Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection

Options
  • 29-04-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was astonished to get an email from an organisation called "turn2me" who claimed to have got my email address from boards.ie. I reproduce the email below and find it hard to believe that the Data Protection Commissioner allows a site like boards.ie to appear to breach the data protection laws by giving the private email of members of www.boards.ie.

Can someone at boards.ie clarify if they have discussed with the data protection commissioner whether its ok to hand over information about members of boards.ie to others for the specific purpose of third parties contacting those individuals.

Quite apart from the impertinence and incorrect assumptions in this appalling email, I have not, as yet, decided to pass on this email to the data protection commissioner and make a complaint, and I am astonished that a site like boards.ie seems to condone this sort of breach of privacy and hand over email details of members of boards.

"
    DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL Reply to or delete this message at: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php
    From: turn2me.org Subject: Help is Available Hi Ripleys Way, How are you? I'm a counselling psychologist and staff member at Turn2me, an online mental health oragnisation which you are more than welcome to visit (www.turn2me.org).I have been sent a link to your recent post about suicide methods because Turn2me has an understanding with Boards.ie that we will contact members of Boards at times when those members might be feeling very low and considering harming themselves. I hope this is okay with you. When people are suicidal - and asking about the least painful ways to take their own life - it is often because life itself (or certain things about it) has become so painful that ending things has become an option. Do you think this is the case for you right now? Could you tell me a little about what has led up to you beginning to see suicide as an option for option? However, in the same way that I'm guessing you have not felt suicidal all your life, it is possible to get support and help with some of your difficulties so that you feel less and less upset/low and more able to deal with things without feeling the need to harm yourself in any way. It can be hard to see outside of our present problems and this is where getting some help from someone else can be a really good idea.I'd really like the opportunity to hear from you so that we might discuss what/if any further support we could provide at this very difficult time in your life. Would you be willing to either message me here or send me an email at: <snip> ? I'd welcome the chance to check in with you just to see if I/we can help at all - maybe you could contact me either to arrange this or let me know you're okay?" I look forward to hearing from you if you'd be willing to give me a shout. All the best, Eoin (Turn2me) P.S: In the meantime, if you feel as though you are very close to harming yourself in any way, could you please contact your GP or go to your local A&E department at the hospital? I think this would be important to keep you safe.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This really needs a reply from the office rather than anyone here. Could you please e-mail them at hello@boards.ie. I'll let them know about this thread so that they'll be expecting your e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

You weren't sent an email, you were sent a Private Message which in turn sends you an email to notify you about it. At no stage does anyone except Boards.ie have access to your email address, it's merely an automated tool to make sure people are aware you have a Private Message.

Last year we gave Turn2Me.org their own account to get in touch with people who were quite clearly in a bad place mentally. Our mods will occasionally refer people to this account or they'll have seen something themselves that worried them. They are trained professionals who offer a better service than anyone on Boards could. Based on something you've posted they obviously felt that you might have needed help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement