Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i dispose of felled tree

• 29-04-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, was wondering if anybody could help. I cut down a good chunk of a massive tree and various smaller ones in the back garden at the weekend. Have a massive pile of branches etc about 8 foot long and 6 foot high. Anyone help me out and let me know the cheapest, efficient way of disposing of these. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

chris1986 wrote: »
    Hi, was wondering if anybody could help. I cut down a good chunk of a massive tree and various smaller ones in the back garden at the weekend. Have a massive pile of branches etc about 8 foot long and 6 foot high. Anyone help me out and let me know the cheapest, efficient way of disposing of these. Thanks.

No open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chris1986

thought about it but far too much hassle, want rid. No chainsaw so it was painful enough getting them down without having to chop them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭87pio

Where abouts are you?

beaumont dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭87pio

I know about a place in Coolock, and one near Maynooth. Mulch.ie is the first one. The other one hasn't got a website but I can PM his number if needed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How thick are the branches??

What diameter??

Mulch.ie looks perfect, any idea how much they charge? Diameter wise I would say the biggest is about 15cm not that many of them though. Monster of a tree I just took down bits of it that was blocking light.

Mulch.ie looks perfect, any idea how much they charge? Diameter wise I would say the biggest is about 15cm not that many of them though. Monster of a tree I just took down bits of it that was blocking light.

They will drop by your house in their truck and give you a price there and then when they see how much material they have to dispose of.

Then its up to you,if you wish to have them remove it.

We have used Mulch before for their screened/sterilized topsoil and compost.

A very good company to deal with IMO.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

a small chainsaw can be had in lidl or aldi for about 50quid,chop it up and you'll heat somebody's house for the winter

You could hire out a chipper machine from Sam Hire in Santry or JW Hire in Coolock and turn the smaller branches into lovely fresh bark mulch for your gardens and/or family members gardens.

Hire it out on a Friday and you will get to keep it till the following Tuesday (Monday is bank holiday).

But you only pay for the Friday.:)

• Advertisement

a small chainsaw can be had in lidl or aldi for about 50quid,chop it up and you'll heat somebody's house for the winter

It wouldnt be usable for this comming winter.

You would need to season/air dry it for at least a full year (even longer) so that the moisture content is reduced enough for it to burn properly as firewod.:)

50 euro??......Not a hope.

70 euro...electric

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-9B0251DA-161CF798/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_29487.htm

99 euro....petrol
    Aldi in Balymun still, have some of these in stock as of last weekend

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23173.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Throw it up on Freecycle or jumbletown, people are always looking for firewood and you get to get rid of it without any cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find these guy http://www.greenking.ie/ s the cheapest €10 for a caddy van full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Invest in a chainsaw and cut up for firewood. Keep it or sell it, much better that paying someone to take it away and make money on your hardwork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    It wouldnt be usable for this comming winter.
    depends on what sort of wood it is. i've burned leylandii less than a year after it was felled, and it was like a torch.
    you have to watch out for the sap, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

depends on what sort of wood it is. i've burned leylandii less than a year after it was felled, and it was like a torch.
    you have to watch out for the sap, though.
    The sapwood is great, like an extra powerful firelighter.
    Make it into kindling and there is no wood it won't burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I got rid of a load of trees on adverts for free firewood. All gone in a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

I can come over Sat or Sunday, I will cut into 4ft lengths and take away for free
    pm me.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. All rid of now, someone came over to collect the larger bits for firewood. I filled a van load with the brush leaves etc and brought it to tullys nursery in Skerries, which cost 60.
    More of the tree does need to go however and if anyone is comfortable using a chainsaw at 20-30 odd feet and needs firewood your very welcome to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement