Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandarin ducks

Options
  • 29-04-2013 9:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering are these an invasive species, or have they always been a rare/rare-ish visitor to this country. I'm seeing them more and more now, and there are at least two pairs on the Royal Canal around Ashtown.
    They certainly are a lovely looking bird though.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I don't think they're a "visitor" - to the best of my knowledge they've been released from private collections rather than ending up here of their own accord. I suppose they are really an invasice species since they've bred in a few places, but i havn't heard anything about them in terms of potential problems or plans to report and cull them or anything, so it seems they'll probably be left to their own devices in the short term at least

This Irish Examiner article sheds a bit more light on their presence here: Mandarin Duck an Unlikely Invader

Old thread about them here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74765357

They are undoubtedly a lovely looking bird though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

As of yet they are not considered invasive in Ireland. In Scotland there are worries that the expanding Mandarin Duck population might compete with nesting Goldeneye for nest sites. Both species nest in holes in trees. Scotland has a very small breeding population of Goldeneye.

Advertisement