Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus gauges

• 29-04-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

The gauges on my 2007 1.4L petrol ford focus are acting up on me. The petrol, temp, rev counter and speedo are all reading mad high. For example when at a stop the speedo says I'm doing 60 kph.

Any ideas of what's up and how much it'll cost to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It could be the dash cluster itself which I believe is €350+ from Ford. Or could be a wiring issue behind the dash.

My OH has a 1.4 Focus and the speedometer doesn't work. The revs work fine and the odometer is, at best, sporadic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Zcott wrote: »
    It could be the dash cluster itself which I believe is €350+ from Ford. Or could be a wiring issue behind the dash.

My OH has a 1.4 Focus and the speedometer doesn't work. The revs work fine and the odometer is, at best, sporadic.

€350!! Oh great!! I wonder if a second hand one can be installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I have seen plenty of faulty Focus clusters but never that exact fault.

You don't have to buy a new one, they can be repaired. This is the guy that we use:

www.kcsystems.ie

Zcott wrote: »

What year is it?

I have seen plenty of faulty Focus clusters but never that exact fault.

You don't have to buy a new one, they can be repaired. This is the guy that we use:

www.kcsystems.ie

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to just get one from a scrapped car and put it in?

• Advertisement

Not on the Mk2 Focus no. It is possible with the older model.

Would you be able to hazard a guess at how much I'd be looking at to get this repaired by an indi garage?

On average any that we get repaired it usually costs the customer around €200 all in including removal, refitting, repair, courier etc. We never know the cost for sure though until Donal in KC Systems gets them taken apart and knows what the problem is.

On average any that we get repaired it usually costs the customer around €200 all in including removal, refitting, repair, courier etc. We never know the cost for sure though until Donal in KC Systems gets them taken apart and knows what the problem is.

Thanks a million George. Really appreciate all the info and help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What year is it?

99 1.4. I don't think it's an NCT fail so I doubt it'll get fixed.

• Advertisement

The problem is more than likely the speed sensor in the gearbox. They are around €40 from Ford.

Just to update this.

I called into my local garage and the mechanic said he would try just disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset the system. Sure enough all the gauges went back to normal and are working fine now!!

Better still, it didn't cost me a cent!!

Happy days all round!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

TheBody wrote: »
    Just to update this.

I called into my local garage and the mechanic said he would try just disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset the system. Sure enough all the gauges went back to normal and are working fine now!!

Better still, it didn't cost me a cent!!

Happy days all round!!

Hi - just curious, how has your car been since then? Same thing seems to be happening my 2003 Ford Focus. A mate of mine suggested it could be a bad earth? Tempted to give the battery disconnect a try, just to see.

laoisfan wrote: »
    Hi - just curious, how has your car been since then? Same thing seems to be happening my 2003 Ford Focus. A mate of mine suggested it could be a bad earth? Tempted to give the battery disconnect a try, just to see.

Been working perfect since. Definitely give it a try. You have nothing to lose!! Let us know how you get on.

Been working perfect since. Definitely give it a try. You have nothing to lose!! Let us know how you get on.

Yeah think I will give it a go, just have to make sure I have my radio code beforehand ( I love my radio :D ).

I rang the Part's Shop in Downey's Portlaoise ( Ford Dealer ) and they said it would cost me €475 all in, new cluster, reprogramming & labour to remove old one, install the new one. Feck. That's a bit oirish!! The chap said it was a known problem to which I replied....if it's known problem then it shouldn't cost €475 to fix. He laughed ( I know him....funny fecker :) ).

Right.......battery.....will let ye know.

laoisfan wrote: »
    Yeah think I will give it a go, just have to make sure I have my radio code beforehand ( I love my radio :D ).

I rang the Part's Shop in Downey's Portlaoise ( Ford Dealer ) and they said it would cost me €475 all in, new cluster, reprogramming & labour to remove old one, install the new one. Feck. That's a bit oirish!! The chap said it was a known problem to which I replied....if it's known problem then it shouldn't cost €475 to fix. He laughed ( I know him....funny fecker :) ).

Right.......battery.....will let ye know.

Hi there,

Just wondering how you got on? Did disconnecting the battery leads work?

Hi there,

Just wondering how you got on? Did disconnecting the battery leads work?

Yo - did not do it yet...it's been fine mostly since I last posted...but speak of the devil...there was no life in the cluster this morning. If I indicated, opened doors/boot or put handbrake on the relevent cluster light lit up. But nothing from the rev counter, speedometer or petrol gauge. Had to drive 30 minutes to the train station, thankfully nobody behind me so I could go a wee bit slower than usual.

Thankfully my radio code is written down in the Ford manual so I might give it ago this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Hi Laoisfan, wondering if removing the battery fixed this for you as I've the same issue..

I removed the cluster, cleaned it and it worked for a couple of months but the last cleaning did not fix anything. Now thinking of removing the battery.

Hi pickled101 - Yeah tried it. Issue disappeared for the most part since then, only happened 1-2 since then.

Will give it a shot, have a bloody nct and expect to fail without a working cluster..

• Advertisement

Disconnecting the battery did not fix this for me.

So I removed the cluster and sprayed it with wd40, used a soft toothbrush and cloth to clean the green electronic board as it did have several rust type marks on some parts of the board.

Left it to dry overnight and hey presto I have a working speedo again :-)

Logged on to NCT and brought my test forward to the earliest date I could get.

It's been working four days now and the test is tmrw....

still working :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

It's indeed possible. I've done it with my own car :) €50 for a used cluster and some programming with the laptop. The only requirement is to make sure you have 2 working keys beforehand.

shietpilot wrote: »
    It's indeed possible. I've done it with my own car :) €50 for a used cluster and some programming with the laptop. The only requirement is to make sure you have 2 working keys beforehand.

The poster asked if it was possible to "just get a used cluster and put it in" In other words they were asking was it plug and play like the older Focus.

The answer to that question is still no, just as it was in 2013 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The poster asked if it was possible to "just get a used cluster and put it in" In other words they were asking was it plug and play like the older Focus.

The answer to that question is still no, just as it was in 2013 :)

Ah, I didn't even notice it was a bumped thread :eek: True, just throwing one in from a scrapyard won't work.

Advertisement