Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap pints in cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

grenache wrote: »
    That's a disgrace. A quality ale produced by a Cork based company and supporting local jobs, replaced by mass produced yellow fizz that falsely claims to be Canadian.

The Sextant has sold its soul to Molson Coors. Shame on them.

Molson Coors also bought out the franciscan well brewery. They will be opening a large scale brewery in Cork to mass produce rebel red etc as well as Coors and Molson.

tbf It isn't falsely claiming it is Canadian. I tried it when I lived in Toronto. absolute ****e though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

crockholm wrote: »
    Bradleys on Barrack St. were always known as the cheapest pint in Ireland, used to scoff Beamish there till the cows came home,hope it's still open. If not,surely some other pub on the street took up it's mantle.

That was in it's previous incarnation as a rough-and-ready gaff with a 99% male working class clientele who stopped talking and gave you the evil eye (assuming you weren't a local) when you walked in the door. Now it's been gentrified and has a more diverse clientele - prices have risen accordingly.

As far as I recall, The Brog always had the cheapest pints in the city centre but don't know if that is still the case. Quirkies in Ballyphehane often has pints for €3 during televised soccer/rugby/GAA matches. In general, "Old Men" pubs in the working class suburbs are where you will get the cheapest pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

byronbay2 wrote: »
    That was in it's previous incarnation as a rough-and-ready gaff with a 99% male working class clientele who stopped talking and gave you the evil eye (assuming you weren't a local) when you walked in the door. Now it's been gentrified and has a more diverse clientele - prices have risen accordingly.

As far as I recall, The Brog always had the cheapest pints in the city centre but don't know if that is still the case. Quirkies in Ballyphehane often has pints for €3 during televised soccer/rugby/GAA matches. In general, "Old Men" pubs in the working class suburbs are where you will get the cheapest pints.

The Brogs is €5:10 after 11 now. Quirkies is known for drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Being a student I get the pint of Fosters for €2.50 in door 51 which cant be bate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

What do you drink?

You'll get the most perfect Beamish of your life in An Bodhran for not much more than 4 euro.

That's incredibly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The sportsmans do 4 pints of fosters for 10 quid.the bishopstown bar have 2r3 beers on Tap for 3 euro.also the friars walk tavern do 3 pints of any thing for a tenner but it's only now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Molson Coors also bought out the franciscan well brewery. They will be opening a large scale brewery in Cork to mass produce rebel red etc as well as Coors and Molson.

tbf It isn't falsely claiming it is Canadian. I tried it when I lived in Toronto. absolute ****e though :D
    The Molson we get here is brewed in Burton Upon Trent in Staffordshire. It's no more Canadian than me or you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

grenache wrote: »
    The Molson we get here is brewed in Burton Upon Trent in Staffordshire. It's no more Canadian than me or you.

and the Heineken we get here is brewed in blackpool and they still call it Dutch :D

I'm pretty sure nationality of Beers are based on where they were first brewed rather than where it is brewed for international markets. You'd still call Guiness Irish even though most of it's produce is brewed abroad. Ain't cost effective to ship it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

and the Heineken we get here is brewed in blackpool and they still call it Dutch :D

I'm pretty sure nationality of Beers are based on where they were first brewed rather than where it is brewed for international markets. You'd still call Guiness Irish even though most of it's produce is brewed abroad. Ain't cost effective to ship it.
    I'm aware of the cost efficiencies, but i still don't think you can say all Heineken is Dutch or all Molson is Canadian. Ditto for Carlsberg, Budweiser and the rest. In Ireland, there are two Heinekens - the pissy weak one brewed at Ladys Well in Blackpool (with Irish water, Irish barley and Irish hops) and the proper 5% one from Amsterdam that some places stock. The Molson that's brewed in England might claim to be Canadian, but at 4%, it's 1% weaker than the real stuff brewed in New Brunswick. Sure a Canadian-American conglomerate own it and pretend its Canadian, but it's not really. Not the stuff we get here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Must be three types of hieneken available so. Only types I have seen are the 4.3% Irish one and the noticeably weaker 3.4% rubbish they make in the UK. Some shops stock that and sell it cheaper than places selling the Irish one. Never noticed the dutch one sold here but then again I don't drink hieneken unless I have to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement