Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax - old person, how to pay?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I've a granduncle who cannot pay online. He's old and all he gets on the helpline are menus after menus of options and pre-recorded crap.

Is there anywhere that he can go in and pay cash?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would imagine he could pay at the council offices...

I'd call them and ask. Another alternative might be to ask at the bank/Post Office. They might be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I've a granduncle who cannot pay online. He's old and all he gets on the helpline are menus after menus of options and pre-recorded crap.

Is there anywhere that he can go in and pay cash?
    Could you maybe do the online payment for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Phoebas wrote: »

From the sounds of it, the great-uncle isn't au fait with the process of online payments. Older people do like to deal in cash, and they should be facilitated. Not everyone is able to or wants to do stuff online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

From the sounds of it, the great-uncle isn't au fait with the process of online payments. Older people do like to deal in cash, and they should be facilitated. Not everyone is able to or wants to do stuff online.
    Id say they could pay cash in a Revenue public office.
    But it might just be a lot easier to give the money to a family member and have them do it online on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DR GOODMAN

You can pay it in cash at the post office, bank or any shop that does
    PayZone/billpay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Or if his only income is his pension, he can just defer the payment. That's what I'd advice any older person to do. Keep the cash and let whoever inherits the house deal with the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Don't let him pay weekly at the Post Office - it will cost him a €1 each time. He can pay it all in one go though . see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/paying-property-tax-weekly-could-cost-you-58-more.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Id say they could pay cash in a Revenue public office.
    But it might just be a lot easier to give the money to a family member and have them do it online on their behalf.

Oh that it would be so simple!!! He's a bit stubborn and likes to do everything himself... Including deciding the value of his house, which has been over-valued by about 40% but no, he is GOING to pay that. *sigh*

Thanks for the answers, I'll send him in to the post office.

Advertisement