Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

• 29-04-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello, I'm really interested in doing medicine, I've picked biology and chemistry for leaving cert and I am going into fifth year this year. I got 4as and 6bs in the jc all higher. Does any one have any tips for me or think those results are too low to study medicine? I've also started to practise the h-pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Hi I'm in first your medicine now and I'd really recommend it :)
    First of all make sure your happy with your subject choices, that's really important in order to maximise your points. Don't stress yourself out trying to do all higher level subjects if you don't have as much of an aptitude for say maths/Irish etc. I only did 6 last year and it worked out fine. It's really important that you start working properly in Fifth Year. I'm not saying that you should spend all of your time studying, but always make sure you do your homework thoroughly and study for all of your class tests, and then do maybe a few hours study at the weekend. Biology and Chemistry take up a lot of time so I would really advise you to study these subjects properly in Fifth Year, it will make your life a lot easier when Sixth Year comes along!
    As regards the HPAT, it's not certain that it will even be around by the time you do your Leaving Cert so maybe don't spend too much time practicing for it in Fifth Year, but it is a very difficult exam so getting a head start would be time well spent if it is still around in 2015.
    I've known people who have gotten 3/4 A's in the Junior Cert and they have gone on to get 550+ in the Leaving Cert with a lot of dedication, so there's no reason you couldn't get the points if you put the head down and study really hard. That's about all I can think of at the moment. I hope that helped you and if you have any more questions about Medicine/Leaving Cert feel free to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rosetiarna

thank you so much that really helped! :) what college are you studying in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Hi, Rosetiarna
    I'm in the same boat, going for medicine in 2015. I'm debating buying some HPAT resources to use during fifth year but don't think I can really justify buying them until the future of the HPAT is clarified. The way my school's timetable is structured leaves me with a few study classes a week that I hope to use HPAT/UKCAT prep and general study/homework. When is the HPAT's future going to be clarified anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There's a huge ongoing discussion about HPAT etc. here. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement