Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Job Interview- To Go or Not To Go

• 29-04-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm not sure this is the right forum but really I'm not sure what other forum I could put this in. I'm looking for Summer or part-time work so I've put a few cv's into different places. One place responded and I have an interview this week, however I've only just found out it is basically a door to door salesman, which is commission only. Another problem is that I lack a car, surely having no car would hinder my ability to go door to door?

Should I just not go and hope that somebody else gets back to me with a better offer? Or should I go and hear them out and do it, but by doing it would I then miss out on the chance for a better, more reliable job in which I get a regular wage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

this is ah
    but il be nice :P

DONT DO IT
    commission base pay is **** MONEY
    you'll spend all day out in all weather, rain , sleet or snow
    trying to get someone to buy some useless crap off you
    you most likely will make feck all
    is theirs a basic wage in it then id say give it a go
    but if commission only
    its not worth your time
    cause you'd only get a small percentage of the money out of a buy
    also you'd be pissing off people full time for your work :P i wouldnt bother pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Ok so I'm not sure this is the right forum but really I'm not sure what other forum I could put this in. I'm looking for Summer or part-time work so I've put a few cv's into different places. One place responded and I have an interview this week, however I've only just found out it is basically a door to door salesman, which is commission only. Another problem is that I lack a car, surely having no car would hinder my ability to go door to door?

Should I just not go and hope that somebody else gets back to me with a better offer? Or should I go and hear them out and do it, but by doing it would I then miss out on the chance for a better, more reliable job in which I get a regular wage.

Go. The interview experience will stand for you in the future. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Have you considered prostitution? It's like being a door-to-door salesperson except you don't need a car. You'll still get a fcuk-off everyone you deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No harm in going for the interview anyway.. just to get a feel for how they go. You're under no obligation to accept the job afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Have you received any more offers? Jesus, just go for it.

You'll either get the job or not, even if you do it doesn't stop you going for any other interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Any job worth doing is a job worth being paid for.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I wouldn't, unless the company whose product you're selling is hiring directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I did this just after I left college a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, most of these jobs are scams. The interview is a formality, you will definitely get the job. Then you will have 5 minutes "training", you will be dumped with a few other folks, sent to the bus stop, you will have to pay for your own transport to get somewhere.

You will then spend the whole day knocking on the doors of people who are not happy to see you, whilst the other folks you are with begin brainwashing you, just as they have been. You will hear a lot about how they are going to have their own office somewhere in England in less than six months, because the opportunities are limitless and you will be rewarded so long as you show that you are a motivated self-started.

All in all, you might make a sale, you might not. They make money, you make nothing. You go home exhausted after walking around for hours, depressed after suffering hundreds of rejections, and out of pocket because you had to pay for several busses and you didn't get paid a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dude, I did this job for a summer. Well, not the whole summer because it's a load of sh*t!

Seriously, stay away. Don't let any of the "A job's a job" clowns get on you either. Yes, a job is a job, But this is not a job but a Trapazoid Scheme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Try your best, but don't try too hard... it's a fcukin tightrope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

If it's the type of "door to door", I'm thinking of, I'd say go for one reason only: so you can spot these types of bulls**t "jobs" a mile off.

I imagine it'll be something like: oh you were lucky to get the interview, there's great chances to climb the ladder if you're dedicated, you'll be able to make over a few hundred in a day if you "work hard" and all that rubbish.

More than likely it'll end up with you being told "walk around for about 5-9 hours and get people to sign up and you get X euro per sign up".
    Then there are clauses (which you won't be told about), such as: if they cancel the direct debit you don't get money or even if you do get money, X amount of it is taken away by the company.

So do go, then report back on what sort of bull they're spouting since I could do with the laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AH answer :
    Are you employed by Barca Football club to commentate on matches on yet?

Serious answer :
    The interview experience will definitely stand to you so for that alone go to it but these commission type job can be a bit dodgy. Caution advised. That said, they are obviously genuine jobs out there and who knows maybe you stumbled onto one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Get a job in a bank. You could be CEO in ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jernal wrote: »
    Serious answer :
    The interview experience will definitely stand to you so for that alone go to it but these commission type job can be a bit dodgy. Caution advised. That said, they are obviously genuine jobs out there and who knows maybe you stumbled onto one?

None of them are commission only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Thanks everyone, especially those who've got a bit of experience with it and know what it is about because up until today I really hadn't a clue what a door to door salesman entails other than annoying people by knocking on their door. I think I probably wont go, that being said this job hunting thing is difficult. I've searched every job site that covers Ireland and still nothing, it's early days still but it isn't looking promising for the Summer.

Jernal wrote: »
    AH answer :
    Are you employed by Barca Football club to commentate on matches on yet?

Serious answer :

No, I'm currently a student but if you know where I can apply for a Barcelona commentary position you will struggle to find a more passionate, slightly biased commentator.

None of them are commission only though.

I'd say that's really the main way to spot a job from a "job".
    Any place that goes by commission only usually (but not always obviously) is just the same company scamming as before but under a new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I did this just after I left college a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, most of these jobs are scams

I don't know if I'd call them scams tbh. They may be weighted towards benefiting the employer more than the employee (hardly the only circumstance in which that's the case), but if you're any way decent at selling stuff, and the product / service is saleable; then you can make money.

As for the commission only thing.. well, what's the issue. Self-employed people take it upon themselves to resell stuff / buy into franchises / act as dealers etc. all the time. That's how I'd view a commission only job anyway. It's not as if the whole commission thing is sprung upon you the day you're 'due' your first pay-packet. People [should] know what they're getting into before they accept any offer. And if they're any good at doing what they're supposed to do; then they will not see it as a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I did this just after I left college a few years back. As far as I'm concerned, most of these jobs are scams. The interview is a formality, you will definitely get the job. Then you will have 5 minutes "training", you will be dumped with a few other folks, sent to the bus stop, you will have to pay for your own transport to get somewhere.

You will then spend the whole day knocking on the doors of people who are not happy to see you, whilst the other folks you are with begin brainwashing you, just as they have been. You will hear a lot about how they are going to have their own office somewhere in England in less than six months, because the opportunities are limitless and you will be rewarded so long as you show that you are a motivated self-started.

All in all, you might make a sale, you might not. They make money, you make nothing. You go home exhausted after walking around for hours, depressed after suffering hundreds of rejections, and out of pocket because you had to pay for several busses and you didn't get paid a cent.

As a student in uk I did this job. 100% you will pass the interview. You will not get any benefit from just going to the interview. Unless you have trouble speaking to people and need to get over the nerves or something like that.

Minimum 13 hour days. 3 hours in the office then into the field at 1pm till 9pm. Back to the office done by 10 pm.
    Our office was doing gas and electricity. 15 quid a sale.
    Tbh I made great money. 300-600 a week. And it was good social life. Im actually still in touch with 4 or 5 guys from the office 15 year s later.
    But I would not do it again. Find a real sales job with allowances for your expenses. Real training and some security like a basic wage. Not every guy made money in the office. And if you hit a bad week or so you go broke.

The umbrella company name was cobra group. They arent a scam but the arent exactly legit and a little bit "culty"

Thanks everyone, especially those who've got a bit of experience with it and know what it is about because up until today I really hadn't a clue what a door to door salesman entails other than annoying people by knocking on their door. I think I probably wont go, that being said this job hunting thing is difficult. I've searched every job site that covers Ireland and still nothing, it's early days still but it isn't looking promising for the Summer.

You really should go, just for the interview alone.
    You'd be surprised at how easy it'll grab you if you're jobless or a student like you who really wants money.

I'm guessing it was on a website for jobs, right? Something like "uncapped earnings", talking about "team work", needing "ambition" and all great buzzwords?

Just go, we could be very wrong here. But even if we're right, it'll help you spot people who are just going to drop you as quick as they got your CV. And keep in mind, there's a very, very good chance (as in 99%) that the company is going to have constant people coming and going.

BTW, depending on the company, google them. You might find other people on other sites telling you the same (but naming the company obviously).
    And you'll probably find that company advertising on all sorts of categories, not just sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You won't learn anything from the interview. The monkey interviewing you is as desperate and naive as the people you have knocking on your door.

I don't know if I'd call them scams tbh. They may be weighted towards benefiting the employer more than the employee (hardly the only circumstance in which that's the case), but if you're any way decent at selling stuff, and the product / service is saleable; then you can make money.

You're right, it's a bit unfair to label all commission jobs as scams but we're talking about ones that *are* scams. Like I already mentioned, the "you only get your 25 euro or whatever if the person you signed up, keeps the direct debit going for a few months" or whatever.

Hell, most of the companies have horror stories written about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If you have your mind made up that you don't want the job, you should go to the interview and give silly answers or something.

Either that or just go to the interview for the experience. You won't be stressed about it because you know in the back of your mind that you don't care if you get the job or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I hope you research companies better than you researched boards.ie.

This thread has been in the errr work & jobs forum for yonks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If you can lack a car you should try a body shop, other than that, oranges are cheep but get good money on the black carpet.

cml387 wrote: »
    I hope you research companies better than you researched boards.ie.

This thread has been in the errr work & jobs forum for yonks.

Ye I spotted that thread in my initial attempt to find out more about the company who I have an interview with.

However the interview is tomorrow and I wanted to get as many opinions as possible and with a bit of diversity before deciding and the only way to do that was with a thread on AH.

Ye I spotted that thread in my initial attempt to find out more about the company who I have an interview with.

However the interview is tomorrow and I wanted to get as many opinions as possible and with a bit of diversity before deciding and the only way to do that was with a thread on AH.

You know you can just accept the job and then call up in the morning if you have second thoughts, right?

Is it a big company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

A job pays you. End of. Don't keep these scammers in business by going to the interview.

Also, the interview will be worth less than a kick in the hole in terms of 'transferable skills'. So don't take the advice of AH denizens who'll berate you for not going to the interview and then get up for their comfy, indoors *paid* job tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Steve O wrote: »
    Is it a big company?

I didn't know they existed until I applied for the job. Apparently one of their clients on whose behalf you go door to door to sell for are Airtricity.

I didn't know they existed until I applied for the job. Apparently one of their clients on whose behalf you go door to door to sell for are Airtricity.

Yeah, I wouldn't. A lot of these companies are a joke.

Hold out for a telesales job in a decent company, at least you get a decent wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

OP, could you please pm me the details of which company this interview was with? I have my suspicions about a company that I found on jobs.ie with what appeared to be a good sales programme on paper, but the reality was knocking on doors peddling pish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

@OP.
    go on the ranting and raving board,the job hunters rant thread; look at the page before last on that thread especialy,lots of people talking about that type of job.

Advertisement