Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30+ folk. Making the move? How did you get started?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's experiences are here when it came to moving abroad. I imagine a lot moved for work reasons, others for lifestyle reasons. Some for both.
    I lived abroad in my early 20s for a while, but at the time, did not care what I did, or how it worked out. (maaaan). I have put off moving away the last few years, and am going to do it in the next year, probably to continental Europe. I speak French and Italian, but wouldn't rule out Germany or Scandinavia or even the UK, closer to home.

However, this time, I am being far more fussy about things.

I know I could apply for jobs from Ireland, which is more than likely what I will do.

Interested to hear people's timelines etc. Did you think about job first, or location first, and then job? Did you give yourself a deadline for moving, or just play it by ear? Would you change location from where you are now? If so, why? Or are you in a place where you had not originally intended to be, but it worked out really good in the end?

If you were going out with someone, did they go with you, or did you have to end things? (Don't have to answer this, but I'm sure it's an issue for people who have been thinking about going away....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭scobysnacks

I am wondering what you decided to do?

I moved to Latin America for love. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I haven't been able to find a professional job, and the city were I live is a concrete jungle and very violent. The constant living in fear, cost of living and lack of opportunities for foreigners is really depressing me.

I keep dreaming about making the break and moving back to Europe, but I'm in my mid 30's and have been out of work for almost three years. I am scared that I won't be able to find even an unskilled job.

Ireland is out of the question due to the job situation. I was thinking of the Netherlands, but I'm not sure what the job scene is like there for non Dutch speakers (with a large gap in my CV) at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I am wondering what you decided to do?

I moved to Brazil just over two years ago for love. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I haven't been able to find a professional job, and the city were I live is a concrete jungle and very violent. The constant living in fear, cost of living and lack of opportunities for foreigners is really depressing me.

I keep dreaming about making the break and moving back to Europe, but I'm in my mid 30's and have been out of work for almost three years. I am scared that I won't be able to find even an unskilled job.

Ireland is out of the question due to the job situation. I was thinking of the Netherlands, but I'm not sure what the job scene is like there for non Dutch speakers (with a large gap in my CV) at the moment.
    I'm in a similar situation.
    Also in Latin America and still coping with the culture shock after over 3 years.
    Sick of the bars on the windows, the virtual self imposed night time curfew, the petty thefts, not being able to park your car in the street after dark,the bloody images every morning in the local paper.
    I'm heading home in a month or two, and that my travelling days over.
    Will probably not get welfare due to being away for so long, but will try and hit the ground running.
    I'll work for minimum wage or go self employed if need be.
    At least I have contacts and a circle of friends and family to help me out initially.
    Fed up eeking out a lonely existence in foreign lands, and I don't want to be abroad when family members take ill (already been absent for too many funerals)

How are you not working 3 years?
    There's huge demand for native english teachers all over Latin America.
    Money's crap, but at least it pays your day to day living.
    Why don't you just go back to Ireland, and make a crack there?
    I'm in my mid 40's.

I'm in the same situation. I just can't adapt. The prison like buildings and security everywhere is really frightening.

I have been teaching English, working around the clock, but as you said the money is crap. It's is so expensive, so I can't save a cent.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I'm in the same situation. I just can't adapt. The prison like buildings and security everywhere is really frightening.

I have been teaching English, working around the clock, but as you said the money is crap. Brazil is so expensive, so I can't save a cent.

Where are you based?
    P.Med you my location.
    Yes, you'd have to work and save for a year just to pay for the flights home.
    Can't say it's very expensive here, it's quite cheap actually.
    Ireland is not at all bad, once you've seen other countries.
    The quality of life is so much better, and anyone thinking of emigrating should factor this key point into their decision.
    Particularly those with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I haven't decided anything yet, but will be going abroad. That's my plan. My obvious options are UK, or the EU. I won't be any more adventurous at this stage. I'm at a stage where I'd like to get a good job, save some money, and maybe meet someone along the way!

• Advertisement

Northwestern made an interesting and very valid. Sometimes you have to leave Ireland to get perspective. Apart from the weather and the junkies, it's really not a bad place to live. Try a developing country and then you'll really know what a kip is.

I think somewhere in northern mainland Europe is a good option. It's still close to get back in the case of an emergency and also has an excellent quality of life. Though moving to somewhere like Germany or The Netherlands, I would have thought that one needed the local language in order to obtain a professional job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I lived in Italy and France before, and spent some time in Belgium too. But it was 10 years ago, so I suppose things are different when it comes to moving abroad again.

Advertisement