Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house without a solicitor - am I mad?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm buying a house in Dublin to cater for my expanding family. I'm getting quotes from solicitors for about €2k to do the business end of title deeds searches etc.

1. Is it possible to do all that work yourself? Must I be/hire a solicitor?
    2. What exactly would I need to do, search, file, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yes you would be mad. If the solicitor messes it up, you're covered by his insurance and ultimately the law society. If you mess it up you're screwed.

I've used this guy to both buy and sell a house and was happier with the service than the solicitor who I paid 5k.

http://www.robertsweeneylaw.ie/

I'm not sure if it's legally possible to do it yourself. Certainly if you need a mortgage, the bank will insist on a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The solicitor can tell you if a deed is a bit dodgy. My parents know some one was buying the house off the plans and only the solicitor noticed that builder had a clause that if the price of building material went up that he could increase the selling price.

Plus a solicitor has to hold the deeds on behalf of the bank if you take out a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Yes you would be mad. If the solicitor messes it up, you're covered by his insurance and ultimately the law society. If you mess it up you're screwed.

I've used this guy to both buy and sell a house and was happier with the service than the solicitor who I paid 5k.

http://www.robertsweeneylaw.ie/

I'm not sure if it's legally possible to do it yourself. Certainly if you need a mortgage, the bank will insist on a solicitor.

Hi Robert, hows business treating ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You would be mad!! As someone mentioned, the bank will insist on one if a mortgage is involved anyway.
    I have done probate and divorce without a solicitor but wouldn't in my wildest dreams do my own conveyancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mad? A little. Stupid? Very.

You may think you're saving yourself a thousand, but you may lose a lot LOT more if you something major that you may not know about. Did the sellers suggest this, by any chance? If so, run a mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

+1, it would be a very naive thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

You're going to need a Solicitor. You'll need legal advice in relation to teh Contract and the Title provided, they are both highly legal and can't be done without legal advice. Also you won't be able to get a mortgage without using a solicitor for the transaction as the bank will insist on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Penny wise and pound foolish...

Advertisement