Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed - but properties still listed on Daft/MyHome, etc.

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

About a month ago, my partner and I approached an Estate Agent asking to view 3 properties on his books, as per Daft/MyHome.
    The agent advised us that 2 of the 3 properties had offers accepted on them and were therefore off the market !
    Yet these properties still remain "for sale" on the above websites and also on the EA's own site as of this weekend ?
    It is understandable that the property is deemed not to be sold until contract signed off etc, but at least something should appear on the websites indicating "offer accepted" or " sale agreed" ie... something that would save a lot of hassle for weary househunters chasing their tails searching out properties which are not really available for a bid etc ??
    Any comments or theories why this practice is pursued ?.
    In fairness to some EA's, from time to time you will seee " sale agreed" etc but not in the case of the properties we had on our radar !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A good estate agent would usually update it with a "Sale Agreed" sign on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Get a friend to call the EA and ask about them and see if he still claims theyre sale agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It gives an illusion of higher property prices above actual achieved prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I've noticed one or two properties still on the site (daft/myhome) with an '*** update sale agreed ***' caption and also the agreed asking price which I thought was unusual. Another one with updated with the latest offer on the house too. Must be trying some new tactics I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

It seems to vary from agent to agent. I know one house in my area that's been "Sale Agreed" for weeks but is still listed as available on MyHome ... and another one with a different agent which is "Sale Agreed" according to the sign in the garden and is gone from MyHome.

I thought maybe the agent of the first house was leaving it as it was so people would click on it and they'd get free advertising or something, but it's so irritating I guess it would turn people off them.

Does anyone what is the pricing/payment system with these sites? Might shed some light on why they don't bother to update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Also, just noticed that the house my friend moved into 1 month ago is still "Sale Agreed" on Property.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We've been looking at houses for a couple of months now and I've found quite a few that are listed as 'available' on Daft and MyHome and when we call we are told they are sale agreed. I'd say it would be nearly 20% of the places we call about.

At first I thought it was so they could garner interest in other properties on their books and once or twice they've tried to flog another property our way but the majority just say, 'sorry it's sale agreed' and hang up.

It is ridiculously frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

I spoke to an EA about this recently to be told that when it's a Bank sale they tend to instruct the EA to keep the property ad up until contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i love ads that say "under offer" as if we all should run quickly and beat the offer...........

Also hate houses for sale that in reality will never sell due to the owner not being realistic or wanting to sell....

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. There is no complaints structure on these websites (myhome.ie, daft.ie) and says nothing in the policies for advertisers that property should be marked as such.

(edit: Aside from this, which is a bit vague 'Only current and available properties are to be advertised in the general listings and all details on these properties are to be updated by the user.')

It should. It definitely should! We had decided to widen our search recently and found a place in Drumcondra late Friday evening. It seems like the perfect house for us. Called but the Agents were finished for the day, so left a message. Called Saturday, no answer so left a message. No sign of anything this morning, so said I would leave it a while. Called 20 minutes ago, and I'm told the property is Sale agreed!

I've been in the same boat before and know how frustrating and disappointing it is, so told the agent that sometimes properties are listed as 'sale agreed' in the description just to let people know. He informed me his company don't list sale agreed until its actually sold!

I've asked advice from friends and family on this property and wasted a fair bit of time calling. I don't think it's right.

Where is the complaints structure? I understand the main sites were created BY estate agents, and it's clear FOR estate agents. Not for the families and couples using them.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I know of a house still advertised on Daft for the initial amount it was asking about 3/4 years ago and it has been sold for half that price about a year ago.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Whilst the house we bought a month ago isnt showing on Daft/my home anymore, it is still showing on the EA website as for sale.

Should i flag it to the EA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Click report ad.
    One of the options is 'No longer available / price changed'.
    Enter comment if you want to
    Hit submit

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Click report ad.
    One of the options is 'No longer available / price changed'.
    Enter comment if you want to
    Hit submit

Where is that on myhome.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Where is that on myhome.ie
    I don't think that myhomes has that facility, but Daft certainly do, as I've used it on numerous occasions.

Myhomes also seem to have a lot of misleading prices in the titles - 255 for a house? probably 255k or, i thought maybe it was rent per week. But very annoying to find this.

I also note that there are still a large number of properties for sale without a BER rating. EAs should not advertize these properties.

Witthout a doubt, EAs still have a lot to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I posted the original in this thread back on 29th April'13.
    Of the 3 properties mentioned there, 2 still remain for sale on Daft, despite being told same agreed /offer accepted then ?
    And EA's complain about getting bad press ???
    Waste of time for all concerned both chasing such properties and EA's having to answer queries about the same properties.
    I think if I made an offer and same was accepted I would be making it a condition that the property would be withdrawn from websites or at least marked as offer under consideration/sale agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You don't pay to use any of these sites, so I don't think any complaints submitted will receive any attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Daft are usually pretty good at responding to reported ads. I don't visit myhone regularly so don't know what they're like

Advertisement