Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre pay power - are they competitively priced ?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

I just want to get the hourly meter reading gismo to see hourly usage. I don't care about the budget so much.

Are they a good deal usage wise / are they competitive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They are almost the same price as esb. Maybe a little dearer. All they do is work like pay as you go phones. Price is same as bill pay but you buy as you use rather than getting an €xxx bill to be paid in one lump.

We're with them 8-9 months now and it works out about the same per 2 months as esb but with no huge bill to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

They charge an extra 37.5 cent per day in service charges on top of the usual standing charge. That's about €140 a year for the privilege.

http://www.prepaypower.ie/pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Electrical forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Thanks.

Ah ok. The last thing I need is to pay more for my Elec.

The gismo that tells you what you use every 30 mins is great but at circa 140 a year - no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

they told me that 150euro credit will only last 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

PucaMama wrote: »
    they told me that 150euro credit will only last 3 weeks.

Wow, are you a seriously heavy user or anything?
    In fairness their unit prices are the same as EI, the only difference is the 37.5c charge per day. So I can't understand how you would be spending €50 a week.

I just signed up today and I'm happy, I'm moving into a new place and am a first time electricity customer, I would have had to pay a €300 deposit up front with electric Ireland. Now I believe you get that back but for now it's just not feasible for me to be handing out that kind of money right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

uberalles wrote: »
    Thanks.

The gismo that tells you what you use every 30 mins is great but at circa 140 a year - no thanks.

I have an airtricity electricity monitor, boxed. Same as Owl which I have also so not needed. If anyone wants to buy please PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

uberalles wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yea it works out that the extra charge is around the same as the standing charge. So in effect you pay double standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Avoid them , there much dearer I' m amazed at people who join them thinking they save money.
    Here's what they should be doing.

Replace all bulbs with good quality LEDs, Philips are regarded as the best.

Avoid running half loads in dishwasher and washing machine.

Summer is here, throw away the tumble dryer, avoid using dehumidifies.

Don't leave the immersion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think the OP is asking about the OWL electricity monitor which shows you how many kWh you are using... you can buy them in Argos for about €50 and then they don't use any power, just takes batteries.

If you're talking about a pay as you go/prepaid meter, well the answer is above, 37.5 cent a day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea it works out that the extra charge is around the same as the standing charge. So in effect you pay double standing charge.

So are they playing the recession card and making money off of peoples backs by doing this????

if thats the case,then isnt that rather sly and very low of them too.??:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have be on Pre Pay Power for over a year now. It works out pretty much the same as my bills were.

Tails142 wrote: »
    I think the OP is asking about the OWL electricity monitor which shows you how many kWh you are using... you can buy them in Argos for about €50 and then they don't use any power, just takes batteries.

If you're talking about a pay as you go/prepaid meter, well the answer is above, 37.5 cent a day.

OP has a heading saying pre pay power. Seems to be asking about the pre pay setup by the look of it.

paddy147 wrote: »
    So are they playing the recession card and making money off of peoples backs by doing this????

if thats the case,then isnt that rather sly and very low of them too.??:(

Well it could be said they provide a service, and you pay extra for that.

But in effect, they are simply paying your esb bill, and you pay them via their monitoring meter, or something along those lines. Because their meter cuts out the supply if not topped up, they wont be left short.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well it could be said they provide a service, and you pay extra for that.

But in effect, they are simply paying your esb bill, and you pay them via their monitoring meter, or something along those lines. Because their meter cuts out the supply if not topped up, they wont be left short.

Electric Ireland, Board Gais, Airtricity also provide a service, the only difference is thesse guys can not be left short by customers and hance have reduced over heads. but are charging you extra.

If you go in to arrears, the other companies wil provide th esame prepay meter but without the added costs.

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/pay-as-you-go.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Do Airtricity charge a daily rate for having the meter like prepay power? I know they charge 37 cent a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

more info on electricity charges /prices here http://www.bonkers.ie using the prepay power option seems to be the most expensive

jjf1974 wrote: »
    more info on electricity charges /prices here http://www.bonkers.ie using the prepay power option seems to be the most expensive
    not showing results for pay as you go for aurtricty only prepay power and pinenergy

lisar816 wrote: »
    not showing results for pay as you go for aurtricty only prepay power and pinenergy

I'm not aware of Airtricity doing a 'prepay' meter. Are they not chaotic enough :rolleyes:

emeldc wrote: »
    I'm not aware of Airtricity doing a 'prepay' meter. Are they not chaotic enough :rolleyes:
    Yes they do one. I'm waiting on mine i've got the cards but no meter yet. I did initially ring prepay power and had a date and all but then a friend of mine told me airtricity do one and don't charge the 37 cent a day but now i've been told they do so looking to find out.

• Advertisement

lisar816 wrote: »
    Yes they do one. I'm waiting on mine i've got the cards but no meter yet. I did initially ring prepay power and had a date and all but then a friend of mine told me airtricity do one and don't charge the 37 cent a day but now i've been told they do so looking to find out.

Indeed you're right, didn't know that. I had a look around the T & C's and it does mention equipment charges but doesn't say how much. Would you not just get into the habit of paying a few quid off the bill every week in the post office and save yourself €140 pa for the comfort of having a prepay meter. You wont be able to shop around for a better deal while you have the meter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i was thinking about it for a while.........'electric ireland ' asked me would i like to jump ship

but having look at the pre-pay deal i think i'll get the arrears sorted:) and cut back on usage

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mistee

Hi, I am moving into a new apt and I thinking of getting pay as you go electricity - to avoid 'nasty bills'.
    is there a standing charge and the 37 cent per day or how does it work? I am slightly confused..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

check out prepays charge for moving from them, ie if you ever want to go to credit meter again....

utterly insane, read the t&c's from them carefully

mistee wrote: »
    Hi, I am moving into a new apt and I thinking of getting pay as you go electricity - to avoid 'nasty bills'.
    is there a standing charge and the 37 cent per day or how does it work? I am slightly confused..
    yes there is a charge pre pay poewer charge 37c Airtricty charge 39c a day.

But all electricty bill have a stsnding charge anyway i think Airtricty charge 19c a day

Advertisement