Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assisated Suicide/Utanesia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah you should be allowed to. Why is some suit in the government allowed to control you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Poor woman, let her die the way she wants i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Euthanasia should be allowed in cases like MS, ALS and other degenerative illnesses. Same with untreatable cancers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wonder what the pro-life/right to life supporters would say about this.

Actually, I can probably guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

syklops wrote: »

Nothing. They'd get bashed and insulted by posters who in turn get protected by the mods in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I absolutely think people should be allowed to choose when to end their lives in times where living in constant pain or having to be looked after by others, the thoughts of living with something like locked in syndrome is absolutely terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Savita's request for life was declined; Marie Fleming's request to a dignified death was declined. Dogma causes an awful lot of unnecessary pain and suffering in this country. We need more compassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

whats stopping the lady from the link travelling to switzerland to get herself put down?
    Would her partner get charged for ordering the flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

returnNull wrote: »
    whats stopping the lady from the link travelling to switzerland to get herself put down?

Yes, he would. Assisted suicide carries a maximum sentence of 14 years under some Act from 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Yes, he would. Assisted suicide carries a maximum sentence of 14 years under some Act from 1993.

But they could just be going to Switzerland on a holiday? Then she goes off on her own to the centre where they do assisted suicide.

This country sickens me sometimes - no rights for women over their own bodies, no rights for the terminally ill or suffering horribly from chronic diseases, no rights for fathers to their own children. Fúcking disgrace.

• Advertisement

But they could just be going to Switzerland on a holiday? Then she goes off on her own to the centre where they do assisted suicide.

Marie Fleming is pretty much paralysed from the neck down due to her multiple sclerosis. She was unable to attend the SC's final hearing, as she was suffering from a potentially fatal chest/lung infection over the past few days. I doubt she'd be able to make her way to the Dignitas centre without help from her husband or family.

BTW, I'd be in favour of right-to-die legislation for terminally-ill patients with proper safeguards in place. If I was diagnosed with a disease that would eventually leave me paralysed, with no hope of a cure being found within my lifetime, I'd want to kill myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Marie Fleming is pretty much paralysed from the neck down due to her multiple sclerosis. She was unable to attend the SC's final hearing, as she was suffering from a potentially fatal chest/lung infection over the past few days. I doubt she'd be able to make her way to the Dignitas centre without help from her husband or family.

BTW, I'd be in favour of right-to-die legislation for terminally-ill patients with proper safeguards in place. If I was diagnosed with a disease that would eventually leave me paralysed, with no hope of a cure being found within my lifetime, I'd want to kill myself.

Ok, what about a chaperone or something though? I'm just unclear as to what the law is in Ireland in terms of going abroad to go through assisted suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

This country sickens me sometimes - no rights for women over their own bodies, no rights for the terminally ill or suffering horribly from chronic diseases, no rights for fathers to their own children. Fúcking disgrace.

women-prevented-from-travelling-to-switzerland-for-assisted-suicide

If I recall correctly, the travel agent reported them to the Gardai.

Ok, what about a chaperone or something though? I'm just unclear as to what the law is in Ireland in terms of going abroad to go through assisted suicide?

She probably wants to die in the company of those closest to her, e.g. her husband, her family, her friends etc. So hiring a chaperone to bring her to Dignitas is not really a solution here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

My opinion on this is fairly unpopular. I think euthanasia and assisted suicide should not be illegal for anybody, not just the terminally ill. With safe guards put in place to ensure that anybody seeking to go down that road receives a full psychiatric evaluation to make sure it's what the person actually wants and the desire to end their life is not just a symptom of some treatable psychiatric disorder.

If somebody genuinely wants to end their life and they are in a position to do it themselves then they will do it anyway, regardless of legality. At least if there was a system they could go through to have it done professionally and painlessly it would force them to go through psychiatric evaluation where they are much more likely to get the help they need than they would otherwise.

Why should anybody be forced to live a life they genuinely don't want to?

I think the big concern with this is that people might take advantage by disposing of their elderly parents in order to get their inheritance early and other equally despicable situations. I dont' think that is a reasonable argument tho because a proper psychiatric evaluation should be able to determine if a person is of sound mind when making the decision and if it is actually what they want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

LittleBook wrote: »

It must feel great to grass someone who is trying to end their misery to the filth. I bet the travel agent gave him or herself a good pat on the back.

What a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My views are simple, if I wanna end my life now I can and no one should be allowed to say I can't legally do it, so if I wanted to end it when I was all sorts of fcuked up but couldn't do it myself I should be allowed to ask for help. Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It really annoys me when people oppose something on a fundamental basis because of a trivial detail that's merely a technical problem to overcome.

For example - we can't have euthanasia because what happens if someone is killed against their wishes?

Well.. I guess we should never do anything ever again lest we discover a problem we have to overcome.

It's utterly disgusting that people don't have this right.

Steve O wrote: »
    It must feel great to grass someone who is trying to end their misery to the filth. I bet the travel agent gave him or herself a good pat on the back.

What a ****.

Nah, it'd be a case of "If you're happy and you know it, that's a sin!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

returnNull wrote: »

You could word that a bit better imo.

I am undecided about assisted suicide/Euthanasia but i think if someone i loved really wanted to do it then i would understand but im not sure i could help them do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Nobody would think twice about the morals of putting any animal in distress out of its misery, yet for some reason humans just have to put up with the suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Folks, report posts. Don't try and be funny instead. Stick to the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Blisterman wrote: »
    Nobody would think twice about the morals of putting any animal in distress out of its misery, yet for some reason humans just have to put up with the suffering.

to appease other people's morals, we'd put down a racehorse on the spot for breaking a leg but let someone live in misery for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I think most people here are all on the same boat and in favour of choice :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

What reasons do they give for not making it Legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

This is an issue that hits home with me, as it can relate to a member of my immediate family. Yet I still don't know how to feel about it. My brother suffers horribly every day, but he's still so young (in his mid 20s). He is quadriplegic and requires constant care, and it is no way to live. But to choose to die in your 20s is just such a depressing thought to me. Yet I don't want him to suffer.
    I really don't know how to feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

It'd be good to see this issue dealt with on a case to case basis. There are legitimate concerns surrounding the issue of the right to die, but I don't believe letting people of sound mind suffer and lose their dignity is morally justifiable. We need a more sensitive, nuanced approach, but this is Ireland at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Not to derail the thread, but in response to your question I'm pro-life on the issue of abortion but I am not against euthanasia for those suffering from untreatable degenerative illnesses. It would be tricky to introduce while protecting those vulnerable to potential coercion, but in theory I would allow it in certain cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

People are born into this earth without a choice... they should be able to choose when they want to leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Its a terrible sad case regardless.

jubella wrote: »
    This is an issue that hits home with me, as it can relate to a member of my immediate family. Yet I still don't know how to feel about it. My brother suffers horribly every day, but he's still so young (in his mid 20s). He is quadriplegic and requires constant care, and it is no way to live. But to choose to die in your 20s is just such a depressing thought to me. Yet I don't want him to suffer.

Tbh, how you feel about it, shouldn't matter in the long run. It should be up to your brother. He should have that choice, and for you to do your best in being understanding.

Thats the way I see it. In the end, it my be hard on family, but we are NOT the one in that specific/demoralizing/painful position.

Tbh, how you feel about it, shouldn't matter in the long run. It should be up to your brother. He should have that choice, and for you to do your best in being understanding.

Thats the way I see it. In the end, it my be hard on family, but we are NOT the one in that specific/demoralizing/painful position.

Oh I know that how I feel about it doesn't matter, I know I'm not the one suffering.
    But he's horribly depressed as a result of his situation (who wouldn't be) - so it's hard to know what would be the right thing. If he tells us he wants to die, how do we know it's not just a bad patch of depression? How could I, my mother, or anyone else in that situation make that decision if there's even a chance he could change his mind at a later date? If he was older it would be a different story I suppose.

I suppose depends on the severity of the depression and how often he is depressed/how long it lasts.
    Chronic depression rarely has a "wake up moment" where they stop wanting to die.(I'm not saying there aren't times they're glad they were still around, but often there's still the "please don't let me wake up tomorrow" )
    I would say, if he's saying he wants to die, for, like a year, than maybe he should be allowed.

I hope that made some sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Shades of grey certainly enter the equation when you're dealing with somebody physically healthy but suffering from severe depression. Should they be given the choice of assisted suicide?

Personally, I find it hard to agree with, as I don't think the person would have the capacity to make the decision. It's impossible to think rationally in such a state. On the other hand, who is anyone to decide this?

I suppose depends on the severity of the depression and how often he is depressed/how long it lasts.
    Chronic depression rarely has a "wake up moment" where they stop wanting to die.(I'm not saying there aren't times they're glad they were still around, but often there's still the "please don't let me wake up tomorrow" )
    I would say, if he's saying he wants to die, for, like a year, than maybe he should be allowed.

I hope that made some sense.

It does, I know I'll never understand how he's feeling, so who I am to say what he should do.

I'm not really arguing for or against here. Just wanted to offer a perspective of someone close to it and make the point that it's really hard to know what to do.

• Advertisement

it's really hard to know what to do.

but thats the point, why should we decide what to do? The only person who should have that right is the person wanting to die.
    and then, it's not so hard.

but thats the point, why should we decide what to do? The only person who should have that right is the person wanting to die.
    and then, it's not so hard.

I would have said the same before I was faced with the reality of it, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

jubella wrote: »
    the level of care of a person shoudnt make a difference to how someone they know feels about euthanasia, its about having quality of life.
    am also someone who requires 'constant care' and have lived in institutional and residential care for a decade,have been treated as a life long burden on others,and have even had one support staff in the past try and force suicide by handing the equipment and saying am a burden on everyone am living with;she was suspended and moved to a different facility;not sacked for that!
    people always use themselves and how they woud feel about having our disability, when how we think and our life experience is non transferable.

with the right support,multi disaplinary team involved,adaptions and equipment, understanding,positive encouragement from everyone, am able to have a higher quality of life and woud hate to see a euthanasia law rushed in because of the impact it woud have on disabled or terminaly ill people and how we are viewed; a commodity;a burden who shoud seek euthanasia ,euthanasia shoud only ever be about control and dignity for the person and it shoud not be seen as a default rule for everyone who has cancer etc,it needs absolute water tight research before it goes anywhere.

Scruffles wrote: »

with the right support,multi disaplinary team involved,adaptions and equipment, understanding,positive encouragement from everyone, am able to have a higher quality of life and woud hate to see a euthanasia law rushed in because of the impact it woud have on disabled or terminaly ill people and how we are viewed; a commodity;a burden who shoud seek euthanasia ,euthanasia shoud only ever be about control and dignity for the person and it shoud not be seen as a default rule for everyone who has cancer etc,it needs absolute water tight research before it goes anywhere.

I absolutely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

if someone makes a conscious decision that they want to end their life, they should be allowed to do it and under medical supervision, unless of course its a fit and able bodied person who can be cured or their life prolonged to a reasonable standard. In any case this silly government need to get out of the dark ages and let misfortunate people such as this woman be allowed to end their lives with dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LittleBook wrote: »
    women-prevented-from-travelling-to-switzerland-for-assisted-suicide

Oh wow, that's ****ed up!

I thought it was something similar to the abortion law, can't do it here - but can go abroad as they have no authority over you in another country.

Seriously made me angry. How is it any person in Ireland's business to restrict you from leaving the country for your own reasons? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Usually one of the most limelight-shy, non-controversial presenters in RTE, it came as a bit of a surprise to me to hear Derek Mooney this morning subscribe to the idea of euthanasia. He doesn't say anything about supporting legislation for it in Ireland though, but rather that he be allowed fly to Switzerland to have his wishes carried out-

Derek Mooney vows to end his life if he faces terminal illness
    The presenter who is 46 said he made the decision after watching his mum and brother suffer agonising deaths.

He said: “I’ve told everyone I know to put me on a plane to Switzerland because that is how I’d like to end my life.

“Religion doesn’t come into it. If you don’t have a quality of life, you don’t have a life.

“I’m not one for pain. Maybe it’s also because I’m on my own that my views are coloured that way.

“Maybe I have a different view because I don’t have a family or kids, I don’t have a wife or a partner. That could be the reason.

“But I’m also a practical person and I don’t believe in dragging things out unnecessarily for myself.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Is this an abortion thread?

I could have swore it was about euthanasia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Usually one of the most limelight-shy, non-controversial presenters in RTE, it came as a bit of a surprise to me to hear Derek Mooney this morning subscribe to the idea of euthanasia. He doesn't say anything about supporting legislation for it in Ireland though, but rather that he be allowed fly to Switzerland to have his wishes carried out-

Derek Mooney vows to end his life if he faces terminal illness

Any chance he could fly to Switzerland now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

sfwcork wrote: »
    Assisted Suicide/Utanesia

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0429/387096-marie-fleming-to-hear-supreme-court-appeal-ruling/Above story got me thinking about thisIts my personal opinion that it should be allowed.If a person wats to peacefully go then its their decisionWhats your opinion AH

If you can spell it, you can have it OP.

Oh wait........

Advertisement