Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Carlow Town?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Went to college a few years ago in Carlow Town and a few of us are heading back down there Sunday night (Bank Holiday Sunday). Looking for somewhere nice to eat. Any recommendations? Somewhere nice to sit down, few bottles of wine and have a chat to get the night started.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Weeping Thaiger near the castle is lovely, if you like Thai food.

Mimosa Wine & Tapas Bar is popular, but I haven't been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Brasserie 15 on Tullow Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lemongrass is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Mimosa is fantastic, sometimes you can't book though and it's very popular. Brasserie 55 is just around the corner and is getting the thumbs up all around. Lennons at visual is also a great place, very unique.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't think Lennons would be open on Sunday nights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I don't think Lennons would be open on Sunday nights?

Even a Bank holiday sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Brasserie 15 is the best place in town right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

had an early bird in brasserie 15 a few weeks ago and wasn't overly impressed with it, portions were on the small side and was lacking a little bit on the flavor side.

I always find it hard to beat brooks for good consistent grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Brasserie 15 is the greatest food I have ever tasted.

The duck is amazing.
    The steaks are amazing.
    The chicken comes with mushrooms, I don't like mushrooms, but it was still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Id say either the lemongrass or pompeii. Is pompeii still open actually? i really liked that place, havent been in a while though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any Italians? Or somewhere to get a decent pasta dishes? I couldn't find out anything food wise when I visited the other day so we just went into the Dinn Ri, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Italian Connection is across the road from the Dinn Ri car park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Super-Rush wrote: »

Ah yes, I saw that but I think they are in Kilkenny and I have had my food served cold three times (there different visits) in the Kilkenny one so I avoided it in Carlow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you didn't order gazpacho soup did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sully wrote: »
    Ah yes, I saw that but I think they are in Kilkenny and I have had my food served cold three times (there different visits) in the Kilkenny one so I avoided it in Carlow.

There used to be one beside the Tullow st entrance to Superquinn and one at the back of Leverett and Frye. I'm not sure if the one at the back of L&F is still open.

you didn't order gazpacho soup did you?

Lasagane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

Caffe formenti will be open Friday and Saturday nights from now on. (not open on Sunday though)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you want something more informal the Teach Dolmain on Tullow Street has top notch grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Super-Rush wrote: »

Italian Connection pulled out of there 2 years ago.

Quo Vadis are there instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056174110

[Edit]
    Oops, I see from IC's FB page that they have reopened this location as Italian Connection since Aug last year.
    [/Edit]

Brooks is a nice spot with decent food. In the good times it would be packed on a B/H Sunday but I doubt that's the case any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Real Life wrote: »
    Id say either the lemongrass or pompeii. Is pompeii still open actually? i really liked that place, havent been in a while though

Pompeii is open and still does a great trade . I was there myself about two weeks ago .
    The Weeping Thaiger and Joes Chinese are both very popular too and how about a pint beforehand in Deanoz bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Brooks is a nice spot with decent food. In the good times it would be packed on a B/H Sunday but I doubt that's the case any more.

Just ate here tonight. Good food, decent portions, friendly staff and good atmosphere despite there was a large hen party (albeit shoved off to one side of the bar) there too.

We had a look at Brasserie 15's menu and wasn't really impressed with the variety. There seemed to be a great crowd in there which is probably a good reflection of the quality of their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

ottostreet wrote: »
    Brasserie 15 on Tullow Street.

Ate in Brasserie 15 last night. Was ok. Staff are awful, food was great at times. Starters amazing. Then started getting busier and staff became panicked. Had burger for mains and came out without dressing, sent it back and they just lobbed dressing in it, other burgers looked great with melted cheese mine had cheese just thrown under the burger. Other three with me enjoyed their mains. We then had half our table cleared off and waited 15 mins for dessert menus. Desserts where average at best, the brownie was shocking bad. Overall I think the starters where great and if it wasnt busy I think the food would be amazing but when they got busy the place just fell apart. Other people around waited for ages for chips with their steak and drinks orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 curious carlovian

The Gastro on Tullow Street serves mouth watering meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The Gastro on Tullow Street serves mouth watering meals.

I was there not too long after they opened and can't say I was that impressed. Things could verily easily improved since then.

I ate there about two months ago. I had the lamb and it was cooked so tenderly. The staff were very friendly too. I think sometimes even in your favorite restaurant you can catch them on a bad night, might be worth a try again to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

Mimosa every time! Love the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

kat.mac wrote: »
    Mimosa every time! Love the place
    The Golden Grill for the liver and onions and chips and mushy peas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I ate there about two months ago. I had the lamb and it was cooked so tenderly. The staff were very friendly too. I think sometimes even in your favorite restaurant you can catch them on a bad night, might be worth a try again to see!

I must have been there the same day as Morf so. Fish was great but everything else was just ok. I did not consider it good value at all but I'm definitely open to trying it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Joe's is great for a Chinese :)

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I must have been there the same day as Morf so. Fish was great but everything else was just ok. I did not consider it good value at all but I'm definitely open to trying it again soon.

I was there on one of the special offer nights they run, I could have been just lucky that night I might have to try again to see, But the Minosa Bar is a lovely spot too!

Advertisement