Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted Y Axis - Yes or No

• 29-04-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭

This came up in work and myself and a colleague were considered some kind of mutants for playing with an inverted Y Axis, but I've been playing that way since Starwing on the SNES and without it, a game feels unplayable (Splinter Cell HD for a recent example.).

So do you invert?

Do you invert the Y Axis in games. 62 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Shiminaysuper_furryRabiesRetr0gamerSarnSarkyDhal9000Calhoun[Deleted User]hardCopyGenericNameanimaalDacelonidjoe123DVD-Lots[Deleted User]CastorTroyBanjochopperbyrne 62 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I remember when I was small the confusion swapping between games and not realising you could generally configure it yourself, so I stuck with no inversion and got used to it quickly when I realised, because it makes the most sense - up should look up :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, it's wrong. Only appropriate for flying games!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

No
    been inverted since quake!
    DOWN IS UP... DOWN IS UP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

I typically have to flip the y-axis on any games played with a gamepad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No. Why would you choose to make something do the opposite of what it's supposed to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Flying games, yes.

Everything else, nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

No
    yep, I have to invert the Y-axis (both on xbox and PC). No idea why... it actually seems pretty illogical now that I think about it. Airplane controls for everything!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

No, and it really annoys me when a game comes automatically with the axis inverted. As has been said, if it's not a flying game, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I think inverting feels natural to some people, particularly with control sticks, because it matches how your neck moves in real life - you tilt your head forward to look down and backwards to look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No
    Angron wrote: »
    No, and it really annoys me when a game comes automatically with the axis inverted. As has been said, if it's not a flying game, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

move your head up and down. Feel that?? You feel your neck muscles compressing yer you look up. You feel your neck muscles stretching and you look down. Thats why it makes sense you mutant!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Arawn wrote: »
    move your head up and down. Feel that?? You feel your neck muscles compressing yer you look up. You feel your neck muscles stretching and you look down. Thats why it makes sense you mutant!!
    No, it doesn't. I primarily play on PC, where (surprise surprise) you move the mouse up to look up, and down to look down. Likewise, moving a stick upwards to look up makes sense (at least to me). Mutant comment was a bit much too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I did for Lylat Wars, and stuck with it for Goldeneye, but anything after that, nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

No, it doesn't. I primarily play on PC, where (surprise surprise) you move the mouse up to look up, and down to look down. Likewise, moving a stick upwards to look up makes sense (at least to me).

You move the mouse... up? Thanks, now that's clear as mud. :D

No

Can you name many games that have inverted controls as default? :confused: (obviously excluding flying games)
    I cant remember the last game where I didn't have to change to inverted at the start. :pac:
    What annoys me is some games are removing the inverted option! :mad:
    :cough: splinter cell :cough:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pretty much what everyone has said with flying games. It mimics a flight stick.

Remember in old FPS PC games where the mouse is inverted? /shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No
    Tried it one day in Goldeneye and never looked back since, I love how its become a right handed/left handed argument where one group looks down on the other group as being "different" and "weird".
    Well I invert and im damn proud of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No
    hal9000 wrote: »

Ive been the same ever since quake 2, it doesnt seem natural to play the otherway around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

elekid wrote: »
    I think inverting feels natural to some people, particularly with control sticks, because it matches how your neck moves in real life - you tilt your head forward to look down and backwards to look up.

But in a FPS, you're not controlling the muscles in your character's head, you're controlling where your character is looking. If you want to look left, you move the stick left. Look right, move the stick right. Look up, you move the stick up. Look down, move the stick down.

What you're suggesting is moving the character's head based on a plan view of the character, whereby left and right remain the same, but moving the head back makes the character look up and vice versa.

I can somewhat see the logic but it makes far less sense than essentially pointing at where you want to look at. You're essentially controlling the neck rather than the head/eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

No
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Ive been the same ever since quake 2, it doesnt seem natural to play the otherway around.

Aye.
    lean back to look up, lean forward to look down. makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

No
    So what do ye do when playing something like BF3 that has planes and is an FPS? Do you invert the planes but then have non inverted for the rest? I'm inverted since Space Harrier on the Speccy btw, AND DARN PROUD OF IT!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No
    Always invert sticks, but never mouse.

Also get really pissed off every time a game is released without the option to look with the left stick and move with the right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    So what do ye do when playing something like BF3 that has planes and is an FPS? Do you invert the planes but then have non inverted for the rest?

I hold my controller upside-down when I'm flying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No
    With a mouse, no, but with a joy-pad, yes. I don't know why, I just can't brain a control pad when it's not inverted.

This has caused many discussion amongst my circle of gaming friends. I read something about it before and how it ties to how your brain perceives what it is you're trying to do.

I do of course have my mouse inverted for flight controls as that's the way they work in the real world (it's only BF3 that this really comes into play with now that I think on it, used to play loads of flight sims as a kid, but not anymore).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

No
    Always ALWAYS Invert.

I guess it's just the way some brains are wired.

I've always naturally used the mouse/controller as if it was (when it wasn't on). Just so odd when it's off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Always invert with a joypad, never invert with a mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No
    On controller - Inverted
    On PC - normal

The way I see it on controller. When you push stick forward, it means you lean your head forward, so your eyes look down. When you push stick back to yourself, it means you push your head back, so your eyes look up. This is the way I always played on controller. When I gave my misses to play fps for the first time in her life, she went inverted too after trying both.

Its all about preference. nothing special or wrong in the way people use it. One thing that is annoying, when you dont have an option for invert. Beyond good and evil on xbox invert did not worked. I just could not play that game due to this.

Fnz wrote: »
    You move the mouse... up? Thanks, now that's clear as mud. :D
    You move the mouse forward, or up, the table. I don't see how that's not clear unless you are just wilfully ignoring what I'm trying to say.
    Can you name many games that have inverted controls as default? :confused: (obviously excluding flying games)
    I cant remember the last game where I didn't have to change to inverted at the start. :pac:
    What annoys me is some games are removing the inverted option! :mad:
    :cough: splinter cell :cough:
    I know Ratchet and Clank did (It's possible that Jak and Daxter did too, but I'm not sure, the games were pretty similar so I could just have them a bit mixed up). I know I've played a few games that have done it, but I mostly play on PC as I said earlier, so it doesn't come into play as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No
    Non-inverted Y Axes make absolutely no sense to my brain

No
    Now there is one option I cant understand
    Invert X-Axis????? :confused:
    Who the hell uses that! other than for trolling purposes obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For a flight game yes, but anything else & thats just sick

Advertisement