Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

SamHall wrote: »
    Didn't think that reply through thoroughly, now I want to know whose propaganda mouthpiece they are?

As I said:
    Indeed, they've never upset them, have they? ;)

It's flawed reasoning to conclude that if they aren't in SF's pocket, they must be in somebody's pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

SamHall wrote: »
    Didn't think that reply through thoroughly, now I want to know whose propaganda mouthpiece they are?

Think the lowry tapes avoidence answers that for ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't know, we've had inquiries recently into murders so I doubt it's a big conspiracy against Republicans or a matter of calling Adams bluff.
    I mean, call his bluff and agree to a truth and reconciliation commission. That solves everybody's problems.

Still amazed you haven't voted for a candidate from this party with such a wonderful leader!

You're sceptical of me now, ever consider faith healing?:rolleyes:
    I have never voted for them in a national election for my own reasons, I have voted for a local councillor, but that was because I knew him mre than about his politics, which I don't consider all that important on a town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Outside of defensive actions was the armed struggle really necessary?

If the offensive armed struggle was necessary than surely it remains necessary now?

I and others believe that it was, yes.

Conditions have changed for the nationalist population significantly, so no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Nodin wrote: »
    I and others believe that it was, yes.

Conditions have changed for the nationalist population significantly, so no.

So basically you are saying that the long war was not about national liberation it was about civil rights or something? What conditions have changed significantly for the nationalist population?

So basically you are saying that the long war was not about national liberation it was about civil rights or something? What conditions have changed significantly for the nationalist population?

It was about a number of things...policing, housing, tolerance of sectarian violence, conditions in the workplace have all greatly improved.

Why are you asking me about things that are well known? Are you, perchance, trying to justify the dissident campaign and using me as a springboard for your wee rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

How come there's no discussion here about Adams' call for a Truth Commission to be set up? Loads of rabble about how people want the truth yet a profound unwillingness by those most vocal; to actually do something which would uncover the truth.. mad that

Do FG or any of its lackeys here support the setting up of such a commission? I doubt it very much... truth me hole. All people want is a one-sided version of events so they can continue on with their vitriol and pigeonholing. Hypocrites.

Even in the absence of such a commission why wont the government assist families that are looking for answers. A couple of weeks ago was an anniversary of the belturbet bombing in cavan and shatter refused to release the files. If it was the british government holding onto them then that would be somewhat understandable as they would want to keep their dirty dealings in such events a secret. What is it that the irish government are concealing in relation to those murders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Even in the absence of such a commission why wont the government assist families that are looking for answers. A couple of weeks ago was an anniversary of the belturbet bombing in cavan and shatter refused to release the files. If it was the british government holding onto them then that would be somewhat understandable as they would want to keep their dirty dealings in such events a secret. What is it that the irish government are concealing in relation to those murders

Collusion, it was a big thing with the Cosgrave government in the seventies, that is why there will never be a truth commission. The ministerial low life that allowed the atrocities to take place and cancelled investigations into the same, could be described as war criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It happened on 28 December 1972. The names of the Belturbet bombers are generally known unlike the names of the Enniskillen bombers. Sinn Fein gives great recognition the Edentubber five who blew themselves up on the way to do the same as Enniskillen to another Remembrance Day gathering in 1957. Why don't they make public the Enniskillen volunteers names and give them a celebration every year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

It happened on 28 December 1972. The names of the Belturbet bombers are generally known unlike the names of the Enniskillen bombers. Sinn Fein gives great recognition the Edentubber five who blew themselves up on the way to do the same as Enniskillen to another Remembrance Day gathering in 1957. Why don't they make public the Enniskillen volunteers names and give them a celebration every year?

Probably because some of the people that planted that bomb in Enniskillen fled the country and were never brought up on any charges. The UVF members that were involved in the Beltubet bombing were likewise never brought up on any charges in relation to this, nor were the people with the expertise to construct the device. Why are the government files kept secret

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I don't know why he just doesn't admit he was in the IRA. A lot of his former comrades if he said he was in it. He tried to justify all most of the people IRA killed even the ones that were unjustifiably.

I don't think people blame Adams for the PIRA, most the recruits joined because of Bloody Sunday.

My catholic mother lived in the North in from 1967 - 79 & the discrimination she faced on almost a daily basis purely because she was catholic makes it hard for me to even type about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Neither - I just love the irony.

The ironic thing is there is no irony at all about it.

tdv123 wrote: »
    I don't know why he just doesn't admit he was in the IRA. A lot of his former comrades if he said he was in it. ,,,,,,

...because - after denying it for so many years - he's painted himself into a corner on the issue.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also the last thing Adams wants is a truth commission, you can be sure of that. There's too many vested interests on all sides in NOT having one.

A Truth and Reconciliation Forum will show that, in general, Republicans fighting back was an acceptable reaction to a gerrymandered, sectarian oppressive State that refused to see a section of society as equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not only is the bearded demon a fibber par excellence, he is also the master of Filibustering and throwing arguments back at the interviewer,
    such is the sliminess of his breed. I wonded did he give her a warning telling off in her dressing room - a la the McGuinness "word in her ear"!

Miriam wins easily, by not allowing him to control the interview.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not only is the bearded demon.......

Do you throw holy water at the TV when republicans and nationalists appear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I think you should practice what you preach tbh.

I don't know the names of the Belturbet bombers. Would you care to make public their names?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Ha Miriam won nothing there. Gerry was calm and collected, Miriam with her tilted head and concerned face got nowhere.....AGAIN! :cool:

Nodin wrote: »
    ...because - after denying it for so many years - he's painted himself into a corner on the issue.

He is in no corner, if he was to admit to being in control, he would spend the rest of his life in the courts, being sued. That is why the low life keep asking the question, then they would have him by the B"lls. He and his colleagues had to fight a war against a superior enemy, and with all their might brought the brits screaming to the conference table. Do you think that he will fall at the last fence by questions by some over paid clown of a highly paid journo. Welcome to the real world, the nearest Disney, is in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A Truth and Reconciliation Forum will show that, in general, Republicans fighting back was an acceptable reaction to a gerrymandered, sectarian oppressive State that refused to see a section of society as equal.

Outside that generalisation they also indulged in a bit of ethnic cleansing along the border. Billy Fox, Darkley, South Fermanagh etc. etc.

Douglas Deering was the last Protestant shopkeeper in Rosslea, in south-east Fermanagh. He was not and never had been a member of the security forces. Married with three children he attended a Gospel hall in Clones. He was shot dead in his shop on May 12, 1978. His shop had been bombed four times by the time of his murder.

"In 1992, a British Army officer who had served in NI summed up the effects of Provisional ethnic cleansing in a lecture at the Army's staff college: 'In Fermanagh and south Tyrone there were 203 murders carried out between 1971 and 1989 of which 178 were carried out by republicans.

• Advertisement

Ha Miriam won nothing there. Gerry was calm and collected, Miriam with her tilted head and concerned face got nowhere.....AGAIN! :cool:

Hes done time for the cause, been shot, been targeted, had relatives killed and been under that pressure for decades. It's unlikely that some journo is going to get to him.

Outside that generalisation they also indulged in a bit of ethnic cleansing along the border. Billy Fox, Darkley, South Fermanagh etc. etc.

Douglas Deering was the last Protestant shopkeeper in Rosslea, in south-east Fermanagh. He was not and never had been a member of the security forces. Married with three children he attended a Gospel hall in Clones. He was shot dead in his shop on May 12, 1978. His shop had been bombed four times by the time of his murder.

"In 1992, a British Army officer who had served in NI summed up the effects of Provisional ethnic cleansing in a lecture at the Army's staff college: 'In Fermanagh and south Tyrone there were 203 murders carried out between 1971 and 1989 of which 178 were carried out by republicans.

Would you not think your post is a bit one sided, do Catholics not count in the area you are talking about.

Not only is the bearded demon a fibber par excellence, he is also the master of Filibustering and throwing arguments back at the interviewer,
    such is the sliminess of his breed. I wonded did he give her a warning telling off in her dressing room - a la the McGuinness "word in her ear"!

Miriam wins easily, by not allowing him to control the interview.

Seriously, you lose any shred of credibility with that post. Nobody could possibly see Miriam as 'winning' (terrible choice of words by the way) given her ignorant interview style, refusal to let Gerry respond and the fact that this interview has been done so many times before. It was an amateur attempt at SF bashing which Gerry Adams turned round to his advantage.

There's only so many times RTÉ can continue to act like this, it's becoming tiresome.

You must misunderstand the term 'ethnic cleansing'.*

*In no way should this be seen as an endorsement of such action.

Seriously, you lose any shred of credibility with that post. Nobody could possibly see Miriam as 'winning' (terrible choice of words by the way) given her ignorant interview style, refusal to let Gerry respond and the fact that this interview has been done so many times before. It was an amateur attempt at SF bashing which Gerry Adams turned round to his advantage.

There's only so many times RTÉ can continue to act like this, it's becoming tiresome.

But that's because you watched the interview through a Pro-IRA Pro-Republican prism!

From most peoples perspective, Adams is a nasty piece of work, (he was in the PIRA) and crap as Miriam is at interviewing,
    she certainly rattled the old devil a few times in that confrontation, which was good to see.

But that's because you watched the interview through a Pro-IRA Pro-Republican prism!

From most peoples perspective, Adams is a nasty piece of work, (he was in the PIRA) and crap as Miriam is at interviewing,
    she certainly rattled the old devil a few times in that confrontation, which was good to see.

At least you can admit your personal prejudices have coloured how you viewed the interview. That kind of makes it difficult for you to 'win' this debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have little time for Adams but I would have liked to have heard his answers.
    Miriam acted the bully thus depriving us from hearing anything.
    I asked myself what the purpose of the interview was as I couldn't hear it or make up my mind about any of his answers as I couldn't hear them.

I thought it was an odd show with little purpose except to further Miriam's dwindling ego and career. It also failed in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Oh Gerry was rattled now was he? Ha

Keep reaching brutha!

I have little time for Adams but I would have liked to have heard his answers.

Problem was that he just kept Filibustering, like he always does in interviews (see post#216).

> > > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84408214&postcount=216

But that's because you watched the interview through a Pro-Republican prism!.

....I would have thought glasses more suitable for the task.
    From my perspective Adams is a nasty piece of work, (he was in the PIRA)

O NOES!"!!!!!!!
    and crap as Miriam is at interviewing, she certainly rattled the old devil a few times in that confrontation, which was good to see.

http://ubel.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/gerry_80848t.jpg

• Advertisement

Indeed there was a very nasty sectarian undercurrent to the Provisionals campaign that came to the fore particularly on a good few occasions. Mind you they were the product of a nasty sectarian society where "their community" were the underdogs- but that still cannot justify a lot of what they did. And than at the end of it all they backed the GFA and giving the partition of Ireland and the occupation of the six counties a legitimacy that it never had before setting the cause of Irish freedom back decades.

A small snippet from Girwood barracks.

"The base provided the backdrop for the infamous torture of internees, the killing of six men in the New Lodge in the early '70s, to riots and plastic bullet killings, to collusion murders by the UDA and UVF with files supplied from the intelligence hub of North Belfast and the murder of a New Lodge teenager by two Scot Guards men on patrol from Girdwood. The base was taken over by the British army in 1970 and almost immediately crown forces began a campaign of murder, torture and cruelty against the nationalist people of North Belfast.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Loyalists+killers+with+connection+to+the++brit+army&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CFsQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nuzhound.com%2Farchive%2Fgoto.php%3Fid%3D124090&ei=s0KAUce-KpGFhQf0zICACg&usg=AFQjCNH6vRAxkja3rYwXanZ9N0mF6MLwgA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No need to hear what Adams was saying as he spent most of the the time Filibustering (as pointed out in post#216).

I usually like to make my own mind up though.
    I didn't get the chance last night as I wasn't allowed hear the replies.

Problem was that he just kept Filibustering, like he always does in interviews (see post#216).

Do you realize how hypocritical you come across as?

Do you realize how hypocritical you come across as?

You mean because I don't answer yours or Nodins questions? well that's true, but then again I wasn't in the IRA, and you are not Miriam!

Goodnight.

You mean because I don't answer yours or Nodins questions? well that's true, but then again I wasn't in the IRA, and you are not Miriam!

Goodnight.

No. Because you have defended British Imperialism on numerous occasions so you have no right to go on about the Provos as if they were some absolute evil.

... you have no right to go on about the Provos as if they were some absolute evil.

Lovely bunch of fellows, pussycats the lot of them, and not an evil bone in their Provo bodies.

Goodnight again, this time I'm off Z z z z

Lovely bunch of fellows, pussycats the lot of them, and not an evil bone in their Provo bodies.

Goodnight again, this time I'm off Z z z z

Another little bit of news ou could read before you hit the pillow.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner's report into collusion between the security forces and loyalist paramilitaries also found that military intelligence in Northern Ireland helped to prolong the Troubles.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Loyalists+killers+with+connection+to+the++brit+army&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk%2F2%2Fhi%2Fuk_news%2Fnorthern_ireland%2F2955941.stm&ei=s0KAUce-KpGFhQf0zICACg&usg=AFQjCNFvTNgm5SUjs3YyxsEeBD54_OmFtg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

am i missing something or did you actually provide a link to your own post as evidence of Adams' alleged fillibustering?
    "Adams is a fillibusterer. You should read LordSutch, 2013, he makes the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

For all the armchair republicans and IRA apologists in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Really hope the Shinners hang onto Adams as leader for as long as possible - he's such an electoral liability for them.
    We're about 4/5 years into the worst recession in living memory and they're still hovering aroun 15%.
    Obviously their massive failure politically isn't all down to Adams, hopefully there's enough right-thinking people in the country to ensure they're never let near the levers of power in this Republic (we've all seen what they'll do when given the keys of a stationary cabinet) - but Adams is probably dragging them down an extra few percent all on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

does maaryy-um o callagahan have a crooked eye?

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    For all the armchair republicans and IRA apologists in this thread

Actually love that song. I remember pissing myself laughing the first time I heard "Marty Whelan, he's in the RA."
    Anyway, I think what you actually have on this thread is more a collection of disappointed FFers, FGers and anti-republicans.
    They heard Gerry was on telly and got all excited about an opportunity to do a bit of SF bashing. But then he came on and was calm, articulate and straightforward, while Miriam flapped about like a spoiled brat who wasnt getting what she wanted.
    Now they dont really know what to do, so half of them are reverting back to the old "where are the bodies" cliches while the other half are just denying reality and hailing miriam as a stalwart of modern journalism *stifles snigger*

Paul Mcgrath, take of your bra

Really hope the Shinners hang onto Adams as leader for as long as possible - he's such an electoral liability for them.
    We're about 4/5 years into the worst recession in living memory and they're still hovering aroun 15%.
    Obviously their massive failure politically isn't all down to Adams, hopefully there's enough right-thinking people in the country to ensure they're never let near the levers of power in this Republic (we've all seen what they'll do when given the keys of a stationary cabinet) - but Adams is probably dragging them down an extra few percent all on his own.

Yeah, in the course of 4 elections they've gone from zero TDs to 14. They're doing terribly.

Yeah, in the course of 4 elections they've gone from zero TDs to 14. They're doing terribly.

14 - wow!

That's like almost 10%!

Considering most of the people who vote for them are 'radical students' enjoying a bit of protest politics before settling down and unemployed barstool republicans -I wouldn't be bragging about it too much.

• Advertisement

14 - wow!

That's like almost 10%!

Considering most of the people who vote for them are 'radical students' enjoying a bit of protest politics before settling down and unemployed barstool republicans -I wouldn't be bragging about it too much.

Agreed about the 'radical students' protest politics. I just wonder do they still wear the Che Guevara T shirts these days?
    I also suspect that some of the Shinners on here are of the old school hardened type. One thing they all have in common is
    that they will defend the IRA and Adams till they die (or grow up) in the case of the student types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Miriam is useless at interviewing, and should be gotten rid of. As part of an interview, you want to hear both question and answer.

Heck, one could say she was more annoying than Adams in the interview.

14 - wow!

That's like almost 10%!

Wow, I'm actually amazed that you know everybody who votes for Sinn Fein, that's about 400,000 people. Impressive.
    Anyway, keep it up, keep dehumanising and dismissing the sections of the electorate you dont like. That's what the other parties did and that's why we've seen Sinn Fein grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

That must be why he is continually pushing for one. Reverse psychology. Clever bugger.

He's pushing for one because it's politically beneficial for him to do so; it's also a handy stick to use to goad the Brits about their collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries. However, he has no problem calling for one repeatedly because he knows full well there will never be one in Ireland.

Do you honestly think a truth commission would be beneficial for Sinn Féin? That after three decades of Gerry Adams denying he had anything to do with the IRA, he turned around and said "yeah actually, myself and Martin were on the Army Council until 2007 odd and sanctioned operations that led to hundreds of people being killed. Oh and by the way, I was directly responsible for cases such as Jean McConville."

He would in his hole. If you think that Adams would want thirty years of skeletons emerging from the cupboards of history while he's trying to rebrand his party as an electoral alternative in the south you are absolutely codding yourself. Similarly the Brits will never admit in a million years that they colluded with Loyalists as part of a strategy to murder their own citizens in order to undermine the IRA.

Neither side wants any of that publicity, that's why you'll never see any sort of truth committee.

Anyway, keep it up, keep dehumanising and dismissing the sections of the electorate you dont like.

Fully intend to.

It's the duty of every upstanding citizen to expose the hypocrisy and lies of SF/IRA (and their supporters) when they appear on the airwaves seeking to sweep decades of murder, torture and racketeering under the carpet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement