Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persian

• 29-04-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a Persian cat, do they shed, how are they with kids and what's their temperament etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yes they would shed quite a bit, any cat other than rex breeds or sphynx do shed, generally they have a very laid back temperment, make sure you source a good breeder who does all the required health checks!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Cheers, is one of those cats you mentioned include short hair cats. The last thing I want is cat hair all over the house. Is there anything I can do to help with the shedding of hair. What type of money am I looking at and how will I know a good breeder.

Yes, devon rex or cornish rex are both short hair, selkirk rex is long hair (I don't know how these are with shedding), Sphynx are hairless. To help cut down on shedding they would require daily brushing, this will also help cut down on matting and hairballs. Money wise it all depends on the quality of the cat, but generally you get what you pay for. Good breeders will have no problem letting you visit the premises and seeing the conditions of the cats, they will give you a lifetime guarantee and support with the cat, they will have done all relevant breed health checks (not just a once over in the vets, actual screening for genetic diseases). Usually kittens will either come neutered or with a neutering contract that you will guarantee that you will neuter once they reach the correct age. If you like the look of the persian but prefer short hair cats, exotic shorthair would be the breed you're looking for. Here is a list of breeders I found online, I'm sure you would find more with a bit of searching.

http://themidlandcatclubofireland.weebly.com/breeders.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

British Blue/British Shorthair are also low to non shed. Very placid and great in families. They love company, but do like their own space too.

Also to say, if you really want a purebred cat you should go to some cat shows and talk to breeders and meet the cats, there would be no one better to advise you than the owners themselves!

• Advertisement

generally they have a very laid back temperment,

Until its time to groom. I know 3 that need to be sedated, my boss has one too and that goes nuts when its time to groom.

Until its time to groom. I know 3 that need to be sedated, my boss has one too and that goes nuts when its time to groom.

Yeah that's true, I've had to groom several under general anaesthetic because their owners can't be bothered grooming and would rather have them knocked out and shaved every few months, this isn't acceptable. It was horrible :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yeah that's true, I've had to groom several under general anaesthetic because their owners can't be bothered grooming and would rather have them knocked out and shaved every few months, this isn't acceptable. It was horrible :(
    Wait until they get a Sphynx and need to bath kitty every week instead (they can be quite loud when they set their mind to it!)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nody wrote: »
    Wait until they get a Sphynx and need to bath kitty every week instead (they can be quite loud when they set their mind to it!)...

Ha ha! I hear THAT!! I helped a friend to bathe hers once. Wondered why she asked me to come with a thick jumper and handed me a pair of heavy duty black rubber gloves. I found out -quick!!! :D

Advertisement