Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Lease Notice

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this question has been asked and answered a million times before.

We have been in our apartment for the last 3 years and have signed a fixed term 1 year lease each year. We now want to leave at the natural end of this agreement (1st July).

Do we have to give written notice at the start of May or do we have to give written notice at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Technically not, but it would be seen as decent manners to give the landlord as much notice as possible (ie a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sallybongers

Thanks djimi. We were definitely going to give notice anyway, but I wasn't sure whether I had to provide formal written notice this week.

I always thought the length of tenancy correlated to how much notice you had to give? I was worried that I would have to give 2 months notice because although we only signed 1 year fixed term leases each year, we have been tenants for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

That only applies where you do not have a fixed term lease. While on a fixed term lease there is no formal notice period that you either need to give or can be given to vacate.

Advertisement