Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog very aggressive to visitors

• 29-04-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

I have two JRTs and a collie.
    The JRTs are nephew/uncle, one 15yrs old, the other 2yrs old.
    Both neutered, the best of friends - the elderly dog is top dog, and the younger dog has no problem with this.

The younger dog is not as bright as his uncle, acts a bit nervous/timid when something new/potentially scary is going on (e.g. daughters teddy collection put on a chair in the hall = scary!!). He is also very 'vocal' -lots of 'grumbling' - vocalising not growling. If when out walking another dog approaches (we live in the country, this doesnt happen very often) he will lie on the ground waiting, and then rush at the dog. He will be growling constantly while sniffing the new comer, with his tail bending madly to 1 side. (I usually put him on the leash the minute I see another dog coming so this isnt the issue)

THe issue is, when a friend comes to the house with another dog, my dog goes nuts - CONSTANT growling (and I mean constant) - not attacking or biting or snapping, just 'shouldering' the bewildered visitor and growling.
    I think its partially to get the visitor away from the elderly dog (protection?) and protecting his turf against a new dog, but its just so anti-social, and Im afraid that the visitor will react and there will be trouble. My elderly dog, just says hello to the visitor and potters about.

Last night a young lurcher arrived, that my dogs sort of know. My dog was a total nuisance. We made no fuss of the visitor, made a fuss of our dog, and just tried to calm him saying 'no' and stroking. No use. Put him in another room, and brought him back, again no use. Tried this several times. (The odd thing was, that when the two young dogs went out into the garden, they had great fun chasing all over but the minute they came back into the house, the growling/shouldering started all over again) oh, i might add, that after a few hours of this my dog started trying to mount the other dog repeatedly.

He's a super little lovable dog in every other way.
    Any insights/suggestions into this behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

Your JRT is being territorial when another dog is coming into HIS home.If anyone is visiting you with a dog,try to meet outside away from the house with the JRT and maybe go for a quick walk,to get him used to the other dog.Not practical all the time I know,but this definitely helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Just one thing to consider. You're saying 'no' to your dog and stroking him, so whilst you understand the English language, he's hearing a word, and then getting attention from you, so he thinks you're praising what he's doing, which is growling. If you say no, just say it, and don't give him any further attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ISDW wrote: »
    Just one thing to consider. You're saying 'no' to your dog and stroking him, so whilst you understand the English language, he's hearing a word, and then getting attention from you, so he thinks you're praising what he's doing, which is growling. If you say no, just say it, and don't give him any further attention.

sorry, wasnt clear: We would say NO to him (endlessly!) and push him away from the lurcher/visitor. Other times (this visit went on for a couple of hours!) we would try stoking him, to let him know that he didnt have to keep protecting us/his house/the old dog. All to no avail..

I appreciate the dog is trying to protect his territory against the visitor.
    But if anyone has any suggestions on how to MANAGE this behaviour - saying NO! ISDW (thanks for your reply) just didnt work. Actually when the visitor arrived (kukey) we did stay out on the drive with the owner and the dogs for about 10 mins while my dog was being obnoxious to the visitor and running around the front garden playing with him. He walks weekly with 2 terrier bitches and loves them, but if they come into the house the growling/shouldering starts up.

Hes definately not an Alpha-dog type personality, so this is I think, him reacting in a worried way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you have another doggy visitor, leave a lead on your own dog, when he starts growling, don't say a word, just take the lead (it just makes it easy to control him) and put him out of the room for a short while - about 30 seconds. If he's quiet, bring him back in, however, if he carries out barking, growling while out of the room, leave him. But stand by the door, so the second he's quiet, bring him back in. If he starts growling again, put him back out. All this without talking to him. it may take a while, but it usually works very quickly.

Advertisement