Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard spotted

• 29-04-2013 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

I spotted what looked like a small lizard on the Bray Head walk today. Just wondering how normal this? I was surprised to see one here I didn't know they were that common in Ireland in the wild

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They're lovely little things, aren't they? A nice thing to see out on your walk!
    They seem to really like coastal areas, and definitely somewhere to bask safely in the sun... they must be finding this year hard with the late start. I've met them reasonably frequently in sand dunes on the east coast.
    They're reasonably common around the country, but not often seen as they're so small and secretive. They give birth to live young, as opposed to eggs (latin name is Lacerta vivipara, viviparous means "live-bearing"), and can drop their tail to evade predators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plenty of them around in Wicklow, and not only in dry sunny spots. I've disturbed a few of them out in the depths of the Wicklow Mountains in the dampest, soggiest spots you can imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Found quite a large green frog in my garden on Saturday. No water courses in close proximity. Its amazing that he has made residence. Afraid to cut the grass now.

we have them living in our shed in Wexford. We are just at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

The RTE series 'Living the Wildlife' had a piece on lizards in the most recent series. I think it was out along howth head they were filming them.

You might still be able to catch in the RTE player

• Advertisement
Advertisement