Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra-Vision enter receivership: Games options are getting limited

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Worked in a few of their stores (Midleton, Youghal and Dungarvan)

Delighted their gone or on the brink of going. Said it nearly 2 years ago they wouldnt last. The business model they are using is dead. Its all online and streaming and they have been behind the curve all the time. no foresight in the company at all. Any one who was half decent working there jumped shipped a long time ago cause they knew what way it was going.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75219626&postcount=180

While i feel sorry for my friends still working there, im DEE LIGHTED they are just about gone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Xtra Vision are profitable from a retail standpoint, so they'll more than likely stay open (with some radical restructuring and a lot of people out of a job, which is sad, one of my brothers works for them).

B&M stores just can't compete with digital distribution. The margin on new releases really isn't huge, the only thing keeping most game stores afloat is the used games market (one of the primary reasons why Xtra Vision stayed afloat for so many years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

SC Kevin wrote: »

Delighted their gone or on the brink of going. Said it nearly 2 years ago they wouldnt last. The business model they are using is dead. Its all online and streaming and they have been behind the curve all the time. no foresight in the company at all. Any one who was half decent working there jumped shipped a long time ago cause they knew what way it was going.

While i feel sorry for my friends still working there, im DEE LIGHTED they are just about gone! :)

Classy guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This post has a stench of "I predicted something and it was right, ah, what an ego boost" while ignoring that it was an easy thing to predict, and the actual consequences for gamers on the high street is terrible. Yeah, you go and feel delighted. It isn't good for anyone. The gamer, the employees, anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i remember working in xtravision when I was 18-19. One christmas, the last weekend before christmas day we took in €13,500 in total sales inc credit cards etc. Our manager was doing runs to the bank every 3 hours to get rid of cash as it was too risky keeping it there.
    This was in a small enough town btw.
    Big difference now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Sigh, I'm in Galway so all that's left is Gamestop or Smyths.

How I miss thee, HMV.

Classy guy.

Says the fella who has a dig when they know nothing of the situation! :rolleyes:

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Yeah, you go and feel delighted

I do and i will, thanks! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Says the fella who has a dig when they know nothing of the situation! :rolleyes:

Jesus, just grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Sigh, I'm in Galway so all that's left is Gamestop or Smyths.

How I miss thee, HMV.

Amen, I am waiting on Fire Emblem to be re-stocked in Gamestop for a week now. And I miss buying & browsing dvds in HMV a lot too. I know there is Amazon but still.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't remember the last time I spent money in xtravision. They really aren't offering anything that can't be got cheaper/free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seriously people get over brick and mortar stores, stop giving gamestop your money and buy it cheaper online

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

VinLieger wrote: »
    Seriously people get over brick and mortar stores, stop giving gamestop your money and buy it cheaper online

Apparently some people dont like buying cheaper online, because they cant browse through stacks of overpriced dvds and games :confused:

I stuff in a high street store unless its a very good deal, or I trade in stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I remember as a kid going there up to 3 times a week to rent video tapes (before they used to charge 50p for not rewinding them). This was long before games were available for rent.

Since they started selling games I'd use them maybe once a year for an impulse buy. They were often €5 cheaper then Gamestop and it was cool that it opened so late. Surprised that they lasted until 2013, I remember reading years ago that there shares were trading at less then 1p (think it was back in the late 90's).

It may be a sh!tty place to work, but it's still a steady income for many people. Show some heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wasn't that near an extra vision as a kid and so the 1 night or 2 night rentals weren't gotten much, would as to get some and I'd get the same reply "who'll bring it back" but there were time where game and movies had week rental at a good price and I'd load up.

I've some memory of getting Kids movies for a week for 50p during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tinie wrote: »
    Im guessing hes hinting at 1024 mb in a gigabyte.
    [pedantic smartarsery]There are 8192 mb in a GB, 1024 MB in a GB... ;) :pac:[/pedantic smartarsery]

I'll be sorry to see XtraVision go, if they do. I'm still optomistic about the return of HMV though, as the company that runs the Canadian HMV operations, that bought over the UK operations does apparently want to re-open the Irish business, albeit in a smaller capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Falthyron wrote: »
    Keep that TPT up! :pac:

Oh god the unrealistic targets.

make it stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

xtra vision is a kip anyways

wish i could go back to the days

when a old red minivan full of videos used to come into

my estate and we would rent them off this dodgy oul lad

for 50p a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anyone know of any fairly recent Xbox games which are competitively priced in Xtra Vision?

Haven't shopped in the place in a long long time but have a €20 voucher to use and don't really buy Blu Ray's/DVD's so I'll put it towards a game. I only had time for a quick browse this evening going by and most of the games, even with the €20 taken off their price, aren't competitively priced at all. The new releases are €55 as well as some old ones too (Sleeping Dogs) and so at €35 they're still only around a fiver cheaper than online if even that in some cases. Halo 4 was €40 but a quick look around shows that's available online for 20. Now I know I'm comparing B&M pricing to online but surely there's scope for more value than that, especially with the rate at which games are discounted nowadays, 5 years ago noone would've batted an eyelid but the times have most certainly changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Pity, I think there's still a place for b&m shops, I like going out and getting a new game rather than waiting for online deliverys or even long downloads (thanks Irish internet). I actually think up until recently they were good value too (mainly game), new releases could be half price after a few months, it never seemed to me that online beat them much price wise, especially for older titles.

The models the shops ran on seem to almost all have been bad, and maybe that is why the prices were decent a while back, and why they are tanking now.

I think there is an opening in for a small shop ( relatively densely packed with stock though, its small after all !) With preowned games, new games and small amount of the popular titles

• Advertisement
Advertisement