Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA comments

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

13. “That Conference demands that management strictly enforces the regulations regarding the use of garda reserve as observer in patrol cars”.
    (Division 12 Tipperary)

Given all that is happening the GRA still have time to mention the Reserve in its agenda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Raider190 wrote: »
    13. “That Conference demands that management strictly enforces the regulations regarding the use of garda reserve as observer in patrol cars”.
    (Division 12 Tipperary)

Given all that is happening the GRA still have time to mention the Reserve in its agenda.

Ye can't thank Galway div for raising recruitment !!!! 😛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

(Division 12 Tipperary)

Eh. What's that even meant to mean ? Are the reserves driving the cars down in Tipp !

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

msg11 wrote: »
    Eh. What's that even meant to mean ? Are the reserves driving the cars down in Tipp !

I assume that they are objecting to the fact that when a unit is short of numbers the only way to have an additional mobile unit out is to have a regular member driving and a reserve member in the left hand seat. Typical, they are not worried that members and the community would be at risk due to the lack of another car on mobile patrol. In my experience an official driver would not allow a reserve member to be an observer if he or she was not confident in their reserve colleagues abilities to do the job.
    Perhaps one day we will see a GRA Conference Agenda without a mention of the Garda Reserve and they can concentrate on real issues and the sole purpose of their exsistence 'To Champion the causes of their fee paying members'.
    If they had a proactive approach they would realise that every single reserve member and that number at the moment is 1247 is fully supportive of their full time colleagues in their current struggle with the government and rather that alienating almost 10% of the current force if they opened their membership to the reserves it would streghten the association.

I assume that they are objecting to the fact that when a unit is short of numbers the only way to have an additional mobile unit out is to have a regular member driving and a reserve member in the left hand seat. Typical, they are not worried that members and the community would be at risk due to the lack of another car on mobile patrol. In my experience an official driver would not allow a reserve member to be an observer if he or she was not confident in their reserve colleagues abilities to do the job.
    Perhaps one day we will see a GRA Conference Agenda without a mention of the Garda Reserve and they can concentrate on real issues and the sole purpose of their exsistence 'To Champion the causes of their fee paying members'.
    If they had a proactive approach they would realise that every single reserve member and that number at the moment is 1247 is fully supportive of their full time colleagues in their current struggle with the government and rather that alienating almost 10% of the current force if they opened their membership to the reserves it would streghten the association.

While I can see the problem they might have, I can assure you if the reserve member was not there the full timer would be on there own in the car. If I was in the full time in a car by myself I would rather share it with a reserve member.

If the GRA just started supporting the reserves they could represent us reserves and get us on par with the specials in the UK. Instead they fight against the pool of reserves some of whom are in it too get into the full time putting a sour taste in some of the mouths. The main problem the GRA have with the reserves is they see it as a bunch of people taking up space that could be a possible recruitment drive. Honestly if the government wanted to recruit they would reserve or no reserve.

I myself would be happy to be supported by the GRA and I think it's something the full timers might try push for as reading on here alot of reserves want to be represented so certain things we can push for!

Here's hoping :)

Totally agree, by my estimation 85% of the GR are within the 18 to 35 age bracket and have joined in order to expand their experience and streghten their application in order to join full time. So you are quite right they are pitching against their future members.
    If only a more sensible approach was adapted by the GRA it would benefit the force and encourage more people to apply to join the reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

If the reserves cant even get the new powers they done the training for last Year, which is now 6mts on and they are no further in their powers, they are making a laughing stock of the reserves send them for upskilling then leave them without the powers, that makes total sense or is it let them think we will give them something so they wont all leave, carrot and donkey come to mind here.

It would have been expected that they would be in place by now but it may be the case that not all members have been up skilled.

It would have been expected that they would be in place by now but it may be the case that not all members have been up skilled.

As far as I know that is the problem. He won't sign off on it until everyone has received the upskilling.

As far as I know that is the problem. He won't sign off on it until everyone has received the upskilling.

So we have to wait for those that may never turn up for up skilling. Needs to be an end date so those of us who are interested can get on with the job

So we have to wait for those that may never turn up for up skilling. Needs to be an end date so those of us who are interested can get on with the job

True. But it's to cover themselves. Someone makes a massive balls up arresting under public order. They should in this case just let the people who have been signed off on it let us use it and dose without been signed off not allowed to use it.

• Advertisement

True. But it's to cover themselves. Someone makes a massive balls up arresting under public order. They should in this case just let the people who have been signed off on it let us use it and dose without been signed off not allowed to use it.

Totally agee so it's a wait and see but hopefully it will be soon there will have to be some training for the paper work but this may be on the job training

Advertisement