Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gunsmith looking for work

Options
  • 29-04-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

hay im a gunsmith nearly finnished my course and im looking for work in a range or shop can any one help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Hi Reaper,im sure you will find work as a gunsmith .
    What course did you do ?
    Might help some one looking for a gunsmith .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭reaper501

im currently studying in ashworth collage but before that i was trained by a friend of mine who is a gun smith in america iv worked on a few rifles and shotguns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

What kind of work have you done on shotguns and rifles? Are you a qualified gunsmith? Have you gone through an apprenticeship or gone to a gunsmith school in the US ?

engraving and body work on the shotguns and rifles a small few part replacement
    on bolt action rifle (firing pin,main spring,ejector and extractor ect ) and sights and optic installation

im doing a course on gunsmithing but i would love to do an apprenticeship as well to learn hands on skills my course covers repairs, cleaning, custom work and building shotguns and rifles (pump and semi),pistols and revolvers

any one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Gun shops are very hard to get into because their usually family run business id volunteer my services to you own dealer assuming you have one of course. You should also advertise yourself for restoration, ya no re-finishing stocks and bluing theirs good money in it and iv seen some awful attempts of lads who attempted it themselves even seen a lad take sandpaper to checkering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

reaper501 wrote: »
    any one

Ring a few dealers and offer your service to get yourself known

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You would need to be employed by an rfd or have the licence yourself to do restorations. If you want to do it yourself the licence is 2g's a year and you need to have a strong room approved by the DOJ.

cheers man do u knw of any places i could volunteer iv done some restoration worked on an old Remington 700 and beretta 682 and im all most finnished my course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

reaper501 wrote: »
    cheers man do u knw of any places i could volunteer iv done some restoration worked on an old Remington 700 and beretta 682 and im all most finnished my course

did you take before and after pictures to showcase prospective employers your abilities. If you wanted clean up stocks and fore grips al you need do is take them off and leave the firearm with the licensee, surly you don't need a license to strip some wood and re-finish it. I no of nobody i could recommend to you but ask clubs and get your hands on as many dealer numbers and address you can and call in im sure your aware of how useless dealers are at phone conversations when theirs no money in it for them. What's your general location maybe someone can direct you to their dealers if your local to em. Keep plunging away at it lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Countless amount of lads out there with old battered shotguns and rifles that need some TLC. Makes a world of difference when you re finish the stock and do a good blue job (obviously have to be stripped and de-greased first) Id love to be doing that kind of work, Id say you'd be overwhelmed with lads looking for you to do work if you were any good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Where are you doing the course, and was it on real firearms?

I ask because in your 2 year history on Boards you have posted exclusively on the airsoft forum. I'm not being cynical, but find it odd that in all that time, and while doing a course of gunsmithing that you have never posted in the shooting forum before.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Cass wrote: »
    Where are you doing the course, and was it on real firearms?

I ask because in your 2 year history on Boards you have posted exclusively on the airsoft forum. I'm not being cynical, but find it odd that in all that time, and while doing a course of gunsmithing that you have never posted in the shooting forum before.

I think this may be the course he is doing
    http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/career-diplomas/gunsmithing/?code=B918&utm_nooverride=1&cat=Email&ref=L2E-2-Discover&elq=df5858d6b0a14b91af92f60e6f02804a
    Not a bad course but lacks any real hands on for milling threading machine work, i may be very wroung

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

No offence intended but that looks more like advanced gun maintenance more so than an actual gunsmithing course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have to agree with meathstevie. I applaud your choice, and desire to follow this line of work, but the course seems to rely completely on online studies, etc. and lack the hands on approach most gunsmiths have.

Most gunsmiths have a background in engineering, precision work, machining, etc. Some have college degrees in this, and others have moved into gunsmithing after years working on the same machines & combined with their own experience in firearms they have a good understanding.

As was mentioned above by juice1304, you need to have or be on an RFD's license to work on firearms. Even restoration. The Irish laws are very strict, and sometimes vague so even stocks can be classed as component parts. While not in the same league as an action or barrel if you were found to be working on or in possession of such parts without a license it would land you in a world of trouble.

Not to mention the RFD ledger every gun dealer (as that is what a gun smith is under the law) must have to sign firearms in and out of their possession. Should a Garda arrive, and check this and find an action, barrel, gun that is not recorded you would also be in a lot of trouble. Then other smaller issues such as liability insurance, business account, VAT registration, and/or all things related to being a business/self employed (not 100% on what's necessary so maybe someone can properly detail these).

Now all the above is if you are in business yourself, but in keeping with the theme of the thread you want someone to take you on. It may not be as black and white as just becoming their apprentice.

The one thing i would say is if you are determined it can, and may happen, but please for your own sake DO NOT take on work that you are not legally covered to perform. One "job" may end your career before it begins.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement