Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted Y Axis - Yes or No

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

No
    invert players are usually godly at online fpshooters :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would you press the down button to call an elevator to the top floor of a building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Would you press the down button to call an elevator to the top floor of a building?

Yes, I want to go down. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No
    ScumLord wrote: »

lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No
    Yes, I want to go down. :cool:

4194259736_0b3d3edfeb.jpg

• Advertisement

No
    put the thumb of your right hand to the back of your head and look up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Angron wrote: »
    No, it doesn't. I primarily play on PC, where (surprise surprise) you move the mouse up to look up, and down to look down. Likewise, moving a stick upwards to look up makes sense (at least to me).
    Fnz wrote: »
    You move the mouse... up? Thanks, now that's clear as mud. :D
    You move the mouse forward, or up, the table. I don't see how that's not clear unless you are just wilfully ignoring what I'm trying to say.

You're begging the question. I was pointing out how you relate 'forward' to 'up', as if it's the most natural translation in the world.

Moving "the mouse up (forward) to look up" makes no more logical sense than moving it forward to look down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

put the thumb of your right hand to the back of your head and look up

You also have to pull your thumb to the left to look right and vise versa which controls even when inverted do not do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

You're begging the question. I was pointing out how you relate 'forward' to 'up', as if it's the most natural translation in the world.

Moving "the mouse up (forward) to look up" makes no more logical sense than moving it forward to look down.
    Ok, let me put it this way then: I move the mouse forward, or up the table, to look up. I move it back, or down the table, to look down. I don't see how that doesn't make logical sense. And in case it's the terminology that you're taking issue with, then fair enough. I thought people would get what I meant by up, but I guess I wasn't being as clear as I thought I was.

(Really not being sarcastic, but the end bit sounds very sarcastic in my head so sorry about that)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No
    I started inverted with X-Wing, Quake and Mechwarrior and have stayed with it ever since. There's no benefit to either really except in one area. Using inverted makes you 75% cooler and 95% more attractive to the opposite sex. Just ask Iceman and Maverick in Top Gun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I started inverted with X-Wing, Quake and Mechwarrior and have stayed with it ever since. There's no benefit to either really except in one area. Using inverted makes you 75% cooler and 95% more attractive to the opposite sex. Just ask Iceman and Maverick in Top Gun.

Get him lads, invert hipster!

No

According to this thread its the other way around...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No
    According to this thread its the other way around...

Yeah sure. So you are saying the majority of gamers are a hot as me and this guy?:

iceman.jpg

Pull the other one.

No
    I've always inverted it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I move the mouse forward, or up the table, to look up. I move it back, or down the table, to look down. I don't see how that doesn't make logical sense. And in case it's the terminology that you're taking issue with, then fair enough.

Oh, both ways make sense. Forward to look up (just as forward moves the mouse cursor up the screen) or back to look up (just as a person might tilt their head back to look up).

It's just a matter of perspective.

No
    You could say the same about the way touch screen scrolling works. You swipe up to scroll down, or swipe down to scroll up.

No
    Yeah sure. So you are saying the majority of gamers are a hot as me and this guy?:

iceman.jpg

Pull the other one.

Well, you are as hot as ever, but in 8bit way! :D

Mean that those who use it non inverted really look down on us inverted peasants. Looks like they are getting all the sexy stuff out there :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Oh, both ways make sense. Forward to look up (just as forward moves the mouse cursor up the screen) or back to look up (just as a person might tilt their head back to look up).

It's just a matter of perspective.

Pretty much, yeah. It's just the way I'm used to, so it's the one I'd prefer naturally enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Inverting the Y axis is for people who are shíte at video games

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No
    Felexicon wrote: »

FACT

Why dont you try inverting the y axis?
    Answer - cus it would be too hard for you to change.

We chose to invert it cus games werent challenging enough, ergo people who dont invert are shite at games...... ehh oh yeah FACT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

No
    I wonder is it a case of more older gamers inverting the Y axis because that's the way old FPS were?

The comparison with flight controls is a good point. Clearly when deciding that moving back on a flight stick means up and forward means down, it was based on the tilting of the head and how your view of the horizon changes. Based on this logic it would make sense to carry it into the PC world and FPS.

Therefore, invert Y-axis FTW!!

No
    Sarn wrote: »
    I wonder is it a case of more older gamers inverting the Y axis because that's the way old FPS were?

The comparison with flight controls is a good point. Clearly when deciding that moving back on a flight stick means up and forward means down, it was based on the tilting of the head and how your view of the horizon changes. Based on this logic it would make sense to carry it into the PC world and FPS.

Therefore, invert Y-axis FTW!!

Thats the funny thing. On PC I use it always normal, but on Controller I just cant play with non inverted Y-axis. I apply tilting method you discribed in controller due to thumbsticks. wheres mouse is sort of on a flat surface and in my mind the surface on a desk is trasfered on a screen.

I dont know.. sounds silly, though I do know then in general the gamers who do invert their Y-axis got 2.3 inches more, then poor non inverters. Thats just what I heard lads, I dont have link to prove!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

No
    I used to play flight simulators in the 80's and 90's, so the first thing I do is 'invert Y'. Feels unnatural otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Well, you are as hot as ever, but in 8bit way! :D

Mean that those who use it non inverted really look down on us inverted peasants. Looks like they are getting all the sexy stuff out there :D

and this what they really look like

val-kilmer-253x300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

hal9000 wrote: »
    Can you name many games that have inverted controls as default? :confused: (obviously excluding flying games)
    I cant remember the last game where I didn't have to change to inverted at the start. :pac:
    What annoys me is some games are removing the inverted option! :mad:
    :cough: splinter cell :cough:

The original InFamous came with the controls inverted by default

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

No
    Chris Ryan wrote: »
    The original InFamous came with the controls inverted by default

woah, woah! dont overwhelm me with the delude of games that have inverted controls by default! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm too lazy to switch the control options, so I can play either way. Can you guys not? Does that count as being handicapped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

No
    Penn wrote: »
    But in a FPS, you're not controlling the muscles in your character's head, you're controlling where your character is looking. If you want to look left, you move the stick left. Look right, move the stick right. Look up, you move the stick up. Look down, move the stick down.

What you're suggesting is moving the character's head based on a plan view of the character, whereby left and right remain the same, but moving the head back makes the character look up and vice versa.

I can somewhat see the logic but it makes far less sense than essentially pointing at where you want to look at. You're essentially controlling the neck rather than the head/eyes.

The big difference between inverters and non inverters is what they're actually perceiving the stick to be doing. Inverters use it like they are controlling the position of their head, whereas folk who don't invert are moving the stick in reference to where they want to look on screen, so basically using it as a pointer.

The horizontal axis is fine in both occasions because if I (inverted) want to move my head in game to the left i have to push to the left (because If i push my actual head to the left, it goes left). Non inverted folk look to the left push the stick relative where they want to look, so it's to the left also.

Now, if i want to look up, I need to pull the stick back (because I don't perceive it as controlling up/down, it's pulling my head back to point my POV upwards). Non inverters are basically using the stick as a pointer, so they move it up to look up.

How do I know this? I cannot play non-inverted. Any genre, cannot do it. The right stick is controlling my head. Then I played Metroid Prime on the Wii. That's non inverted, but it worked perfectly for me because I was using an actual pointer, as opposed to using the right stick as a pointer, because that's my head, man!

So erm, yeah, I play inverted! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

hal9000 wrote: »
    woah, woah! dont overwhelm me with the delude of games that have inverted controls by default! :p

Haha I know, I know. I just found it quite strange is all :pac:

• Advertisement

No
    Felexicon wrote: »

FACT

1pbWU.gif

Advertisement