Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

FTA69 wrote: »
    He's pushing for one because it's politically beneficial for him to do so; it's also a handy stick to use to goad the Brits about their collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries. However, he has no problem calling for one repeatedly because he knows full well there will never be one in Ireland.

Do you honestly think a truth commission would be beneficial for Sinn Féin? That after three decades of Gerry Adams denying he had anything to do with the IRA, he turned around and said "yeah actually, myself and Martin were on the Army Council until 2007 odd and sanctioned operations that led to hundreds of people being killed. Oh and by the way, I was directly responsible for cases such as Jean McConville."

He would in his hole. If you think that Adams would want thirty years of skeletons emerging from the cupboards of history while he's trying to rebrand his party as an electoral alternative in the south you are absolutely codding yourself. Similarly the Brits will never admit in a million years that they colluded with Loyalists as part of a strategy to murder their own citizens in order to undermine the IRA.

Neither side wants any of that publicity, that's why you'll never see any sort of truth committee.

To be honest, I don't see what republicans have to lose from a truth commission. Most of the IRA's actions, both justifiable and unjustifiable are well known. Not to mention the fact that they have now left the stage.
    The IRA have apologised to all non-combatants killed and have cooperated fully in helping to find the disappeared.
    Adams has apologised on behalf of republicans for the deaths of members of the Free State forces.
    So what if it came out that Adams was in the IRA. As we've seen on this thread, most people seem to "know" that already, so how would it being revealed really affect him. Plus a truth commission would take years, he would probably have stepped down as leader by the time it happened.

The brits, loyalists, unionists and Free State government are the only ones with anything to lose.
    There's opposition to a truth commission alright but it's not coming from republicans.

Fully intend to.

It's the duty of every upstanding citizen to expose the hypocrisy and lies of SF/IRA (and their supporters) when they appear on the airwaves seeking to sweep decades of murder, torture and racketeering under the carpet.

SF/IRA? HA! I had no idea caricatures from the 90s could type.
    Anyway, go ahead, get on with your duty. Show us some of the hypocrisy and lies that Sinn Fein have been trying to sweep under the carpet, you old vanguard of virtue.
    Unless of course, all that bluster up there is just the same old empty rhetoric people are rapidly getting tired of hearing whenever Sinn Fein challenge the government on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

To be honest, I don't see what republicans have to lose from a truth commission. Most of the IRA's actions, both justifiable and unjustifiable are well known. Not to mention the fact that they have now left the stage.

OK then, give us an example of a Justifiable act by the Provo's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

She was pretty poor tonight in fairness. She didn't seem to listen to his answers and kept cutting him off.

Empty vessels make the most noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

LordSutch wrote: »
    Lovely bunch of fellows, pussycats the lot of them, and not an evil bone in their Provo bodies.

Goodnight again, this time I'm off Z z z z

No I dont think they were pussycats at all- members of my family were killed by them. However the one sided absolute condemnation of them without seeing the context from which they emerged and which sustained them by people such as yourself makes any meaningful discussion or critique of them an impossibility. I dont like Adams at all but watching that interview made me strongly sympathize with him. Some posts here would also make me want to vote Sinn Fein just to annoy the people who make them.

Defending St Matthew's.

Trying to execute Thatcher maybe? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember a lot of people were delighted by the Warenpoint operation. When the PIRA took out 18 members of the notorious Parachute Regiment. You know, the same scum that ran amok in Derry on Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The IRA have apologised to all non-combatants killed and have cooperated fully in helping to find the disappeared.

Sinn Féin could lose their political respectability. There's a far cry from people "knowing" Gerry Adams was in the IRA on some vague level and him 1) admitting he was lying for thirty years and 2) implicating himself directly into some of the most emotive killings of the entire conflict. You can couple this then with IRA activity after the ceasefire emerging (certain robberies) and it would lead to a lot of egg on Adams' and other peoples' faces.

Sinn Féin have already had an uphill battle in countering years of propaganda and conditioned southern distate for Republicans associated with the northern conflict. They're not going to throw that away now with mad prospects like McGuinness admitting involvement in executing informers and all of that other grisly stuff.
    Plus a truth commission would take years, he would probably have stepped down as leader by the time it happened.

Sure that doesn't matter a jot, the one in South Africa featured people being wheeled out of nursing homes to detail killings in the 1950s. I'd also be sceptical of how many relevant Republicans would participate in one to be honest. Your location says South Armagh, there's a few people knocking around there who aren't household names who wouldn't speak to anyone about IRA activity in a million years. Never mind a public commission.
    The brits, loyalists, unionists and Free State government are the only ones with anything to lose.

Let's say for arguments sake that Adams was a senior IRA commander in Belfast in 1972 and directly ordered and organised the killing of Jean McConville. If, hypothetically, that was the case; could you honestly say he would have nothing to lose politically by admitting that in a public commission? Honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Unless of course, all that bluster up there is just the same old empty rhetoric people are rapidly getting tired of hearing whenever Sinn Fein challenge the government on something.

Can't believe even SF supporters are getting tired of listening to thier empty rhetoric.

I guess there's only so much 'burn the bondholders, abolish the property tax bollox' that even the most harded Shinner can take.

• Advertisement

Can't believe even SF supporters are getting tired of listening to thier empty rhetoric.

I guess there's only so much 'burn the bondholders, abolish the property tax bollox' that even the most harded Shinner can take.

Woah, I see what you did there, good one, you've changed my mind. I'm like, totally pro-austerity now.

Sinn Féin could lose their political respectability. There's a far cry from people "knowing" Gerry Adams was in the IRA on some vague level and him 1) admitting he was lying for thirty years and 2) implicating himself directly into some of the most emotive killings of the entire conflict. You can couple this then with IRA activity after the ceasefire emerging (certain robberies) and it would lead to a lot of egg on Adams' and other peoples' faces.

Sinn Féin have already had an uphill battle in countering years of propaganda and conditioned southern distate for Republicans associated with the northern conflict. They're not going to throw that away now with mad prospects like McGuinness admitting involvement in executing informers and all of that other grisly stuff.

Sure that doesn't matter a jot, the one in South Africa featured people being wheeled out of nursing homes to detail killings in the 1950s. I'd also be sceptical of how many relevant Republicans would participate in one to be honest. Your location says South Armagh, there's a few people knocking around there who aren't household names who wouldn't speak to anyone about IRA activity in a million years. Never mind a public commission.

Let's say for arguments sake that Adams was a senior IRA commander in Belfast in 1972 and directly ordered and organised the killing of Jean McConville. If, hypothetically, that was the case; could you honestly say he would have nothing to lose politically by admitting that in a public commission? Honestly?

That was just a whole pile of speculation and wink wink nudge nudge innuendo. THis is exactly why we need a truth commission. Republicans aren't afraid of it. if it's going to be so damaging to Sinn Fein then why doesn't everyone else step up and agree to it?

if it's going to be so damaging to Sinn Fein then why doesn't everyone else step up and agree to it?

Because as I said above, the Brits also have a sh*tload to lose from it. Everyone does, which is why there won't be one.

To be honest mate, you've completely brushed over the point I was making because you seem to have no answer for it.

If Gerry Adams was indeed involved in the IRA on a senior level would he: 1) admit he was lying for thirty years and 2) admit his role in organising infamous killings? Do you think Sinn Féin would "have nothing to lose" by dragging all of that up when they're trying to build political respectability in the south?

Because as I said above, the Brits also have a sh*tload to lose from it. Everyone does, which is why there won't be one.

To be honest mate, you've completely brushed over the point I was making because you seem to have no answer for it.

If Gerry Adams was indeed involved in the IRA on a senior level would he: 1) admit he was lying for thirty years and 2) admit his role in organising infamous killings? Do you think Sinn Féin would "have nothing to lose" by dragging all of that up when they're trying to build political respectability in the south?

On the contrary, that has already been answered. Firstly, if everyone "knows" he was in the IRA then an admittance will have no effect on his support. A few days of bluster from RTE, some smug looks from political opponents who think they've won something and then what? Nothing.
    I, like many Sinn Fein voters, couldnt care less if he was in the IRA or not. His "lying" over 30 years will be seen for what it was. A key proponent of the peace process not jeopardising the whole thing by getting himself thrown in jail to satisfy people who hate him anyway.

Your second point relies totally on the assumption that he has been involved in infamous killings. What exactly makes a killing infamous anyway? Do we now all agree that some were justified or were less awful than others? Surely this is implied anyway if he was indeed in the IRA. Death happens in war. It's awful but that's what war is. Adams didnt start the war and he did more than most to end it.

And thirdly no, if anything I think cooperating wholeheartedly with a truth and reconciliation commission could only further prove to people in the south considering voting for Sinn Fein that the party has moved on from the war, is keen to repair the hurt caused and felt and move on with the business of running the country.

And thirdly no, if anything I think cooperating wholeheartedly with a truth and reconciliation commission could only further prove to people in the south considering voting for Sinn Fein that the party has moved on from the war, is keen to repair the hurt caused and felt and move on with the business of running the country.

And robbing loads of print cartridges......

First of all I was active in Republican politics since I was 14 odd, you don't need to justify the IRA campaign or broader aspects of the struggle to me. However, the point isn't whether such acts were justified or not, it's whether Adams and co would politically benefit from having some very embarrassing skeletons marching out at a time when they're trying to rebrand themselves. They have as much to lose from the past emerging as anyone else involved in the conflict. In a conflict like the one we had in Ireland everyone's hands got dirty.
    Firstly, if everyone "knows" he was in the IRA then an admittance will have no effect on his support.

He will have admitted himself a liar for thirty years. A man who spent decades glossing over his relationship with the IRA would then have to declare himself a member of it's Army Council up until a few years ago. Which would then implicate him directly in robberies and killings that took place. It would be a can of worms to say the least.

"By the way lads, I was spoofing all along."

That may not turn off traditional Republicans, but it certainly would alienate large swathes of the people he is trying to attract.
    Your second point relies totally on the assumption that he has been involved in infamous killings.

If he was on the Army Council then by association he is partly responsible for everything the IRA did in some manner or form. Secondly he has already been accused of being involved in killing certain people by other Republicans, a truth commission may well see other issues emerge. And not just about him, but McGuinness and Ferris and umpteen others as well.
    Do we now all agree that some were justified or were less awful than others?

You're missing the point. McConville's killing and anything to do with it is a political stick with which SF are beaten. I'm not saying her death is more important, rather more politically prominent. And that's what we're discussing after all. They took McLaughlin off TV in the south for nearly a year after he refused to declare her killing a "crime"; can you imagine the likes of Adams or someone else being tied to it personally?

Not in a million years.

Yes, linking your most prominent members to a series of grisly killings and armed robberies that they previously denied involvement in would definitely endear you to the eyes of the public.

SF play the political game as much as any of the rest of them, and they wouldn't be stupid enough to open this Pandora's Box by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Drummuckavall, Derryard........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Fully intend to.

It's the duty of every upstanding citizen to expose the hypocrisy and lies of SF/IRA (and their supporters) when they appear on the airwaves seeking to sweep decades of murder, torture and racketeering under the carpet.

I hope you stand on a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

When the thread gets this childish, it's time to stop following it.

• Advertisement

When the thread gets this childish, it's time to stop following it.

It's funny and ironic, but despite all the murders and tortures carried out over the years, the Shinners seem to really hate the print cartridge issue being mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Fully intend to.

It's the duty of every upstanding citizen to expose the hypocrisy and lies of SF/IRA (and their supporters)

Give us a shout when you get around to the other showers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It's funny and ironic, but despite all the murders and tortures carried out over the years, the Shinners seem to really hate the print cartridge issue being mentioned.

As opposed to thousands of euro of a developers money landing in the account of the current fianna fail leaders wife?

.....zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Or FG ministers 'donating' thousands to charities, and their local GAA clubs.

Then claiming it back on expenses.

:cool:

.....zzzzzzzzzzzz
    As opposed to thousands of euro of a developers money landing in the account of the current fianna fail leaders wife?
    SamHall wrote: »
    Or FG ministers 'donating' thousands to charities, and their local GAA clubs.

Then claiming it back on expenses.

:cool:

C'mon now lads - if you're going to defend the murderers, you should have a thicker skin about 'Cartridge-gate'

• Advertisement

C'mon now lads - if you're going to defend the murderers, you should have a thicker skin about 'Cartridge-gate'

There's nothing to have thick skin about. A TD used government cartridges. Granted, quite a lot, but is that really all you have. It was over a year ago as well and at no point did he break any laws or Dail rules.
    I mean this is just sad. That's all you have to pull out of the bag?
    If this had been a TD from any other party it would have been forgotten about the minute the news report was over.
    But hey, go ahead grasping at those straws if it makes you feel better.
    It's probably your "duty" as a fine "upstanding citizen."

We're not too bothered Frankie baby, we know you'll have forgotten it all in a generation and be happily voting SF just like you are now voting for people who are descended from those who did the exact same.
    You know what they say about 'last laughs'! :D

I mean this is just sad. That's all you have to pull out of the bag

And yet it always gets a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Attention seeker are ye?

Madam wrote: »
    Attention seeker are ye?

Now I feel guiltier than a Sinn Finn TD with a pocketful of print cartridges.

• Advertisement

Its really annoying when people who couldnt care less about anyone in Northern Ireland whether Protestant or Roman Catholic use what the Provos did during the Troubles to score political points against Sinn Fein because they dont like their policies today in the 26. Im not accusing you of it-but it does happen. People on both sides suffered terribly during because of the troubles so please be careful of coming across as if you are doing that.

Its really annoying when people who couldnt care less about anyone in Northern Ireland whether Protestant or Roman Catholic use what the Provos did during the Troubles to score political points against Sinn Fein because they dont like their policies today in the 26.

I have already got a warning for accusing someone of trolling this week, so I'm not going to accuse him of it because I have learned my lesson.

I have already got a warning for accusing someone of trolling this week, so I'm not going to accuse him of it because I have learned my lesson.

Im not sure if he is doing that for certain but the way Enda keeps bringing up the PIRA in the Dail when the debate has nothing to do with it really, really annoys me- I had several members of my killed by the PIRA during the troubles (all but one where members of the RUC so they themselves were involved in the conflict) and the fact that he can make light of Irish people's death in such a way I find personally insulting.

Its really annoying when people who couldnt care less about anyone in Northern Ireland whether Protestant or Roman Catholic use what the Provos did during the Troubles to score political points against Sinn Fein because they dont like their policies today in the 26. Im not accusing you of it-but it does happen. People on both sides suffered terribly during because of the troubles so please be careful of coming across as if you are doing that.

Well, allow me to clear that up for you.
    I don't really give a **** about Nordieland or any of its inhabitants, I'd be happy if it could be towed a few 100miles into the Atlantic tbh.
    But when former paramilitaries, murders and their apologists seek to assume power in my Republic, I will discredit their mealy-mouthed words at every opportunity.
    Sorry if this annoys you, but you can always add me to your ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I don't really give a **** about Nordieland or any of its inhabitants, I'd be happy if it could be towed a few 100miles into the Atlantic tbh.
    But when former paramilitaries, murders and their apologists seek to assume power in my Republic, I will discredit their mealy-mouthed words at every opportunity.

It's your republic?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Happyman42 wrote: »
    We're not too bothered Frankie baby, we know you'll have forgotten it all in a generation and be happily voting SF just like you are now voting for people who are descended from those who did the exact same.
    You know what they say about 'last laughs'! :D

Sure Enda Kenny's father was a notorious bomber, was't he?

Wait, sorry, I meant famous GAA player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

On a message board where you can post anonymously, you go girl show them who's boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There's nothing to have thick skin about. A TD used government cartridges. Granted, quite a lot, but is that really all you have. It was over a year ago as well and at no point did he break any laws or Dail rules.
    I mean this is just sad. That's all you have to pull out of the bag?
    If this had been a TD from any other party it would have been forgotten about the minute the news report was over.
    But hey, go ahead grasping at those straws if it makes you feel better.
    It's probably your "duty" as a fine "upstanding citizen."

People go on about that, instead of the 'disappeared' or 'spectaculars' because it exposes the hypocrisy of a party that claims to be a 'true socialist' clan that only takes the average industrial wage, steals from the rich, gives to the poor hogwash.

It was an unusual slip up for a party so taken up with secrecy and spin. I mean, who cares if they fleece the British government or the EU for expenses? But since they no longer officially consider the Dail to be the political representation of the pro-treaty side (and thus the enemy), they shouldn't be attempting to fleece the Irish public in the same fashion, whilst simultaneously calling out Fianna Fail for the same sort of thing.

Sure Enda Kenny's father was a notorious bomber, was't he?

Wait, sorry, I meant famous GAA player.

Possibly the only member of the Kenny family to have balls. ;)

Ah so I was right.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    On a message board where you can post anonymously, you go girl show them who's boss.

Oh, I've a life outside the Internet too - I assure you, some of us do - and I never mind sharing my opinion.

BTW, your use of 'girl' as an insult is peculiar, and says a lot about you.

Oh, I've a life outside the Internet too - I assure you, some of us do - and I never mind sharing my opinion.

And your view of the 'inhabitants' of N.I. says a lot about you and your IQ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Battle of St Matthew's for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Defending St Matthew's.

Exactly a lot of people like to paint the Provos as mindless killing psychopaths. Perhaps some where but most seemed like decent people dictated to what a lot of people in the western world would see as a just cause.

Obviously some of their actions were indefensible but out of every side in the conflict I think the provos were the less ruthless ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Whatever were RTE and Prime time thinking about?
    Giving unnecessary air time to Gerry Adams?....
    The country is in a mess, who gives a stuff about Gerry Adams?

Whatever were RTE and Prime time thinking about?
    Giving unnecessary air time to Gerry Adams?....
    The country is in a mess, who gives a stuff about Gerry Adams?

Ya lets give Micheal martin more air time, he will know how to fix the country.

Oh wait....

Ah so I was right.

Only about me not really giving a **** about the Nordies.

You're wrong about everything else. People in the Republic are quite entitled to use the provos actions during the 'Troubles' as a reason for not wanting their political mouthpieces seeking to assume power in our State - especially given their murdourous actions were not confined to NI.

If you think that you need to be from NI and to have directly suffured as a result of thier actions before you can comment - then no, you're completely wrong actually.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Possibly the only member of the Kenny family to have balls. ;)

Yeah, takes real balls to plant a bomb and run off.

That Boston bomber - he really had balls.
    The IRA planting bombs in pubs - really brave - such heroes.

Maybe we could commission a few statues or name some bridges after them.

After all - they really had balls didn't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ya lets give Micheal martin more air time, he will know how to fix the country.

Oh wait....

Michael Martin? Doubt he was a member of the IRA. Certain he was not out planting bombs and killing innocent civilians.:)

Gerry Adams ,it is time to stop hiding behind the clap trap!

I don't vote FF, for sure I will never vote for the Shinners :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Really hope the Shinners hang onto Adams as leader for as long as possible - he's such an electoral liability for them.
    We're about 4/5 years into the worst recession in living memory and they're still hovering aroun 15%.
    Obviously their massive failure politically isn't all down to Adams, hopefully there's enough right-thinking people in the country to ensure they're never let near the levers of power in this Republic (we've all seen what they'll do when given the keys of a stationary cabinet) - but Adams is probably dragging them down an extra few percent all on his own.
    14 - wow!

That's like almost 10%!

Considering most of the people who vote for them are 'radical students' enjoying a bit of protest politics before settling down and unemployed barstool republicans -I wouldn't be bragging about it too much.
    Fully intend to.

Now I feel guiltier than a Sinn Finn TD with a pocketful of print cartridges.

Only about me not really giving a **** about the Nordies.

You're wrong about everything else. People in the Republic are quite entitled to use the provos actions during the 'Troubles' as a reason for not wanting their political mouthpieces seeking to assume power in our State - especially given their murdourous actions were not confined to NI.

If you think that you need to be from NI and to have directly suffured as a result of thier actions before you can comment - then no, you're completely wrong actually.
    Yeah, takes real balls to plant a bomb and run off.

That Boston bomber - he really had balls.
    The IRA planting bombs in pubs - really brave - such heroes.

Maybe we could commission a few statues or name some bridges after them.

After all - they really had balls didn't they.

Why don't you start a blog so your ****e opinions can be contained and ignored.

Good lad.

Advertisement