Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

tdv123 wrote: »
    Exactly a lot of people like to paint the Provos as mindless killing psychopaths. Perhaps some where but most seemed like decent people dictated to what a lot of people in the western world would see as a just cause.

Obviously some of their actions were indefensible but out of every side in the conflict I think the provos were the less ruthless ones.

What is less ruthless than killing innocent civilians?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah, takes real balls to plant a bomb and run off.

That Boston bomber - he really had balls.
    The IRA planting bombs in pubs - really brave - such heroes.

Maybe we could commission a few statues or name some bridges after them.

After all - they really had balls didn't they.

In a state founded on uprisings and revolutions, this post stinks of naivety tbh.

Should we rename Collins barracks for example?

Pearse street?

Connolly station?

You've (presumably) no problem with the British army then?

Bunch of fairies right?

Why don't you start a blog so your ****e opinions can be contained and ignored.

Good lad.

Think your post is a bit unfair. Mr. Black has made some valuable points.;)

SamHall wrote: »
    You've (presumably) no problem with the British army then?

Bunch of fairies right?

They were a legal security force .:)

• Advertisement

They were a legal security force .:)

Ah, ok.

So that made bloody Sunday (as a tiny example) justifiable, seeing as they were a 'legal security force' :confused:

SamHall wrote: »
    Ah, ok.

So that made bloody Sunday (as a tiny example) justifiable, seeing as they were a 'legal security force' :confused:

Mmmmmmm..............

But it is acceptable to blow up innocent propel in Omagh, Enniskillen , need I go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Why don't you start a blog so your ****e opinions can be contained and ignored.

Good lad.

Guess you categorise opinions you don't agree with as '****e', and you're really doing a great job of post stalking them, sorry, I mean ignoring them.
    Well excuse me while I cry into my cornflakes - you've really gone and hurt my feelings now.

Loving the 'Good Lad' bit - always a sign of desperation when that's pulled out - must try it myself.

Now, why don't you toddle off and sing some rebel songs?
    Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Guess you categorise opinions you don't agree with as '****e', and you're really doing a great job of post stalking them, sorry, I mean ignoring them.
    Well excuse me while I cry into my cornflakes - you've really gone and hurt my feelings now.

Loving the 'Good Lad' bit - always a sign of desperation when that's pulled out - must try it myself.

Good lad.

I always get a good laugh when on after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Think your post is a bit unfair. Mr. Black has made some valuable points.;)

He's in a thread mouthing off that he doesn't give a shite about 'nordies' where there'll be northern folk and people who care about northern folk and the northern issue. It's a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

F*ckin go Gerry. One Island, One party, One leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yeah, takes real balls to plant a bomb and run off.

That Boston bomber - he really had balls.
    The IRA planting bombs in pubs - really brave - such heroes.

Maybe we could commission a few statues or name some bridges after them.

After all - they really had balls didn't they.

It is a difficult thing to do, to decide that a campaign of terror is the only way to free your people. Millions have done it all over the world, generally to get rid of discriminating, murderous and exploitative regimes.
    It does take balls, it also takes balls to know when to do a deal and end your campaign and end it properly. Gob****es all over the world heroize and lionize these people without ever knowing just what they where engaged in, they just luxuriate in the freedoms won and spout from the high moral ground. :rolleyes: Had Michael & Enda's & Eamonn's predecessors(who engaged in exactly the same thing as the IRA) not abandoned their fellow countrymen and actively colluded in subduing them and ignoring them, there wouldn't have been a need for civil rights protestors and consequently the modern IRA.

Well I guess we may all be going a bit off topic here?

Cheers:)

Good lad.

Tosspot.

He's in a thread mouthing off that he doesn't give a shite about 'nordies' where there'll be northern folk and people who care about northern folk and the northern issue. It's a bit odd.

Won't somebody think of the Nordies?
    Why some innocent wee little IRA apologist might stumble in here and read some nasty man's opinions and think that everyone doesn't love him anymore.

So let's just clear this up - you can't post that you don't give a ****e about Nordies in case some Nordies read it?

Got that everyone?

They're a sensitive lot - especially the provos - wouldn't want to hurt their feelings would we?

Why some innocent wee little IRA apologist might stumble in here and read some nasty man's opinions and think that everyone doesn't love him anymore.

So let's just clear this up - you can't post that you don't give a ****e about Nordies in case some Nordies read it?

Got that everyone?

They're a sensitive lot - especially the provos - wouldn't want to hurt their feelings would we?

Tosspot.

herp derpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Got that everyone?

You know that that reads that all people from Northern Ireland are provos or provo sympathisers. :confused:

Spade. Hole. Stop digging. :pac:

fangee wrote: »
    Tosspot.

Better get a move on or you'll be late for school.

You're 12, right?

You're 12, right?

Tosspot.

• Advertisement

fangee wrote: »
    F*ckin go Gerry. One Island, One party, One leader.

You have to be joking. If Gerry and the Cartridgemen were in Power, Ireland would become a complete economic basket case. There would be no property tax, no water charges, no inward investment.
    People of any substance would simply pack up and leave, which would result in less Revenue and unemployment would sky rocket.
    Ah yes just what the country needs at this stage:)

Got that everyone?

All partitionist southerners are asked to do is to sit back and let the those who care fix the mess that their ancestors made. You are asked to try and educate yourselves and to care for real people. Let those, who can't stand back, get the aggressors to the negotiating table and you guys just countersign the deal. We don't mind you taking all the credit but it is like an annoying wasp to listen to your stupid onesided moralising.

Mr. Black has made some valuable points.;)

It's hard to see the sweetcorn for the shite. :D

Got that everyone?

Can you clarify for me.

What's your problem with people from the north?

You realise a sizeable portion(approx 50%) of them class themselves as Irish citizens, no less Irish than you (presuming you're Irish).

I've just been infracted. Seemingly Frank is not a tosspot. So in future tosspot = great guy.

You're 12, right?

Great guy.

Have a good day folks!:)

Well, guess I better stop posting before my infraction turns into a ban.

I'm sure you guys will manage fine on your own, reminiscing about the brave bomber boys, the knee-cappings, the bank robberies, drug dealing and all the other stuff that showed real 'balls'.

Don't forget to keep thanking each other's posts now. If you keep validating yourselves on here you won't have to think about how much of a minority opinion you hold in the real world will you?
    Always amazes me the bang of Shinner off AH sometimes - thankfully it's not very representative of society in general.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It is a difficult thing to do, to decide that a campaign of terror is the only way to free your people. Millions have done it all over the world, generally to get rid of discriminating, murderous and exploitative regimes.
    It does take balls, it also takes balls to know when to do a deal and end your campaign and end it properly. Gob****es all over the world heroize and lionize these people without ever knowing just what they where engaged in, they just luxuriate in the freedoms won and spout from the high moral ground. :rolleyes: Had Michael & Enda's & Eamonn's predecessors(who engaged in exactly the same thing as the IRA) not abandoned their fellow countrymen and actively colluded in subduing them and ignoring them, there wouldn't have been a need for civil rights protestors and consequently the modern IRA.

All partitionist southerners are asked to do is to sit back and let the those who care fix the mess that their ancestors made. You are asked to try and educate yourselves and to care for real people. Let those, who can't stand back, get the aggressors to the negotiating table and you guys just countersign the deal. We don't mind you taking all the credit but it is like an annoying wasp to listen to your stupid onesided moralising.

Okay, that's fine, you just laid it all out on the table.

The anti-treaty side should have won the war, and the unionists should have been thrown into the sea, with Ireland taking back the six counties that had been stolen from her by the proddies.

Failing that, the IRA's campaign of terror was wholly justified because they were willing to negotiate if they got what they wanted. If history has taught us anything it is that the ends always justify the means.

We all know that the civil rights movements the world over would have failed had they not bombed civilians, kidnapped, robbed, ambushed and racketeered their way to the negotiating table and power. You see, where Al'Qaeda was wrong was not in the campaign that they waged, but the fact that they have not succeeded in their primary objective of freeing the Middle East and Asia from the shackles of American imperialism.

This lesson in moralistic dualism was brought to you by the continuity movement.

• Advertisement

Well, guess I better stop posting before my infraction turns into a ban.

I'm sure you guys will manage fine on your own, reminiscing about the brave bomber boys, the knee-cappings, the bank robberies, drug dealing and all the other stuff that showed real 'balls'.

Don't forget to keep thanking each other's posts now. If you keep validating yourselves on here you won't have to think about how much of a minority opinion you hold in the real world will you?
    Always amazes me the bang of Shinner off AH sometimes - thankfully it's not very representative of society in general.

Great guy.

Okay, that's fine, you just laid it all out on the table.

The anti-treaty side should have won the war, and the unionists should have been thrown into the sea, with Ireland taking back the six counties that had been stolen from her by the proddies.

Failing that, the IRA's campaign of terror was wholly justified because they were willing to negotiate if they got what they wanted. If history has taught us anything it is that the ends always justify the means.

We all know that the civil rights movements the world over would have failed had they not bombed civilians, kidnapped, robbed, ambushed and racketeered their way to the negotiating table and power. You see, where Al'Qaeda was wrong was not in the campaign that they waged, but the fact that they have not succeeded in their primary objective of freeing the Middle East and Asia from the shackles of American imperialism.

This lesson in moralistic dualism was brought to you by the continuity movement.

Another great guy.

It's back to the books for you too. :rolleyes:

It's back to the books for you too. :rolleyes:

Only had I used the perfect tense or the ironic tone not been so heavy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I honestly get the impression that a lot of southern partitionists not only dont care about "nordies" but dont care about about anything outside of what they narrowly define as their own self-interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I honestly get the impression that a lot of southern partitionists not only dont care about "nordies" but dont care about about anything outside of what they narrowly define as their own self-interest.

True, it's not that they don't care about you, it's just that there is so much going on in their own country . . . .

NI as part of the UK does its own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I used to care a lot more. But when the "Nordies" kept calling us partitionists and Free Staters, I decided they're better off on their own. :D

Decades of going around in circles can wear you down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There is something so primitive and depressing about Sinn Féin.

old hippy wrote: »

Decades of going around in circles can wear you down a bit.

You say that despite what has happened in this country since the GFA? Incredible.

Only a partitionist mentality would come out with some of the bluster (which is only indulged in to mask the fact that they do indeed care that the past is going to catch up very soon) and incitement you see on this very thread. If they really didn't care they would be here onthread at all.

You say that despite what has happened in this country since the GFA? Incredible.

Only a partitionist mentality would come out with some of the bluster (which is only indulged in to mask the fact that they do indeed care that the past is going to catch up very soon) and incitement you see on this very thread. If they really didn't care they would be here onthread at all.

Oh the GFA was a huge step forward but there's generations of bitterness and mistrust to be bred out of that country. I can't ever see them becoming part of Ireland, now. It would be like oil on water. Chalk and cheese.

I used to think different but reading the cyclical arguments from nationalists and unionists alike, I find it depressing and one day, I came to the epiphany that Ireland is already united. The Republic is 26 counties.

The 6 counties; of course I wish well in the future. I hope they do well. They don't really fit into the Republic or the UK, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Oh the GFA was a huge step forward but there's generations of bitterness and mistrust to be bred out of that country. I can't ever see them becoming part of Ireland, now. It would be like oil on water. Chalk and cheese.

I used to think different but reading the cyclical arguments from nationalists and unionists alike, I find it depressing and one day, I came to the epiphany that Ireland is already united. The Republic is 26 counties.

The 6 counties; of course I wish well in the future. I hope they do well. They don't really fit into the Republic or the UK, though.

The flower power people never did think, They just floated along.

• Advertisement

Then you are a 'partitionist', plain and simple, no insult. Stand up and be proud of it at least, I use the term without intending to insult.

The flower power people never did think, They just floated along.

That's a tragedy. Because it's an insanely complex situation, although I can imagine people tuning out when they've been subjected to decades of it.

Incidentally, I count a SF councillor amongst my friends, I have family from the North, from both "sides" and have interviewed plenty of NI politicians in the past. Some of whom were very erudite and affable, which all goes to show - people shouldn't make assumptions.

Then you are a 'partitionist', plain and simple, no insult. Stand up and be proud of it at least, I use the term without intending to insult.

I'm a human being. I don't (or at least I try not to) do labels. I believe in Ireland, the Republic and that's it. Whilst I sympathise for those in the other country, north of our border, they have to work it out for themselves. They don't need our interference, nor those in Westminster.

I believe in Ireland,

..only partly. ;)

..only partly. ;)

If you say so. I'll always be Irish, of course and I'll always be fond of the place but this insistence by some to chose sides/politics/beliefs... it's tired me out over the years.

Back on topic, I'll give Gerry Adams the benefit of the doubt. Miriam is very much yesterday's news, in terms of cutting edge media, so her treatment of the man doesn't surprise me. That said, I haven't seen the interview yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

..only partly. ;)
    He didn't say he was talking about the island. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Name one war in history were innocent civilians haven't been killed?

If you look at the %'s of civilians killed by the IRA it's the smallest of the belligerents during the conflict the IRA had the smallest amount by a good bit, with Loyalists murderer squads being by far the highest around 85-90% of the people they killed were civilians.

Mmmmmmm..............

But it is acceptable to blow up innocent propel in Omagh, Enniskillen , need I go on?

That was not the provisionals. That was a splinter group who had little support from the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ironic thread on the day we have fianna fail politicians having running gun battles on the streets of our country!

Ironic thread on the day we have fianna fail politicians having running gun battles on the streets of our country!

It's turning into a good debate tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement