Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra-Vision enter receivership: Games options are getting limited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Falthyron wrote: »
    Then obviously you worked in one of the larger stores. In my store, which was very small, we had Archos MP3 players, Apple iPod Touch, Shuffles, and DvD players sitting on the shelf for months... If it wasn't Xmas, they were not moving.

So, Xtravision buys a Touch for 150 euro, and puts it up for sale for 229. It stays there for a year, possibly more, and it is suddenly worth 100-120 because Apple released a new version of their MP3 player. Now, there are over 100 stores in Ireland, most of which are not big stores that sell TVs/BluRay players on a regular basis. If you are not selling stock, the amount of dead weight stock sitting in your stores start losing value very fast.

I used to work 11am to 6pm during the summer on week days and I remember the till receiving about 60-80 euro, at most, some days. You know where that money came from? Phone credit.

Xtravision collapsing again is not a surprise to me. Big stores like Blanch, Navan, etc might being doing well. But most of Xtravision's stores are in small towns like Trim/Navan/Clane. One store's apaprent success does not suggest the entire company is doing well with a product strategy that works in only a few, select stores.

Jesus, you must have been in a tiny store.

I was in an average suburban store in Dublin but I hardly think we can judge the successes based on a tiny country store either.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Also: Pre-recession :P

I take that point alright but honestly, how do you think things would have been better if they hadn't diversified? If they tried to survive on retnal revenue alone they'd be gone 10 years ago imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, you must have been in a tiny store.

I was in an average suburban store in Dublin but I hardly think we can judge the successes based on a tiny country store either.

I take that point alright but honestly, how do you think things would have been better if they hadn't diversified? If they tried to survive on retnal revenue alone they'd be gone 10 years ago imo.

Yeah, I was in a small store alright. Same size as Dunshauglin/Ardee as mentioned above. It was a Class C store, if I remember correctly.

You might be right with the diversifying, I guess we will never know. But, I was always of the thinking that you can either be great at one thing, or average at lots of things. Maybe if Xtravision had stayed great at one key aspect to their business and not gone mental trying to buy and sell everything, they might not be where they are today. Who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's been a long time coming for Xtravision. I liked the pre-viewed/played bargains they had, and they did have some great bargains over the years. There was talk of them going digital about 2 years ago but they never did, shame really as i doubt anything could actually save them at this stage.

Bought my first xbox in Xtravision. Got a band of brothers box set about a year after it televised for a tenner too, stuff like that i'll miss, but physical rentals for games and film are almost a thing of the past sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

quad_red wrote: »
    I, for one, believe that we need to stop this high speed broadband and the illegality it brings.

sign up with '3' you wont have to worry about high speeds thats for sure :mad:

Sorry for the xtravision staff. Tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Horrible company to work for. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Little Pea wrote: »
    Horrible company to work for. Good riddance.

Keep that TPT up! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Personally I buy most of my games online. However, I do miss the experience of wandering into a GAME/HMV/Xtra Vision and just buying something I didnt really want on a whim. I rarely do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carraig Rua

In fairness this was inevitable, irregardless of the condition of the economy. Sooner or later the idea of transferring digital media on discs is going to seem absurd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Odd that number eh? From what has ultimately killed their business. Nerd in me couldn't help but notice.

Don't get what's so odd about it. That'll be due to their long open hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no point buying games in shops anymore, the prices are just insane. I get everything online ow but I expect Gamestop to take the piss even more.
    Was it you that seen Deadly Preminition(what an ironic name) for €50 even though it was meant to be a budget title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Argos are the only place left that have good prices on (some) games, smyths the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ShaneU wrote: »
    Argos are the only place left that have good prices on (some) games, smyths the odd time.

Yeah. I regularly pop into my local GameStop and there are never any deals going. Why just today I was in the Blanchardstown Branch and I saw NeverDead for €49 euro :rolleyes: It's nearly a year and a half old. Actually I'll check how much it is online ....

**edit**
    €10.05 on play.com - brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

My local Xtravision was a godsend in the days before I FINALLY got broadband. If it wasnt for them I'd have had to go over 20 miles to rent a dvd or game! They always had plenty of stock, no waiting for new releases, Christ it was like a bit of American coming to my little rural backwater. Before that you'd have to go into the family run place and put your name down to rent something, you might get it in a fortnight if you were lucky! :D

Got my PS3 in there around release. Have picked up many a bargain over the years on the pre-owned shelfs. Thats something I'd really miss if places like Xtravision go under. The ability to just stroll in on a Sunday, find a game that you'd been meaning to get for ages but couldnt justify the price and pick it up on the cheap. An impulse buy that you could be home playing a half hour after you'd bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only game I ever bought in Xtravision was Silent Hill.

Advance Vision was where it was at! :)

Until it closed down of course :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I just spent 50 quid in there. Damn their cheap buy two get a third free sale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Da brother works in there and I have a few of my mates working also, hope they can turn this one around. A new business model is needed though. Film rentals just don't pull the business in these days. Torrents is killing the rental market, esp. movies rentals.

I found Xtravision quite good value at times, there 3 for 2 on blu rays and games was always great value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTR63 wrote: »
    Was it you that seen Deadly Preminition(what an ironic name) for €50 even though it was meant to be a budget title.

Yup, even when I think I'll spend a little more to support the small guys and have the game a little early they give me a reason not to give them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Don't get what's so odd about it.

1,024 is 2 to the power of 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

1,024 is 2 to the power of 10

Im guessing hes hinting at 1024 mb in a gigabyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭megaten

Haven't bought anything off them in ages but still sad to see them go. Not many shops selling games left. I was looking for a copy of fire emblem late last week in dublin and realised with GAME and HMV gone Smyths and GameStop are the only major ones left really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

ah man :(
    gamestop is all thats left now besides a random cd shop that might stock 2 year old games still for full price.
    i would not give 1 cent of my money to smyths, worked there and they run a shady shady business,one example was a full shipment of 360s left in the rain for a day while the dora the ****ing explorer stuff was deemed more important to get it, they then put them 360s for sale, everyone was returned and they were trying to blame the costumer, "how would console ever get water damage,this is not our fault,you will have to contact MS".....scum

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I only buy the odds game here and there. The last being the latest Call of Duty. Only reason I bought it in Xtra-Vision, was because it would have taken 3 odd days to arrive in the post. I have to admit, I'm surprised it's taken this long. They never seemed to be doing well for the past few year. Lately, my local shop has more a less done away with any games at all. At one point, it was full to the brim with both new and pre-owned games. Now, it's a small stand in the corner, with the rest ****ty old DVD's, and a section for Blue-ray.
    Times have changed since Xtra-Visions has opened. They have been too slow to cop that, and are now paying the price. I'm sure they could have done something years ago to insure some safety into the future.
    I seen a info-graphic a few days ago on Reddit referring to how companies have been, or were slow to adopt modern methods of distribution. Focusing mainly on the US market of rents, it more a less said with online services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) all companies were gone. Does that made the last ditch attempted at online, failed. Which is what I imagine will happen with Xtra-Vision now. Some sort of online service will be offered, but it will be years behind other, cheaper alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Smyths toys sell games usually at ok prices, plus ive got a loyalty card with 10% off new games:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tinie wrote: »
    Im guessing hes hinting at 1024 mb in a gigabyte.

Or 1024b in a kb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anytime I am in Xtravision Parkway in Limerick browsing the games, it always has a queue of people renting. Saying that, there are about 5 Xtravisions in Limerick which seems a bit overkill. Smyths game choice has been absolutely awful lately, looks like they have no interest selling games anymore which leaves Gamestop one of the only shops left with a good choice of games who will trade with you. Gamesnash.ie are cheaper than gamestop (The have a pre-order low price guarantee against Gamestop) and will also trade games with you.

Hopefully Xtravision stays open even just to sell games, DVD's & Boxsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lol at people being quoted in newspapers today blaming the government for this, has nothing to do with their backwards thinking and an archaic business formula that never considered the threat of evolving technology and attitudes to media on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Its a pity Currys/PC World stopped selling games, they could have been in a great position right now.

Major game retailers Ireland 2012
    Tesco
    Smyths
    Argos
    Gamestop
    Game
    HMV
    Xtravision
    PC World
    Currys

Major game retailers Ireland 2013
    Tesco
    Smyths
    Argos
    Gamestop
    Xtravision?

Kinda sad to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well now I'm forced to buy a new game with my gift card just in case they go bust, so much for clearing my backlog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Well now I'm forced to buy a new game with my gift card just in case they go bust, so much for clearing my backlog

count yourself lucky it's an Xtravision gift card and not a HMV one.

Advertisement