Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignatius Moore of Newcastle House

• 29-04-2013 9:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm researching another of my g-g-g grandparents, Ignatius Michael Moore of Newcastle House, Co. Kildare/ Co. Dublin and I have found 21 records under the title Ireland, Landed Estate Court Files, 1850-1885 at Family Search which may be relevant to me but I don't know what exactly they are or how I might view them. Can anyone shed any light on them for me?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Claire Santry's excellent website has all the info you need.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/landed-estates-court-rentals.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for that.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hope no-one minds me resurrecting this thread.
    Earlier this week I visited Newcastle House and although the current owners weren't familiar with my ancestors name they were more than happy to chat about the history of the house and my connection with it.
    However one way in which they did help was to direct me to the old graveyard in the grounds of UCD, just up the road from their house which, they informed me, has a Moore plot within it. This was news to me and off I went up to UCD where I was kindly given the key and allowed to explore the wee cemetery for myself. Unfortunately none of the headstones which were legible had names I could connect with family which was a shame as they dated from as early as 1693.
    But some of the stones had no legible markings and I'm wondering would there be a record somewhere of who was buried in this cemetery and where I might access these records if they exist?

8788zs.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I had a look at the Dublin Graveyards Directory on the Dublin Heritage website but there was nothing on the map for a cemetery in the grounds of UCD. Surprising, as that seems like a fairly comprehensive database.

The nearest two graveyards listed are Mount Anville and Taney.

The hunt for info begins!:) Someone with more Dublin knowledge have any ideas?

This from IGP:
    Newcastle - Newcastle Co Dublin (Roman Catholic) 1813-1987 graveyard is now closed only open to those with burial rights -RC- from 1778-1976 are divided in a time frame and are held in three separate local custody places.

I wonder does held in three separate local custody places refer to records?

Also the Ancestors section of the Irish Times website mentions Memorials of the Dead: Dublin City and County by Michael E. Egan which I might try sourcing as it mentions what I think is the same graveyard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I'm close to UCD and no graveyard that I know of... I thought the Newcastle House referred to was the one on the Dublin/Kildare border ?

Think this Church of Ireland Graveyard is it :

http://dublinheritage.ie/graveyards/search.php?graveid=161

Parish records, including death/burial back to the 1770s held by the RCBL

Sorry Shane, I should have said UCD Lyons Farm.
    Here it is on the old OSI map.

Genealogy Forum Mod

dont think the one you've linked on the OSI map is the same as the one on the Dublin Heritage listing. That one is located in the townland named Glebe in Newcastle civil parish - the other is in the nearly townland of 'Lyons Demesne' in Lyons civil parish, Co. Kildare.

However given the name of the CofI parish, i.e. Newcastle-Lyons, I would guess they were amalgamated at some stage, so could share records..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    ........Unfortunately none of the headstones which were legible had names I could connect with family which was a shame as they dated from as early as 1693.
    ?

8788zs.jpg

I very much doubt that the stone above dates to 1603 - I'd guess it is a 'modern' replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I very much doubt that the stone above dates to 1603 - I'd guess it is a 'modern' replacement.

1693 - but even then the cutting looks a bit too accurate and legible. Depending on which way they face to the wind I've found most similar type stones from as recently as 1910 and back to be illegible

Yes, the stone looks like a recent replacement all right judging by the mortar but it was the events it recorded rather than the stone itself to which I was referring. But I would need to fill in the blanks between 1693 and 1830 before I can make any definite connections between my Moore's and these Moore's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement