Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the U.S a force for good or bad in the world?

• 29-04-2013 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I'd say culturally the good outweighs the bad, in term of the geopolitical situation it's the other way around, here's a list of countries they've bombed since the end of WW2

http://www.globalresearch.ca/list-of-countries-the-usa-has-bombed-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/24626

Is the U.S.A a force for good or bad in the world? 92 votes

Good outweighs the Bad
    0% 0 votes
    Bad outweighs the Good
    56% 52 votes
    The Great Satan
    34% 32 votes
    The Land of the Free and all that's good.
    8% 8 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

In a world where everything is black and white, I might have an answer to this question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In a world where everything is black and white, I might have an answer to this question.

Michael Jackson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

One the US has done more than anyone to promote the values of liberal democracy. On the other, they've been waging imperialistic wars since the nineteenth century, often aligning themselves with evil and corrupt regimes to ensure their influence in places such as South America were not affected. They are capable of being a great force for good in the world, but like any empire, they are primarily concerned with power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Put it this way, woud you rather the Soviets, Tojo's Japan or Nazi Germany be the worlds policeman? It aint perfect but the alternative could be terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

jank wrote: »
    Put it this way, woud you rather the Soviets, Toto's Japan or Nazi Germany be the worlds policeman? It aint perfect but the alternative could be terrible.
    :D

Dorothy's dog or that band that had a hit with 'Africa'?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

:D

The Dorothy's dog or that band that had a hit with 'Africa'?

ROFL, nice one! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Guatemala 1954

Guatemala 1960

Guatemala 1964

Guatemala 1967-69

...hmm. Seems as though they may not like Guatemala very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

dd972 wrote: »
    I'd say culturally the good outweighs the bad, in term of the geopolitical situation it's the other way around, here's a list of countries they've bombed since the end of WW2

http://www.globalresearch.ca/list-of-countries-the-usa-has-bombed-since-the-end-of-world-war-ii/24626

I actually expected the list to be longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

It depends on how you choose to interpret those two subjective terms "good" and "evil"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Isnt it a rule that all AH polls have to have Atari Jaguar as an option? Otherwise how are we to show our complete disinterest in serious topics we couldnt give a fuck about?

Oh.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Let me ask you this question. If the USA (and all of their contributions, good and bad) was removed from the planet. Would the world be a better or worse place ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What good is a list, without stating what the relevance of those events posted in it?

Not all of us are clued into the foreign policy/domestic issues of many of those countries. Or what may have occurred to incite or provoke the USA into military action. From a few of those I can see they didn't act alone. Vaguely recall quite a few others acting in Bosnia and Iraq during the '90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Let me ask you this question. If the USA (and all of their contributions, good and bad) was removed from the planet. Would the world be a better or worse place ?

We'd have nowhere to send our illegal immigints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

they sent their own people off to war under the pretence of liberating the people of Iraq and saving the great US of A from certain obliteration at the hands of evil terrorists.
    Over 1 million dead Iraqis later, thousands of their own servicemen and women dead or disabled; veterans forgotten about and mistreated on their return home...

All to ensure that corporations like Halliburton and Lockheed Martin remain highly profitable.

How is this a force for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Most responsible and least belligerent superpower in world history. While they have at times supported corrupt regimes, the world owes them a debt of gratitude for their support in opposing the nazis and the soviets, and for their very large role in ensuring Europe rose from the ashes of World War 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Like any country, it has a lot of skeletons in its closet. But I think it says a lot that just about every independence movement in the world models itself on the US constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's a very contradictory society - home of the free and democracy and all that but there is still huge amounts of racism, marginalisation and poverty.
    In a world conext possibly more good than bad if only assuming that the alternative would have been worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seeing as the US is responsible for the deaths of more civilians than any other country since the end of world war II and has invaded or bombed more countries than any other country since the end of world war II, has backed dictators and apartheid regimes from South east asia to south america and generally done nothing but line the pockets of major corporations in the process under the pretense of "liberating" and "bringing democracy", I reckon the bad outweighs the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

gramar wrote: »
    It's a very contradictory society - home of the free and democracy and all that but there is still huge amounts of racism, marginalisation and poverty.
    In a world conext possibly more good than bad if only assuming that the alternative would have been worse.

These happen nowhere else thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

jank wrote: »
    the worlds policeman

What a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Seaneh wrote: »
    Seeing as the US is responsible for the deaths of more civilians than any other country since the end of world war II and has invaded or bombed more countries than any other country since the end of world war II, has backed dictators and apartheid regimes from South east asia to south america and generally done nothing but line the pockets of major corporations in the process under the pretense of "liberating" and "bringing democracy", I reckon the bad outweighs the good.

Yea I agree, I mean imagine if they didn't care to help in any of the wars previously, we'd be in a good place now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How do you distinguish between a country's people, its current government,past governments etc?

Are the current citizens or government responsible for dropping the atomic bomb on Japan? Are they responsible for slavery? segregation etc?

It's impossible to answer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

mathie wrote: »
    These happen nowhere else thankfully.

I just think the the US is the ultimate hyprocrisy. We're all bad but they're probably the worst as far as I'm concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yea I agree, I mean imagine if they didn't care to help in any of the wars previously, we'd be in a good place now.....

Arrah, sure we'll give give them a free pass because they helped Europe out a while back, sure they're grand, they only kill brown people anyway!

And sure they did the helping in the world wars out of the goodness of their wee hearts, nothing to do with kick starting their economy or being dragged into it by being attacked, totally selfless acts on both occasions!

Advertisement