Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricial sunbeds

Options
  • 29-04-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys just wondering do 3 phase sunbeds need 2 go on a rcd apreciate:) your comments cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

joezey wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering do 3 phase sunbeds need 2 go on a rcd apreciate:) your comments cheers
    If a 3 phase circuit requires RCD protection it must have a dedicated RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joezey

so each sunbed needs to be each on a sperate Rcd or Rcbo protction is that what u mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

there prob isn't a particular reg on sunbeds

i'd guess they're mostly wired mcb/isolator

Ok chers Mike

the first thing that springs to mind with sunbeds is ballasts and leakage

may not be an issue but i would prob be aiming at avoiding rcd myself
    if i was wiring cct

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apologies joezey, I misread your opening post.
    I do not think that sun beds would require RCD protection if permanently connected (fed from an isolator without a plug/socket arrangement). However they would require RCD protection if fed from a socket. If multiple 3 phase sockets are used their must be an RCD and MCB per socket outlet.

the first thing that springs to mind with sunbeds is ballasts and leakage

I doubt that the leakage current from a single sun bed would be in excess of 30mA.

http://www.solansunbeds.co.uk/faqsolan.htm

Q Does my electrician need to fit an RCD/RCB/RCBO in the fusebox for extra protection?

A This is optional, but any RCD MUST be 100mA trip, and NOT the standard 30mA trip supplied as standard. Tell your electrician that the sunbed will not run on a standard 30mA RCD/RCB. See our downloadable guide on the homepage for more details, which provides additional information for your electrician

i've only fitted a couple of single phase ones
    dunno is it an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Q Does my electrician need to fit an RCD/RCB/RCBO in the fusebox for extra protection?

A This is optional, but any RCD MUST be 100mA trip, and NOT the standard 30mA trip supplied as standard. Tell your electrician that the sunbed will not run on a standard 30mA RCD/RCB. See our downloadable guide on the homepage for more details, which provides additional information for your electrician

dunno is it an issue

100ma ones would be eliminating the direct shock protection reasoning of 30ma ones. Id say it would be a very severe shock to trip a 100ma one, if it would trip at all. It might help prevent earth fault fires:)

i'm too busy fixing washing machines and broken gadgets these days:)

I know the feeling. Ive had everything from golf trolley fixes, to fitting an immersion cylinder to pre heat water to a dog washing machine this year.

If I could fix my own problems Id be doing well:)

sorry i deleted that off-topic

a dog-washing machine ..............ok:)

• Advertisement

sorry i deleted that off-topic

a dog-washing machine ..............ok:)

I know. Never seen one myself before. Big yoke the dog goes into.

Fair enough!

dunno is it an issue

I fitted a 3 phase socket on a 30mA RCD for one about 10 years ago. The reason I fit a socket was so that I could finish and get paid. The sun bed was due to arrive sometime after I finished. I never heard of a problem with it, perhaps I was just lucky. I think it was about 13 kW.

2011 wrote: »
    Apologies joezey, I misread your opening post.
    I do not think that sun beds would require RCD protection if permanently connected (fed from an isolator without a plug/socket arrangement). However they would require RCD protection if fed from a socket. If multiple 3 phase sockets are used their must be an RCD and MCB per socket outlet.

I doubt that the leakage current from a single sun bed would be in excess of 30mA.

why must there be an rcd and mcb per socket? or per cct?

didn't notice anything in rules except sockets over 16amp must have dedicated cct-i assume that applies to SP and 3P sockets ,but would only mean an mcb

It probably wouldn't be great switching a neutral that is supplying multiple 3 phase circuits anyway.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't be great switching a neutral that is supplying multiple 3 phase circuits anyway.

maybe it's the norm where there's $$

i don't recall seeing 1 rcd per cct or 1 mcb+rcd per socket on small jobs

Bruthal forget about your washing machins and just make sure u bring your ladder, copper pipes and gutte:)r bolts 2 work 2moro!!!!

why must there be an rcd and mcb per socket? or per cct?

According to the regulations:

"554.1.5 A socket-outlet having a rating greater than 16A shall be supplied by a dedicated circuit that does not supply any other item."

It could be argued that several 3 phase 16A sockets could be fed from the same circuit or that several 32A socket outlets could share an RCD (but have separate MCBs). However neither would be considered good practice in an industrial/commercial installation.

2011 wrote: »
    According to the regulations:

"554.1.5 A socket-outlet having a rating greater than 16A shall be supplied by a dedicated circuit that does not supply any other item."

It could be argued that several 3 phase 16A sockets could be fed from the same circuit or that several 32A socket outlets could share an RCD (but have separate MCBs). However neither would be considered good practice in an industrial/commercial installation.

yes i already referred to that rule
    its not entirely relevant to my question

anyhow industry best practice may agree with your view

Advertisement