Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tt bike or road bike

Options
  • 29-04-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi lads... just looking for some feedback.... I have an ok road bike...a bh road bike which I love .... I bought a Dolan Aria tt bike last year which I also love... I've been using the tt bike so far this race season and whereas I feel good on it I don't seem to be getting the performances on it that I did on the road bike last year... whereas the road bike is a lot heavier I seem to be able to hit higher top speeds on it, but I can maintain a higher speed for longer on the tt bike (if that makes sense)... I'm just wondering am I better off using the road bike? Just looking for some opinions.... road bike or tt bike for my next race...kilkee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Not sure about Kilkee Trig, never done the race but I know for definite I am faster on my TT bike. Probably a bit more comfortable on the road bike but like you said I can maintain a higher speed on the TT bike for what seems like less effort. The one big thing with the TT bike though is fitting it right. I would def recommend getting a bike fit done on it, plenty of people doing them and I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations for one. A good fit on TT bike and an aero helmet and you will be faster than on your road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi lads... just looking for some feedback.... I have an ok road bike...a bh road bike which I love .... I bought a Dolan Aria tt bike last year which I also love... I've been using the tt bike so far this race season and whereas I feel good on it I don't seem to be getting the performances on it that I did on the road bike last year... whereas the road bike is a lot heavier I seem to be able to hit higher top speeds on it, but I can maintain a higher speed for longer on the tt bike (if that makes sense)... I'm just wondering am I better off using the road bike? Just looking for some opinions.... road bike or tt bike for my next race...kilkee

Alot of people get a TT/tri bike. Get as low and as narrow and as aero as possible and then find they cannot generate any power and go slower.

A less aggressive position. May be somewhat hampered by the slack seatpost angle on Dolans

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I had the same problem as you described. I even found after 40km couldn't stay down in aero position. Got professional fit. Best money spent. Higher speed with lower bpm. I can pm you details if wanted for Galway area. Hugh difference def recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Trig1 wrote: »

If you were to do a 40k TT on each bike which one would be quicker?

Now throw a nasty little ramp into the beginning and end of each of those TT's and which one will be quicker?

If your TT is a steady pace at higher speed I would use it for Kilkee as a large part of the course is relatively flat or undulating (except for the lumps going in and out of the town).

The only advice extra is to make sure you are comfortable with handling at speed, in the aero position, in wind, passing other bikes as it can be wild down there.

If in any doubt go with the roadie, the bit of time 'lost' can easily be gained with fresher legs in the run. And you need fresh legs for that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

tunney wrote: »
    Alot of people get a TT/tri bike. Get as low and as narrow and as aero as possible and then find they cannot generate any power and go slower.

A less aggressive position. May be somewhat hampered by the slack seatpost angle on Dolans

is that not short term gains at the expense of longerterm gains. read an article by chris boardman a while back where he said get as aero as possible and your body will soon get used to it?

• Advertisement

longshank wrote: »
    is that not short term gains at the expense of longerterm gains. read an article by chris boardman a while back where he said get as aero as possible and your body will soon get used to it?

Firstly lower and narrower isn't always more aero.

Secondly some people will never adapt.

In these days of power meters people can work out their optimal TT position( power vs aero)

(PM + AeroLabs + accurately measured hill)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

tunney wrote: »
    Firstly lower and narrower isn't always more aero.

Secondly some people will never adapt.

In these days of power meters people can work out their optimal TT position( power vs aero)

(PM + AeroLabs + accurately measured hill)

Would that not be the optimal position at that moment in time but if they went for a more aero position it might cost time now but over the long term they might adapt to the position and be faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I would also suggest getting your position looked at, as Tunney said low is not always faster. A lot of folk do not have the flexibity or core strenght to hold the position for periods of time (not saying you fall into this bucket) and this results in movement in the body and ruins any aero gain you got from the bike.

how much time are you spending on the TT bike over the roadie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

that is correct in some terms what chris B says but its simply not true if biomechanic ROM rules are broken to achieve an agressive position. ( chris b dosnt have to run of the bike ;-)

what we see in long races is that a lot of people spend more time out of the aero position and that negates any gains of an more aero positon , and often leads to poor runs as they are too stiff in either lower back or hipp flexor. at the same time a lot of this can be balanced out with shorter cranks ( which are NOT faster but they can allow a better position certainly with hipp flexor issues)

while the body can adapt it can not adapt to wrong positions flexibility is hardly a limitor to bike position despite the fact we hear this all the time but if a bike has a very slack angle ( mostly european bike brands) than it can become an issue but still its more a biomechanical ROM issue and confort issue.

agressiveness on bike is a bit like training, more is better but just a bit too much is way worse than a bit to little. to me bike fit like training is to be taken in steps as body is adapting to it slowly.

The myth that you run faster of a tt bike than a road bike should fianally have been broken by Ali B this week.
    It is is 80 % marketing rubbish and maybe 20% truth.
    its much more bad fit versus good fit. right intnesity on bike vs wrong intensity of the bike and strenght

BennyMul wrote: »
    I would also suggest getting your position looked at, as Tunney said low is not always faster. A lot of folk do not have the flexibity or core strenght to hold the position for periods of time (not saying you fall into this bucket) and this results in movement in the body and ruins any aero gain you got from the bike.

how much time are you spending on the TT bike over the roadie?

INMO If you are "holding" a position or need increased flexibilty its the wrong position for you now.
    peter kern wrote: »
    that is correct in some terms what chris B says but its simply not true if biomechanic ROM rules are broken to achieve an agressive position. ( chris b dosnt have to run of the bike ;-)

what we see in long races is that a lot of people spend more time out of the aero position and that negates any gains of an more aero positon , and often leads to poor runs as they are too stiff in either lower back or hipp flexor. at the same time a lot of this can be balanced out with shorter cranks ( which are NOT faster but they can allow a better position certainly with hipp flexor issues)

while the body can adapt it can not adapt to wrong positions flexibility is hardly a limitor to bike position despite the fact we hear this all the time but if a bike has a very slack angle ( mostly european bike brands) than it can become an issue but still its more a biomechanical ROM issue and confort issue.

agressiveness on bike is a bit like training, more is better but just a bit too much is way worse than a bit to little. to me bike fit like training is to be taken in steps as body is adapting to it slowly.

The myth that you run faster of a tt bike than a road bike should fianally have been broken by Ali B this week.
    It is is 80 % marketing rubbish and maybe 20% truth.
    its much more bad fit versus good fit. right intnesity on bike vs wrong intensity of the bike and strenght

I hate agreeing with Peter.

Anyways I though point of a Tri bike over a road bike was to achieve the best aero position while maintaining angles similar to your road bike?
    Would that not be the optimal position at that moment in time but if they went for a more aero position it might cost time now but over the long term they might adapt to the position and be faster?

Or the overly aggressive position injuries them.

I would go for the best position for you now. And address and limiters off the bike. Sucking it up on the bike will just result in frustration and perpetuate the myth that tri/TT positions are uncomfortable. The wrong position for you is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Thanks for all the feedback lads....I have done a few tt's on both bikes during training and am slightly faster on the tt bike- I also have tt bars on my road bike and am very comfortable in the aero position on it, I have been doing alot of raising and lowering the saddle and the handlebars on the tt bike and have not yet found the perfect position...next course of action...get a professional fit on the tt bike (probably should have done this along time ago)...

to answer a few of the questions....
    I have aero bars on both road bike and tt bike and whereas I am comfortable down on the aero bars for over 70k on the road bike once I hit 50k on the tt bike my lower back starts aching.. again bike fitting needed...

Benny..the tt bike has been away for the winter but got it back out on the road towards end of March-- probably done around 600k on it so far, 110k being the longest cycle on it so far this season..

Now...can anyone recommend someone good to do a proper bike fit around the Limerick/newport/nenagh/killaloe area...
    I know Planet tri do it in Killaloe and Tribikes do it in Raheen in Limerick but i haven't heard anything good about either

Advertisement