Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Your Own - Dublin Monument

Options
  • 29-04-2013 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

I thought this could be a bit of fun / entertaining, but I would be interested to see what people would like to see as a defining monument for Dublin.

London has Big Ben & The London Eye, Paris has the Eiffel Tower and the Chanselise, New York has the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge, Toronto CN Tower etc. etc. etc., you get the idea - Whereas Dublin has the Stiletto in the Ghetto and not much else.

So what would you like to see as a Dublin monument, where would you put it? Would you replace the Spire? Or would you put something else in and new, and why would you choose what you choose.

Personally, I think the Spire should go. I don't know what the other options were at the time, but surely that can't have been the best one! I think a monument should have a few key aspects - No.1 it should be a tourist thing! (I know, I know, but in the end, that's what they're all about) No.2 I think it should be interactive, No.3 where possible, I think it should be historical or at least have some sort of national relevance.

So, mine would be replacing the spire, I'd like to see a CELTIC CROSS erected! Probably around the same height if not a bit taller than Nelsons Pillar, but no where near was tall as the Spire.

A quick snapshot below, the blue arrow would be where steps up would be, it would be in the centre of O'Connell street, so good to sit on and sun yourself or a good place to sit and wait to meet someone.

The Red area would be a Dublin Tourist / Information centre with gift shop etc.

From there you can pay to get the lift up to either the green arrow area, where there would be Bar / Restaurant

And / Or go up to where the pink arrow is, where it would be a 360 observation deck.

Ha! I know it might be a bit tack, but at least as a jumping off point, I think something like that could be decent. It also very "Irish" and would be a very unique and recognisable monument for the city and the country that would be our instantly recognisable "Eiffel Tower".

As to design, if it would be modern, glass / metalic or old school stone / bronze, I don't know, but I think it's better than what we have!! :D

So what do you reckon, what would you go with?

7536e10f-fa30-40d9-9221-84d12d6c994b_zpsf3adbedb.jpg?t=1367263506

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hmmm, A giant symbol of Christianity in the heart of the capital of a country raped in turn by Protestant and Catholic religions for centuries.

No thanks.

Anyway, there's already a giant cross in the Phoenix Park for the birds to shít on. A second one would make the city look a giants cemetery.

Dublin lost its chance to throw up some ground breaking, awe inspiring landmarks when we had money to burn during the boom.

Instead we put up a pointless big prick in the centre of the main street and a load of featureless boring lego style apartments and offices in the docklands.

My suggestion for a monument unique to Ireland is a 100 metre high sculpture of two fingers facing the public from the courtyard of Leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Come on Lapin, you don't like his suggestion, you don't like the one we built yet you can't come up with something but a pisstake?

Great thread Jackass... I like the spire myself for lots of reasons, particularly that it's not religious, it's simplicity and attractiveness. I love the way it compliments the low rise skyline and the way it pops up when you least expect it when you're at meetings in the city, or in a high car park etc... I wasn't mad about it when the idea was first mooted, but I watched grow and I really like it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I definitely think a religious aspect is a problem with my design. More aimed towards the celtic side of things than the religious side of things, but I suppose it could be misinterpreted.

Regarding money / cost - I was hoping to look at it as a kind of fun idea of things people would like to see, but in a fantasy sense, doesn't have to have any realistic chance of ever being done.

edit - also, feel free to add pisstake options, such as the stiffy by the liffey squirting out red coloured water out of the top on the hour, every hour as a time piece and a monument to junkies around the inner city..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If you want something Irish and historic, then how about a giant ****ing dolmen which could act as a roof to keep the rain off O'Connell St.

Oh, and I still like the Spire. And by the number of cameras constantly pointed at it, so do the tourists.

Advertisement