Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted Y Axis - Yes or No

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

hal9000 wrote: »
    Now there is one option I cant understand
    Invert X-Axis????? :confused:
    Who the hell uses that! other than for trolling purposes obviously!

Me!! For Dark Souls and no other game ever. Have no idea why, just seemed to work for me.

I did invert the Y-axis then after not having gamed for a while I didn't invert the y-axis and found I was happier with it not inverted. To each their own I reckon. (unless they're screwing about with my settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

No
    Jericho. wrote: »
    Me!! For Dark Souls and no other game ever. Have no idea why, just seemed to work for me.

I did invert the Y-axis then after not having gamed for a while I didn't invert the y-axis and found I was happier with it not inverted. To each their own I reckon. (unless they're screwing about with my settings)

BURN HIM, He's a WITCH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

On the consoles I always invert the Y-axis. I used to play a lot of flight sims so when I use a stick, I think inverted controls.

On PC, I always use the mouse the normal way.

I used to invert the x-axis for third person games, as that's the way it works in Mario 64. As if you're moving a camera around. I've changed now since some games didn't have the option to invert the x-axis so I got used to the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    I don't think of it as inverting the Y-axis. It's more reverting it to what it should have been all along but isn't because people are f*cking weird these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No
    Always invert the Y-axis. Hard getting used to games where it isn't inverted. who actually started the trend of making it non inverted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The clue is in the name:

invert
    vb [ɪnˈvɜːt]
    1. to turn or cause to turn upside down or inside out

It's literally upside down from what it's supposed to be. Therefore, it's wrong.

37170934.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    You're investing something that was already inverted by weirdos, thus "inverting" is actually fixing someone's mistake. So nyah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No
    If you are an old school Quake player, you invert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No
    I invert on joypads on console games in most FPS cases - but on certain third-person games I have it set normal, but I wouldn't on a PC game, normal mouse and keys all the way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

No
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Always invert the Y-axis. Hard getting used to games where it isn't inverted. who actually started the trend of making it non inverted?

I've asked numerous developers about this before, and basically the reasoning is that most new gamers (people who've started playing in the last decade) can't get their head around inversion, so rather than listening to them complaining, they made non-inverted Y axis the default - given that anyone who would invert is more experienced, and will know where to find it in the menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

No
    Yes, invert Y axis for every game pretty much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Only in flying games

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

abbir wrote: »
    I used to invert the x-axis for third person games, as that's the way it works in Mario 64. As if you're moving a camera around. I've changed now since some games didn't have the option to invert the x-axis so I got used to the other way.

Hmm, I reckon this is what happened to me. You do move the camera in Dark Souls in a similarish manner to Mario 64 I suppose, different and all as the games are.

Advertisement