Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Outdoor POE night vision security camera options

• 29-04-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I am looking into fitting a POE camera or two for the house. Ideally I'd like to get a decentralised POE IP camera so if I have to upgrade it in future I can just use another POE camera without having to change anything else. I have a server that I can install another virtual machine on with any software required and I have a 2 bay nas for the recorded video.

I've seen some video at 640*480 and unless the person being filmed is pretty close you would have no hope of identifying them, there just isnt enough resolution so I guess a minimum of 720p should be a requirement. I am still trying to figure out how high it should be fitted and how to get a cable to it..... I have seen some connectors on POE cameras and they are massive! I'd have to drill a 3cm diameter hole to get it into the house. When the cable comes out of the middle of the mounting plate it really does not give you any choice so I think the possibility of having the cable going into one side of a IP67 box and my network cable going in the other side might be an idea.

I've looked on ebay and there are lots of Hong Kong/Chinese sellers and I have worries about their quality/workmanship and considering these are outdoors any manufacturing defects = dead camera. Of the online stores here in the UK many are reselling the Chinese gear! ... I know there are expensive brands like panasonic etc, I am looking for ease of use, weatherproofing and picture quality. I would hope to spend less than 150 pounds/200 euros a pop, I might get up to 200 pounds if that is where the quality is. Anyone know of a motion detecting camera that fits the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Here's a good camera for your budget. It's available over here under different names, ic real time, qvis, dahua etc etc.
    On budget cameras you are going to get a chunky fly lead. Only cameras I used that have an internal rj45 plug were Honeywell ones and they were expensive

Advertisement