as mesmeric as when I've seen them before in the Village and Temple Bar Music Cenmtre a few years back

Well in all fairness their new stuff is a bit changed since their earlier even simpler and bleaker material.
    How often do they visit Ireland anyways? Didn't Alan thank Whelans for having him back too?

Also kinda bummed they didn't play Murderer, but still a quality setlist all the same.

Well in all fairness their new stuff is a bit changed since their earlier even simpler and bleaker material.
    How often do they visit Ireland anyways? Didn't Alan thank Whelans for having him back too?

Also kinda bummed they didn't play Murderer, but still a quality setlist all the same.
    They play here at least once every two years. It must be at least 10 years since they last played whelans. They played Christchurch a few years ago, a gig that would have been pretty special

They also played last year. So many other good ones that they left off the setlist but you cant win em all. They need to do a Bruce on it. 3.5 hrs...

Advertisement