Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Hornet 250

• 29-04-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking into getting into biking and plan to get my provisional over the summer. I'm 18 so would be on a A2 licence. I've been looking around at bikes and the Hornet 250 has caught my eye.

I know with the old licence the Hornet wasn't learner legal but I looked at the new rules and as far as I can see the 29kW hornet now falls within the 35kW limit for the A2. It also says though that the bike has to have a power to weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg or under and I have no idea whether the Hornet falls into this category or not. If anyone could tell me whether the Hornet is now learner legal that would be great.

Link to the new rules is here: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/categories.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Based on a 2002 Hornet, the p:w is 0.2649 HP/kg or 0.19KW/Kg so I think that should be fine.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_hornet_250_2002.php

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Thanks for the reply! That's great if the hornet is now learner legal. Another question though, any idea what insurance would be like for an 18 year old on a provisional for a hornet? Could I get it for less than €1500 do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Realistically only the insurance companies can tell you that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i was paying about 1200 on my restricted hornet 250 when i was 22.
    go to libertys website and get an online quote.

great bikes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

With insurers best bet is to get in contact with the company obviously.

Although if its some sort of gauge, my friend is 21 and he got 1500 fully comped insurance on a 250r ninja. Id say you wouldnt have a bother picking up insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 NorthernSky

im 24 an got insured with liberty on a provisional with one of them rider assessments for 700e so you should be ok with 1500, have to say great starter bike aswell, i love it, had it a year nearly and keep thinking about moving up but its such a nippy little bike dont think i can bare to part with it ha, great whiney sound off em too :D defiantly recommend,good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NorthernSky

just realised this post is a year old ha hope it worked out for ya lad

Advertisement