Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build in Mulhuddart ?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭

Hope it hasn't been asked yet but the new build next to the topaz in Mulhuddart ( on grounds of old school I think ). Anybody know what's bound for here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for that. She'll be happy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Anyone know when Aldi will open here?
    Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not exactly sure when it will open but it looks nearly ready. I'd say late August at the latest.

Be nice if they employed a few locals. Anyone know are they staffed already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Be nice if they employed a few locals. Anyone know are they staffed already?

One way to find out

http://www.careers.aldirecruitment.ie/new-store-openings/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Be nice if they employed a few locals.
    They'll almost certainly recruit people living locally for the store assistant positions....if that's what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

collegeme wrote: »
    Anyone know when Aldi will open here?
    Can't wait!
    was thinking the same, earlier on. looking forward to it opening

dodzy wrote: »
    Hope it hasn't been asked yet but the new build next to the topaz in Mulhuddart ( on grounds of old school I think ). Anybody know what's bound for here ?

Mystery solved.

1 x fishing tackle store
    1 x nic-nac shop

Oh, and word on the street is that Tesco Express close when Aldi opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wouldn't think Tesco will roll over that easily.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »

I heard that rumour too. I don't think it's specifically linked to Aldi opening but that their lease is up and they just aren't going to renew. Maybe it has been a profitable store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I heard that rumour too. I don't think it's specifically linked to Aldi opening but that their lease is up and they just aren't going to renew. Maybe it has been a profitable store?

The Tesco in Mulhuddart I find is crap ... No offers any time I was in it and a very small store (I know its an express but its still tiny)

I dont use it anymore I go to Clonee and use the Aldi and Lidl that are across the road from each other

I cant wait for the Aldi to open in Mulhuddart it will be so handy

Yeah Tesco seem to have had a hard time of it when it flood that time, their whole store was flooded.
    Aldi will blow it out of the water, it was a crap Tesco anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Was talking to one of the staff in Tesco the other day, it seems they are closing in the next week or 2.

A shame, as they carried a bigger range of stock than Spar.

The problem I forsee with Aldi is that it will be very busy, and hence no good for a quick trip for bread/milk, etc. (granted I'm basing this on Lidl experience, they could do with some self service/express checkouts).

January wrote: »
    Generally speaking I would agree. But that express is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

timbel wrote: »
    Was talking to one of the staff in Tesco the other day, it seems they are closing in the next week or 2.

A shame, as they carried a bigger range of stock than Spar.

The problem I forsee with Aldi is that it will be very busy, and hence no good for a quick trip for bread/milk, etc. (granted I'm basing this on Lidl experience, they could do with some self service/express checkouts).

Aldi or Lidl model isn't designed for self service . Their trained cashiers would scan items and process payment way quicker then a customer. In fact, I only noticed recently that they've notices asking customers not to pack/bag their shopping at the checkout but at the ledge at the window in front of tills after they've paid. This is to shorten the turnaround time of each customer at the till so queues move faster.

Also they don't offer baskets as they don't want bread and milk only customers as they don't make profits that way. They have trolleys only (to encourage people to fill them) so express tills wouldn't work either. The reason their prices are so low is due to these types of no frills policies.

You'll have to go to Superquinn for the perks...and of course pay the excess cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

ongarboy wrote: »
    Also they don't offer baskets as they don't want bread and milk only customers as they don't make profits that way.

This isn't accurate any more, Lidl have had baskets for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Polar101 wrote: »
    This isn't accurate any more, Lidl have had baskets for quite a while now.

Thanks for clarifying - I hadn't been to Lidl in a while since Aldi opened in Clonee. I find Aldi's food offering to be better/tastier etc.

Surprised to hear of Tesco Express closing in Mulhuddart or anywhere for that matter - thought they were goldmines wherever they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

ongarboy wrote: »

Surprised to hear of Tesco Express closing in Mulhuddart or anywhere for that matter - thought they were goldmines wherever they opened.

A normal sized Tesco or an extra store could compete with Aldi or Lidl, but an express, not a chance.

Realistically, where would you shop?

Tesco express will close Sunday week.

• Advertisement

According to Aldi's website, the new store will open on Thursday 12 September.

Advertisement