Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox illumiroom ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

hope theirs a way to turn it off :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Of course there is, you need the projector to run it, and the Kinect sensor - I would assume that not using this means it is off.

It looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,005 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's fun but the entry level requirement with hardware and the fact that it's a bit of a gimmick means it more than likely won't take off.

Less projected AR and more real VR please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Of course there is, you need the projector to run it, and the Kinect sensor - I would assume that not using this means it is off.

It looks great!

hope so
    because if theirs not, i would get the ps4, and im an xbox guy
    it would be more distracting then anything else
    when your playing a game your zoned into the screen not into the surroundings so its kinda pointless adding it in, i think it would be more of a gimmick for small children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

No need to get into a panic about "This has to be able to be switched off on the new Xbox, or I'm moving to PS4" ... It's a Microsoft Research project, and MS have said that "Illumiroom isn't yet ready for next Xbox, but will get public demo in July".

The technology is an excellent concept for further immersion in games and video - the warp or snow effect is quite stunning, even a simple trick like the ball rolling from the screen off the table onto the floor is fun to see.

But it's not something that we will need to worry about this year, or next, the hardware just isn't there at the moment to make it at all affordable or practical as a consumer device (they're hanging a Kinect of a blooming big projector - it's really not going to go well in an Irish sitting room :)).

It's something that would be worth watching for the future - but not today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I'd be interested in this. Would wonder what the power consumption would be like on a projector like that.

Would be quite cool if this was used for movies

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Would a standard projector not do the same job?? Apart from all the snowy stuff etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

No need to get into a panic about "This has to be able to be switched off on the new Xbox, or I'm moving to PS4" ... It's a Microsoft Research project, and MS have said that "Illumiroom isn't yet ready for next Xbox, but will get public demo in July".

The technology is an excellent concept for further immersion in games and video - the warp or snow effect is quite stunning, even a simple trick like the ball rolling from the screen off the table onto the floor is fun to see.

But it's not something that we will need to worry about this year, or next, the hardware just isn't there at the moment to make it at all affordable or practical as a consumer device (they're hanging a Kinect of a blooming big projector - it's really not going to go well in an Irish sitting room :)).

It's something that would be worth watching for the future - but not today.

This.

If they do ever manage to perfect this the possibilities are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Would a standard projector not do the same job?? Apart from all the snowy stuff etc

It would have to have a sensor to actually know what to and where to display.

Only problem I see with this is placement. Not going to have it the coffee table. There's generally not enough space behind the couch unless your lucky to have a massive house.

Only place sensible enough would be ceiling mounted (to much hassle)

I just can't see this going anywhere in a way that it wouldn't get in the way with a long annoying wire...

There's lots of questions about where and how to fit it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The projector just needs to be somewhere approximately where the player/ viewer is so just stick it on a big pole behind your sofa. Of course they need improvements with the projectors and the cost of everything first, but will be cool when/ if it comes out...or whatever other new gadgetry the ideas they come up with for this change into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It would have to have a sensor to actually know what to and where to display.

Only problem I see with this is placement. Not going to have it the coffee table. There's generally not enough space behind the couch unless your lucky to have a massive house.

Only place sensible enough would be ceiling mounted (to much hassle)

I just can't see this going anywhere in a way that it wouldn't get in the way with a long annoying wire...

There's lots of questions about where and how to fit it.
    I think that's one of the main reasons why it is not yet ready for mainstream or consumer markets. However, in a few years when the Kinect technology has improved and miniaturised and could be included in a pico projector (that technology which will also have improved in the mean-time) - it could really be something that takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

This looks fantastic. I would definitely go for this plus I already have a projector.

Advertisement