Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 year-old man getting nagged about getting my hair cut.

• 29-04-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

How embarrassing.

I have relatively thick-ish dark brown hair. I'm 24 in a couple of months, and I like having my hair long (not shoulder length, just.. longer than a typical buzz cut or V-cut) it gives me more options to mess around with my hairgel. I like styling my hair in various different styles and I'm grateful for having this amount of hair!

However, at the back of it all, you won't believe the intervention-style nags I get from my mother and aunt - yes, AUNT - about getting a haircut.

My mum hits home when she tries to give me pointers about my style, and she won't hesitate to say what she thinks. I've had this said to me recently:

My hair makes me "look dirty", and "unclean". My mum, personally, hates long hair, she's obsessed with short hair on men because it makes them look tidier, and she applies this onto me. It's embarrassing and it's getting to a point where allegedly, according to my mum, people in the family are talking about my hair... As it's as if it has become a really bad emotional problem among everyone. I'm not messing, it felt like I was getting an intervention.

I was in the kitchen one morning, my ma was outside talking to my aunt, and all I heard at the end of it was "tell him to get that hair cut will ye?"

My hair is not as bad as they're making it out to be, trust me. I'm tempted to throw up a picture of my hair when it's gelled and when it's not. It's not even bad, like.

See, my cousin is the family pet, and he's into goin to the gym and having his hair cut into a fade, I'm not too much of the opposite, i do lift occasionally, but in terms of hair, it's in contrast. So, everyone see's my cousin's hair and compares it to mine and immediately thinks I should get it cut.

What the hell do I do to shut them up? I honestly feel like a little child when I know I shouldn't, it's so embarrassing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

Find a flaw in there style and nag them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pics please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

This is me a couple of years ago with the exact same style of hair as I have right now....

8692089321_16ccf5d169.jpg

This, is the hairstyle that my family are giving me interventions over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 xFidelityx

wow sexy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Move out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just throwing this out there but is everyone in your family, including your mother and Aunt bald? Because that my friend is not long hair at all! It's fine as it is. :confused:

I did, once... I still got the nags :mad: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sounds like you're 12 or something.

Time to move out.

Loughc wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there but is everyone in your family, including your mother and Aunt bald? Because that my friend is not long hair at all! It's fine as it is. :confused:

Almost spat my drink out reading that. ha! No, they try and put the mummy-just-cares-about-you play into it but I believe I'm way too old to be gettin' that now. And thanks, only you and my girlfriend think the same so far, including myself.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Sounds like you're 12 or something.

Time to move out.

And again, I'm 23... And I have moved out before, obviously I'm back here temporarily so I'm going to say I don't like the ignorance of your comment. If it was that simple for me to move out in the situation I'm currently in, trust me I'd be out...... I don't know why I just explained that to you.... But for the record it's none of your business where and how I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

gamercfc wrote: »
    A.

And again, I'm 23... And I have moved out before, obviously I'm back here temporarily so I'm going to say I don't like the ignorance of your comment. If it was that simple for me to move out in the situation I'm currently in, trust me I'd be out...... I don't know why I just explained that to you.... But for the record it's none of your business where and how I live.

Fair enough but If she stops your pocket money over this, it's definitely time to move out.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but If she stops your pocket money over this, it's definitely time to move out.

Pocket money? Okay pal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The haircut is not long, you look grand altogether. And it gives you loads of options. You could even go all Mad Men on it. :)
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FsrU7VLzrMQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFsrU7VLzrMQ

I say own it! every time they go on about it give it loads of uber-confidence and more of that Blue Steel!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I think your hair looks great i like a bit of length in a mans hair and i hate buzz cuts could you just tell your mother you have no intention of cutting it and all she is doing is annoying and upsetting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Shave the head completely and I bet they would beg you to grow it back to the way it is now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Here are images of men with long hair. What you have is definitely not long.

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-710&va=long+hair+on+men

If you can move out right now just ignore the comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

Victor wrote: »
    Move out. :)

hardly Constructive!:confused:

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd guess if "everyone" in your family is talking about it, it's your mother bringing it up with them all.

They're probably sick of listening to her too.

Next time she starts tell her it's your hair - and if she mentions it once more you will consider dying it pink, or green.

(But then if she does mention it, you might actually have to dye it pink, or green! - I'm a mammy, if you threaten something you have to follow through :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why the need to be a dick? :confused:

OP I would take the advice that someone else gave. Pick out something about her style and nag her constantly about her. See how she likes it.

Advertisement