Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe loosing wool

Options
  • 29-04-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,
    I have a ewe that is loosing her wool and she is not is great form. She lambed triplets about 3 weeks ago and was very sick after it. She was very weak and could bearly stand up for a couple of days. Finally she came round. However during one night she lay on two of her lambs and killed them. They were trying to suckle while she was down. So recently, in the last few days she has started to shed her wool.
    Would this be some sort of reaction to her bad lambing experience. The rest of the flock are fine and dont show any signs of sheep scab and I inject them every September for scab.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Vendeen wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a ewe that is loosing her wool and she is not is great form. She lambed triplets about 3 weeks ago and was very sick after it. She was very weak and could bearly stand up for a couple of days. Finally she came round. However during one night she lay on two of her lambs and killed them. They were trying to suckle while she was down. So recently, in the last few days she has started to shed her wool.
    Would this be some sort of reaction to her bad lambing experience. The rest of the flock are fine and dont show any signs of sheep scab and I inject them every September for scab.
    Thanks for any advice.

I know anytime our sheep lose their wool or it gets thin and weak its due to a major loss of condition....usually a lack of food...so its probably just a reaction to the lambing and if you feed her well she will bounce back in time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sheep often lose their wool after a major sickness. The wool that grows during the illness is weak/narrower than normal and if falls out/breaks off once it has risen above the skin level.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vendeen

solerina wrote: »
    I know anytime our sheep lose their wool or it gets thin and weak its due to a major loss of condition....usually a lack of food...so its probably just a reaction to the lambing and if you feed her well she will bounce back in time.

Many thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vendeen

greysides wrote: »
    Sheep often lose their wool after a major sickness. The wool that grows during the illness is weak/narrower than normal and if falls out/breaks off once it has risen above the skin level.

Thanks for reply

Advertisement