Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Problems

Options
  • 29-04-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been using a 21'' monitor to play Xbox.

A while ago the monitor seemed to stop working with the PC. Bare in mind the PC is probably near 8 years old and the monitor wouldn't be far behind that.

So the monitor stopped working with the PC I thought it might of been the graphics card or something PC related. The power wasn't registering with the monitor when the cable for the PC was plugged in. But it was working perfectly find when the Xbox wire wa/s plugged in.

So last night I was playing Xbox and it just went black. But the green light was still on. So I turned the Xbox off and back on again and it was fine for about 20 minutes then it went again.

Now it just seems to turn on long enough for me to see the Xbox logo coming up and then it just goes black.

I tried to see was it the black light gone after reading a post on this before, but it seems that when I shine a light in it it's still pitch black with the green power light on.

I was then thinking is it possibly fried?

Apologies for the long post.

All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

were you plugging in and out the connectors for PC and xbox, or were they permanently connected to their own ports? The connections could be damaged or the control board could be damaged.

How old is the monitor? They do have a shelf life of around 60,000 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ScumLord wrote: »
    were you plugging in and out the connectors for PC and xbox, or were they permanently connected to their own ports? The connections could be damaged or the control board could be damaged.

How old is the monitor? They do have a shelf life of around 60,000 hours.

I was plugging in and out. So if I was on PC I'd then unplug that cable and plug in the Xbox cable. I'd say the Monitor is easily around 8 years old

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like your issues could be caused by Capacitor Plague. It's a cheap & handy fix if your good at soldering generally speaking, worth opening it up and checking the power supply if it's out of warranty though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Plugging in and out live VGA connectors probably isnt the best plan.

Advertisement